106 replies to this topic

#91 col_007

col_007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 12:17 AM

perhaps make a new ingenious state of the art missile that secretly could be launched at Parliament?

just a thought.

I reckon alot of British people would actually enjoy that :(

#92 Eurospy

Eurospy

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 01:06 AM

Please gentlemen, I love this forum because many of the times people are able to present and discuss their opinions without descending into such levels.

Sometimes we do have bad days and others step over the line a bit but in those cases let's please be the bigger men or women.

Foolish as it might be, certain fictional characters actually helped me be a better person. But Bond should still alway be about entertainment. And that is all. It is perfectly natural to become a bit angry at times, certain points do annoy one on many occasions, but please let us not resort to such insults born out of different perceptions of a character.

And as much as I love QOS let the people who hated it express their opinions on the level.

I'd say "peace" but that would make me sound hippie. So I'll say "cheers".

Cheers.

Edited by [dark], 10 December 2008 - 02:15 AM.

#93 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 02:13 AM

Whoa, enough with the bickering and crass remarks. That sort of stuff is totally uncalled-for. I've deleted the offending (read: offensive) posts.

Back on topic.

#94 Eurospy

Eurospy

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 03:02 AM

Craig's words immediately brought Thunderball to my mind.

It's exciting, yet in a more relaxed kind of way. It has more humour than the previous Bonds, but without being tongue in cheek.

I suspect that Bond 23 will be a bit more in the Thunderball mold, without resorting to a slightly more extreme corner as in TSWLM (another fave of mine).

#95 Quantumofsolace007

Quantumofsolace007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3488 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 03:07 AM

if it's a thunderball type film look no further then Risico for your title could easily be the name of a mission. or weapons.

#96 Byron

Byron

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1377 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 03:27 AM

if it's a thunderball type film look no further then Risico for your title could easily be the name of a mission. or weapons.

Personally i wanted a trilogy arc for Craig, so was disappointed when they announced a "fresh start". If Craig quits after 3 then it will feel strange that there is no closure regarding White and also have a new actor (who may play the role for laughs) come up against Quantum.

Regarding B23, non Fleming storylines have always resulted in weaker films (eg Brosnan era), i really hope they do not go down that path, but it seems inevitable unless they use unfilmed portions of the novels.

As it can't get much darker than QOS, the next film will most likely have a lighter tone, but as to how this will play is anyones guess. A TB style film would be okay but again the problem here is originality.

#97 Eurospy

Eurospy

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 03:50 AM

But, originality? How so? With a different approach? What kind of approach would that be?

#98 B. Ret Smythe

B. Ret Smythe

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 25 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 04:29 AM

For the next bond movie 'agent under fire' I would like to see Bond meet and team up with 006 Alex Travelan. This would set up the friendship we see in goldeneye which I have always found weird since in 1985 where the pre-titles sequence was set - Bond was still roger moore and in A View to a Kill he did not even mention that he was best mates with 006.

The continuity in the pre-Craig Bond films is really next to non-existent. When GOLDENEYE told me that 007 and 006 were best mates who went way back, I just said "okay" and accepted it, without really thinking about the other movies. Also since GOLDENEYE came out in '95, I believe the opening scene took place in '96, when Bond was between actors. :(

So during Livingdaylights and LicencetoKill, Bond was upset about 006's death. No wonder he got pissed off when felix almost died. losing two friends in the same decade mustve been hard... maybe even more so then the loss of vesper.

Also in 'Agent Under Fire' I would like to see leiter get diagnosed with vitalargo so we find out how he became white. Maybe the villain could give him the virus as a torture. They can keep jeffrey wright as the actor but paint him white. To make felix more comfortable about his new skin colour, Bond could go to the supermarket and buy some brown/black hair dye and dye his hair - so then we would also find out how his hair colour changes...

I really like how we are finding more and more about bond's backstory with these films.

#99 Eurospy

Eurospy

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 04:49 AM

Flaberggasted.

#100 Byron

Byron

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1377 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 06:22 AM

But, originality? How so? With a different approach? What kind of approach would that be?

Just to clarify, i doubt they can come up with an original (non-Fleming) based script/plot that doesn't suck. The Brosnan era scripts/plots were complete rubbish.

Similarly QOS was an original, and it was weak when compared to CR.

This is why i get worried about a "fresh approach". They may take the easy way out and just go for another topic of the month.

#101 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 09:31 AM

Though something tells me this Felix isn't about to take one in the gut all for the sake of Bond's coolness.

Here here.

I assume you mean "Hear Hear"

#102 00Twelve

00Twelve

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7706 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 09:36 AM

Though something tells me this Felix isn't about to take one in the gut all for the sake of Bond's coolness.

Here here.

I've actually seen it spelled that way (here) in print before, but it could have been an error, too.

Erring on the safe side,

"I wholeheartedly agree, Judo. Very good point."

:(

#103 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 09:39 AM

Here here.

I've actually seen it spelled that way (here) in print before, but it could have been an error, too.

Erring on the safe side,

"I wholeheartedly agree, Judo. Very good point."

:)

No probs. Just to explain the phrase - it's an abbreviation for "hear, all ye good people, hear what this brilliant and eloquent speaker has to say"

It's all about the fact that you have listened to someone's comment and agree with it.

:(

#104 YouKnowTheName

YouKnowTheName

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 227 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 02:09 PM

The next film has to have a more relaxed Bond, really. He spends the whole of QOS smarting from the end of CR, so the way he is is totally the right way to go and completely appropriate.

Its also worth remembering that yes, QOS does have a noticably weaker story, but it is really only the second half of CRs story, and judged with that in mind it stands up a whole lot better.

I think what Craig may mean is that the story arc with Bond and Vesper is done, which it is, going back to it would be needlessly dragging it out like they did with Batmans parents. So that story arc is closed, but the Quantum sub-plot could still be used. (And it is a sub-plot, the main plot is Bond himself). I think thet are right to come at it from a different angle, rather than just "and then Bond went after the NEXT member of Quantum". Maybe seemingly unrelated villain who later turns out to be involved in the overall plot (Like Shatterhand turning out to be Blofeld late into YOLT). But the Quantum plot is by no means finished. I'm sure Craig couldn't mean that.

Also, I quite liked the freefall sequence in QOS.

#105 pgram

pgram

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 03:47 PM

Couldn't be bothered to read all four pages of the thread, so forgive me if this has been mentioned before, but I believe the most important thing we learn from DC's interview is that they 're actually reading these. They do get the points made by the fans. We can actually contribute to the outcome of the next film. So, please, post cautiously...

#106 Quantumofsolace007

Quantumofsolace007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3488 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 05:02 PM

Couldn't be bothered to read all four pages of the thread, so forgive me if this has been mentioned before, but I believe the most important thing we learn from DC's interview is that they 're actually reading these. They do get the points made by the fans. We can actually contribute to the outcome of the next film. So, please, post cautiously...

If thats the Case Bond 23 is the property of a lady Q and moneypenny will be background charactters at best there will be no bond car it will maintai the dark style of QOS a Chris nolanesque Director will be at the helm and Haggis Wade and purvis will be gone. It will be released in 2010 and fleming chracters like Jack spang will probably be used.

put a rock theme and i'm happy. though my fave is still the hildebrand rarity.

#107 Publius

Publius

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3225 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 06:03 PM

Bugger that. I want him to go straight to his DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER!

I think there are more DAF influences in QoS than people have yet to realize.

Its also worth remembering that yes, QOS does have a noticably weaker story,

I think it's simpler, not weaker. It's really only as weak as CR, given how strongly it ties itself to its predecessor.

But I couldn't agree with you more about Bond being the focus and Quantum a sub-plot. I think QoS also served as a transition from Vesper to this shadowy menace (and the others inevitably out there) as the force that drives Bond and what his thoughts are constantly centered around. His personal experiences and sense of professional duty have melded into one now, hopefully making even the most basic of missions he has yet to undertake that much more emotionally significant.