90 replies to this topic

#61 Santa

Santa

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6445 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 10:15 PM

I doubt she's qualified to comment on a movie given she's watching a less than stellar quality version of it on her computer.

I swear to Pete, Hilde. Why do you say things like this? To make me feel ashamed for agreeing with you on anything?

I doubt you’re qualified to comment on any film if you think the only way to properly comment on a film is if you can watch a version of ‘stellar quality’.
Yes, it’s true that no movie reviews were worth spit until DVD overtook VHS as the preferred medium.

Eeewwww, much as I hate to step on your point here, JC, I tend to agree with him. I can't watch it unless it's a perfect copy. Occupational hazard.

#62 Athena007

Athena007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12936 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 10:16 PM

I doubt she's qualified to comment on a movie given she's watching a less than stellar quality version of it on her computer.

When she said she was still typing as the credits rolled and then she again sat down to watch it while stuffing her fat face with cheese and onion soup and a large tub of ice cream...did it not dawn on anyone what was up?

HR... this really had to stop. She's not watching it on her computer, #1. And you're on the line of abusing another member. We do appreciate your concern for the site and having it "clean" as so not to be shut down. And it definitely is something to be concerned about and I thank you for your tenacity. But as a moderator I have checked out the situation and it's ok.

OK... I have talked to Santa and the copy she has is A PERFECTLY LEGAL COPY. And from talking to her I can understand why she doesn't want to explain how she has access. So just to clarify for the members and for the safety of our site: Santa is not watching a pirated copy of Quantum of Solace.

I thought the dvd wasn't out till March?

FYI... there are Academy Screeners out there and other forms of legal copies of the film. Though she doesn't have a screener she does have a legal copy. End of discussion.

#63 Judo chop

Judo chop

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7461 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 10:24 PM

Eeewwww, much as I hate to step on your point here, JC, I tend to agree with him. I can't watch it unless it's a perfect copy. Occupational hazard.

Now c'mon! What nonsense is this? I agree in that I prefer to watch a film in HD and on a big screen, in digital surround. I love my home theater. I won't watch a film on VHS.

But to say that a person's understanding of a film is lessened (or, in the case of Hilde's argument, utterly 'unqualified unless audio/video quality is pristine'), is ridiculous.

I can still witness quality acting and understand a storyline from a twice-copied VHS tape, played into an 18" screen.

#64 Santa

Santa

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6445 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 10:26 PM

Now c'mon! What nonsense is this? I agree that I prefer to watch a film in HD and on a big screen. I won't watch a film on VHS, either. But to say that a person's understanding of a film is lessened (or, in the case of Hilde's argument, utterly 'unqualified unless audio/video quality is pristine'), is ridiculous.

I can still witness quality acting and understand a storyline from a twice-copied VHS tape, played into an 18" screen.

True, but let's not forget that my main complaint about the film has been with its visuals, so he could have had a point.

#65 Judo chop

Judo chop

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7461 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 03:25 PM

True, but let's not forget that my main complaint about the film has been with its visuals, so he could have had a point.

Ok, I’m BACK!

I spent several hours tossing and turning, thinking long and hard on this matter last night. And I’ve come to the conclusion that you’re both whackjobs.

If Hilde meant to say:

“Santa’s appreciation of the quick and choppy editing in Quantum of Solace is going to be hampered, given that she’s watching a handheld videocam bootleg copy of it on her tiny computer screen”, then I apologize. I can see a point in that. If that was his intent, I apologize to him for jumping down his throat.

But what he said was:

“Less than stellar quality” might have been a figure of speech intending to mean “very, very poor quality”, but he made no specific mention of the action scenes in Quantum of Solace, or even Quantum of Solace at all for that matter. No, it looks like he’s claiming quite categorically that anyone who watches a pirated version of a film, somehow in doing so relinquishes all ability to understand said film in any capacity, rendering all of their opinions null and void and unworthy of being posted in a discussion forum.

It’s a lame thing to say and I’m realizing an even lamer thing to continue to discuss. I now feel the need to apologize to everyone anyhow. Court adjourned. I’ll be in my chambers nursing my wine and flanksteak hangover.

#66 dodge

dodge

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5068 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 03:59 PM

Santa, I love you dearly--in a strictly appropriate way: you're the only person on earth who could HYPOTHETICALLY award the film five stars...without really having a good thing to say about it!

I'll look forward to an update after your second viewing. I'm not sure you'll be able to withstand JC's nonstop efforts to persuade you that this film is better than you think. :(

#67 Santa

Santa

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6445 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 06:07 PM

Ok, I’m BACK!

I spent several hours tossing and turning, thinking long and hard on this matter last night. And I’ve come to the conclusion that you’re both whackjobs.

I'm not.

If Hilde meant to say:

“Santa’s appreciation of the quick and choppy editing in Quantum of Solace is going to be hampered, given that she’s watching a handheld videocam bootleg copy of it on her tiny computer screen”, then I apologize. I can see a point in that. If that was his intent, I apologize to him for jumping down his throat.

But what he said was:

“Less than stellar quality” might have been a figure of speech intending to mean “very, very poor quality”, but he made no specific mention of the action scenes in Quantum of Solace, or even Quantum of Solace at all for that matter. No, it looks like he’s claiming quite categorically that anyone who watches a pirated version of a film, somehow in doing so relinquishes all ability to understand said film in any capacity, rendering all of their opinions null and void and unworthy of being posted in a discussion forum.

Given that HR shows no signs of apologising for having called me fat, I'm inclined to agree with you.

Santa, I love you dearly--in a strictly appropriate way: you're the only person on earth who could HYPOTHETICALLY award the film five stars...without really having a good thing to say about it!

I'll look forward to an update after your second viewing. I'm not sure you'll be able to withstand JC's nonstop efforts to persuade you that this film is better than you think. :(

I did see it a second time and it got worse, not better. But that's OK, Judo Chop and I are very civilised in our disagreements. We would never call each other fat, for example.

#68 CM007

CM007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 298 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 02:07 PM

When she said she was still typing as the credits rolled and then she again sat down to watch it while stuffing her fat face with cheese and onion soup and a large tub of ice cream...did it not dawn on anyone what was up?

OK... I have talked to Santa and the copy she has is A PERFECTLY LEGAL COPY. And from talking to her I can understand why she doesn't want to explain how she has access. So just to clarify for the members and for the safety of our site: Santa is not watching a pirated copy of Quantum of Solace.

Who cares...Get :(in over it...and get over yourself....

#69 Judo chop

Judo chop

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7461 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 02:14 PM

I love CM007 posts. Pulls out a conversation that happened 2 days ago and responds, "Who cares?".

Brilliant. :(

#70 dodge

dodge

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5068 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 02:20 PM

Ok, I’m BACK!

I'm not.

If Hilde meant to say:

But what he said was:

Given that HR shows no signs of apologising for having called me fat, I'm inclined to agree with you.

I did see it a second time and it got worse, not better. But that's OK, Judo Chop and I are very civilised in our disagreements. We would never call each other fat, for example.

I quite agree.

Are you saying that Judo's physique is...robust?

#71 Judo chop

Judo chop

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7461 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 02:29 PM

Are you saying that Judo's physique is...robust?

Robust only in flavor. A deep, smokey chocolate, with hints of dark berry and oak.

#72 HildebrandRarity

HildebrandRarity

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4361 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 02:44 PM

Um...did you note the date?

I guess you're even dumber than I thought you were.

:) off.

#73 Publius

Publius

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3225 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 03:35 PM

Shouldn't there have been a bit where he explains that those people over there are the baddies and he has work to do there, and she reluctantly concedes that they're both on the same side? Or something along those lines.

I think a scene like that is the first kind Forster was eager to ax. They're seldom interesting, and it's by no means a stretch to imply that they've already (and probably briefly) discussed this. Really, if it's obvious to you, me, and everyone else watching, there's no need to handle such boring minutia on-screen.

Still, one of Forster's many deliberate choices that I can understand if you simply dislike. The film IS ruthlessly efficient throughout. I just don't think this part, nor many others being criticized similarly, are actual mistakes.

Also, when Bond and Greene have their big fight at La Perla de las Dunas and they hear a shot, Greene says "sounds like you've lost another one mwahhh ha ha ha ha haaaaaaa!!!". But hang on a minute, they're all in a big fight and the hotel is exploding around them - how does Greene know that shot is Camille in there with Medrano? He hasn't even seen her there. For that matter, with big bangs going on around them, why does that particular gunshot bang make Bond look up - would he even know that's Medrano's room?

The last time he saw them they left his party together. Neither has turned up dead yet, although Mathis has. The man in the desert who "sold" them the plane was really selling them out to Bolivian authorities, and thus Greene, and when none of the Bolivian forces returns from the aerial attack on Bond and Camille, there's a big question mark hanging over their fate.

When Bond shows up, Greene probably (and logically) figures Camille is also there, being that she had it in for him and Medrano. After hearing a gunshot it would only confirm his suspicions, given that only Medrano and his men were left in the hotel, and he'd/they'd only have reason to shoot if Bond had an ally present (Mathis is dead, Fields is dead, MI6 is trying to stop/catch Bond, and the CIA is eating out the palm of Greene's hand, leaving only Camille). I agree, though, that Bond and Greene being able to hear the gunshot was implausible.

And (as if I need to carry on slagging it off), I think Forster tried a bit too hard with the sentimental moments - Bond and Camille's little chat in the sinkhole was fine, but Camille on about releasing Bond from his prison later on, yawn.

Well, it's a more digestible version of the "armor" dialog in CR, so if you liked that (which I don't know if you do) you should have no problem with this. It's meant to recall that, for the audience as well as Bond.

But more than that, I think Mathis (a rare bright light for the most part) overdoes his defence of Vesper. At his home he makes his point, she loved and died for Bond, fine. It works well, gives Vesper a good place in the film. But why does he go on about it with his dying breath? That was overkill, IMO.

Despite their short time together, I think they clearly developed a bond. And given their lonely line of work, that relatively short time isn't as short (or should I say, as insignificant) as it'd be for you or me. Their relationship was one of a seasoned veteran of the business imparting his wisdom (including his dry sense of humor and love of the finer things in life) onto a much greener operative. Not quite father and son, but maybe older uncle and younger nephew. Still, for an orphan and somewhat naive newly-minted international agent, that's undoubtedly a valued role Mathis played in shaping Bond's worldview.

And given that Mathis was now enjoying retirement and had a clear conscience (with Bond even apologizing as best he could), it makes sense for him to spend his dying moments trying to help Bond finally get over his demons and find his quantum of solace. Indeed, his last words were "forgive yourself." What better advice to give a colleague in that career, and what better way to sum up what has likely been the most important lesson he's long since learned himself?

#74 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 03:48 PM

Couldn't have put it better myself, Pub; bravo! :(

#75 HildebrandRarity

HildebrandRarity

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4361 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 04:09 PM

Couldn't have put it better myself, Pub; bravo! :(

Yes, indeed! Bravo to Publius. Double bravo.

I fear, however, that his fine, lucid and utterly logical explainations will be lost on a few ears here.

#76 ImTheMoneypenny

ImTheMoneypenny

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1352 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 04:31 PM

Publius totally agree! Couldn't say it better. :) :(

#77 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 05:01 PM

Oh, tsk. Please be nice.

#78 Santa

Santa

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6445 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 06:05 PM

Shouldn't there have been a bit where he explains that those people over there are the baddies and he has work to do there, and she reluctantly concedes that they're both on the same side? Or something along those lines.

I think a scene like that is the first kind Forster was eager to ax. They're seldom interesting, and it's by no means a stretch to imply that they've already (and probably briefly) discussed this. Really, if it's obvious to you, me, and everyone else watching, there's no need to handle such boring minutia on-screen.

Still, one of Forster's many deliberate choices that I can understand if you simply dislike. The film IS ruthlessly efficient throughout. I just don't think this part, nor many others being criticized similarly, are actual mistakes.

Also, when Bond and Greene have their big fight at La Perla de las Dunas and they hear a shot, Greene says "sounds like you've lost another one mwahhh ha ha ha ha haaaaaaa!!!". But hang on a minute, they're all in a big fight and the hotel is exploding around them - how does Greene know that shot is Camille in there with Medrano? He hasn't even seen her there. For that matter, with big bangs going on around them, why does that particular gunshot bang make Bond look up - would he even know that's Medrano's room?

The last time he saw them they left his party together. Neither has turned up dead yet, although Mathis has. The man in the desert who "sold" them the plane was really selling them out to Bolivian authorities, and thus Greene, and when none of the Bolivian forces returns from the aerial attack on Bond and Camille, there's a big question mark hanging over their fate.

When Bond shows up, Greene probably (and logically) figures Camille is also there, being that she had it in for him and Medrano. After hearing a gunshot it would only confirm his suspicions, given that only Medrano and his men were left in the hotel, and he'd/they'd only have reason to shoot if Bond had an ally present (Mathis is dead, Fields is dead, MI6 is trying to stop/catch Bond, and the CIA is eating out the palm of Greene's hand, leaving only Camille). I agree, though, that Bond and Greene being able to hear the gunshot was implausible.

And (as if I need to carry on slagging it off), I think Forster tried a bit too hard with the sentimental moments - Bond and Camille's little chat in the sinkhole was fine, but Camille on about releasing Bond from his prison later on, yawn.

Well, it's a more digestible version of the "armor" dialog in CR, so if you liked that (which I don't know if you do) you should have no problem with this. It's meant to recall that, for the audience as well as Bond.

But more than that, I think Mathis (a rare bright light for the most part) overdoes his defence of Vesper. At his home he makes his point, she loved and died for Bond, fine. It works well, gives Vesper a good place in the film. But why does he go on about it with his dying breath? That was overkill, IMO.

Despite their short time together, I think they clearly developed a bond. And given their lonely line of work, that relatively short time isn't as short (or should I say, as insignificant) as it'd be for you or me. Their relationship was one of a seasoned veteran of the business imparting his wisdom (including his dry sense of humor and love of the finer things in life) onto a much greener operative. Not quite father and son, but maybe older uncle and younger nephew. Still, for an orphan and somewhat naive newly-minted international agent, that's undoubtedly a valued role Mathis played in shaping Bond's worldview.

And given that Mathis was now enjoying retirement and had a clear conscience (with Bond even apologizing as best he could), it makes sense for him to spend his dying moments trying to help Bond finally get over his demons and find his quantum of solace. Indeed, his last words were "forgive yourself." What better advice to give a colleague in that career, and what better way to sum up what has likely been the most important lesson he's long since learned himself?

That all makes perfect sense and I can understand why other people are happy about it, it just doesn't work for me is all.

#79 Judo chop

Judo chop

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7461 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 06:21 PM

That all makes perfect sense and I can understand why other people are happy about it, it just doesn't work for me is all.

:(

#80 HildebrandRarity

HildebrandRarity

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4361 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 06:21 PM

Oh, tsk. Please be nice.

Fine, but I actually dropped it two days ago after Athena's last post. So I didn't begin this...and neither was I the first one to use an expletive. :)

#81 Santa

Santa

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6445 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 06:29 PM

Fine, but I actually dropped it two days ago after Athena's last post.

Hmmmmm. But you still haven't apologised for calling me fat.

#82 HildebrandRarity

HildebrandRarity

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4361 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 06:48 PM

According to Athena's private message to me, it appeared to her that you "egged me on".

In addition, I'm secure with myself to neither ask nor accept an apology from you for your initial behaviour. In fact, I don't want an apology from you so I wouldn't hold my breath for one from me.

I actually totally and completely dropped the matter after Athena's final post.

I prefer not dwelling on the past and I suggest you not either.

#83 Santa

Santa

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6445 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 07:01 PM

According to Athena's private message to me, it appeared to her that you "egged me on".

In addition, I'm secure with myself to neither ask nor accept an apology from you for your initial behaviour. In fact, I don't want an apology from you so I wouldn't hold my breath for one from me.

The thing is, none of that has anything to do with you calling me fat. It's a slightly different issue, no?

#84 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 07:53 PM

Well, they'll print anything these days... :(

#85 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 05 December 2008 - 08:21 AM

Go away, you wanker! :(

#86 Cabainus

Cabainus

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 372 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 09:49 AM

What's this thread supposed to be about again??

#87 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 10:31 AM

What's this thread supposed to be about again??

Finality.

Which, in the current mood of grumpiness, strikes one as an especially appealing prospect.

#88 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 10:41 AM

*releases latches on Jim and the Damn Cat's cages*

Go get 'em boys!

*sits down with bowl of popcorn*

This is gonna be sweeeeeeeeeeeeet.

Christmas is coming...

I wouldn't be bashing "Santa" this time of year if you know what's best for you.

#89 Santa

Santa

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6445 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 11:48 AM

One thing I wanted to add; I didn't know that my oh so controversial copy of QoS was going to appear because the person who has it had said to me previously that she didn't like Bond, so I didn't expect her to watch it. However, turns out she was so impressed by CR that she was keen to see this one. Unfortunately, she really didn't like it, she had exactly the same complaints as me. However, I don't want her to give up on Bond so I haven't told her I agree with everything she has said, I've lied and told her I think it's a masterpiece :(. I've given her all kinds of explanations for what she doesn't like and told her she has to catch up with the modern style of filmmaking. Oh the things people will do in the name of Bond fandom :).

#90 HildebrandRarity

HildebrandRarity

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4361 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 01:53 PM

Go away, you wanker! :(

What is it about my post you didn't like?

It seems quite polite.

I actually BOUGHT many tickets and PAID to see the movie a handful of times. The person who started this thread, on the contrary, contributed nothing to the movie's box office. She saw it for free.

And you call me a "wanker"?

Get some perspective. I understand you're a moderator. That's wonderful. But i'm quite certain that Eon would want someone in your position to support a paying fan like me instead of denigrating me.

In case you failed to notice, I was actually trying to protect the website from possible legal action given the thread starter stated she had no problem with piracy.

I thought that was actually a good thing.

I was clearly mistaken.

Have a Merry Christmas, Brett.