46 replies to this topic

#31 ChrissBond007

ChrissBond007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1552 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 05:52 PM

I don't know if ''Lazneby'' does have his own era, but if you mean ''Lazenby''... :(

Serious now. Yes, I think we can call that one film the Lazenby era. The movie has the same class as the Connery ones, but it feels like a much bigger adventure with a unique feeling. So, yes OHMSS is the only part of the short Lazenby era.

#32 DR76

DR76

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1673 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 08:16 PM

I think within the scope of popular culture, an era can certainly occur within the frame of a single year. But I don't think a single film constitutes an era in the context of a twenty plus film series.

Connery had a classic era; Moore definitely had a solid era; Timothy Dalton's era was short-lived; Brosnan's era lasted a little longer; Craig is nearly in the middle of his.

What? Connery had a classic era? Since when? As far as I'm concerned, the eras of the different actors are based upon the years their films were released, not whether they were "classic" or "solid".

Do you have to get quite so offended everytime someone casually praises Connery?

I just get tired of people describing his era as "classical". To me, Connery's era was no more "classy" than Moore's, Brosnan's or anyone else. If you're equating "classical" with "old" . . . I can buy that.

Edited by DR76, 04 December 2008 - 08:18 PM.

#33 Dr.Mirakle32

Dr.Mirakle32

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 254 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 08:20 PM

Even though Dr. No, From Russian with Love, Goldfinger, and to a lesser extent, Thunderball are all considered iconic cinematic classics, even outside Bond-fandom.

I don't know if ''Lazneby'' does have his own era, but if you mean ''Lazenby''...

Gotta love typos. I didn't even notice that until you pointed it out.

#34 dodge

dodge

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5068 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 05:36 PM

One film does not an era make?

Fine with me, so long as the same standard is applied to the Marc Forster Era. :(

#35 Judo chop

Judo chop

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7461 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 08:03 PM

ERA

Def. a period of time marked by distinctive character, events, etc.

Yes. OHMSS doesn’t make George Lazenby an era so much as George Lazenby, the instant he took over from Sean Connery, made the Bond events of 1969 distinctive, and thus a Bond era.

#36 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 10:58 PM

I don't know if ''Lazneby'' does have his own era, but if you mean ''Lazenby''... :(

I had noticed the misspelling also, but thought it somewhat poetic that a thread devoted to debating George Lazenby's standing and stature in the Bond community would be unable to even get his name spelled right.

No more poetry. Title corrected.

#37 bondrules

bondrules

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2190 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 11:11 PM

IMHO, the era is the period when one is Bond. On and Off the screen.

When PB was officially crowned Bond in 1994 his era began. Until his successor was announced in 2005, Brosnan was Bond. For him, 11 years. Ditto for the rest.

So Lazenby's era would be something like 69-71.

#38 Double-Oh Agent

Double-Oh Agent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4325 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 05:30 AM

I would say George Lazenby has an era, but it's an era that's within another era, i.e. sandwiched between Sean Connery's films, which went from 1962-67 and resumed in 1971.

#39 Christopher006

Christopher006

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 69 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 04:55 PM

Connery had a classic era; Moore definitely had a solid era; Timothy Dalton's era was short-lived; Brosnan's era lasted a little longer; Craig is nearly in the middle of his.

If Connery never came back for DAF, OHMSS and Lazenby would have been the shortest era in the Bond dynasty. But Connery's return and the relative obsurity of OHMSS to very casual fans might have taken that away.

Do think poor George really has one, or is OHMSS just a strong footnote within the the history of the Connery era?

I don't think Lazenby had an era. He is just some guy that Eon had to use temporarily until they could get Connery back. Think of Lazenby as a substitute teacher assigned to teach a class while their regular instructor is in bed with a 100 degree temperature.

Edited by Christopher006, 17 December 2008 - 04:58 PM.

#40 dodge

dodge

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5068 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 08:52 PM

If Connery never came back for DAF, OHMSS and Lazenby would have been the shortest era in the Bond dynasty. But Connery's return and the relative obsurity of OHMSS to very casual fans might have taken that away.

Do think poor George really has one, or is OHMSS just a strong footnote within the the history of the Connery era?

I don't think Lazenby had an era. He is just some guy that Eon had to use temporarily until they could get Connery back. Think of Lazenby as a substitute teacher assigned to teach a class while their regular instructor is in bed with a 100 degree temperature.

Hardly. Eon was pleased enough to offer him big bucks for a long run. The run was aborted by his ego and bad advice from his then-agent. Still, the movie's been gathering more and more respect, with today's crowds being wowed not whoa-ed by the Bond who did it once and decided to move on. An imperfect performance, but one with its own inimitable strengths.

#41 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 01:23 AM

What? Connery had a classic era? Since when? As far as I'm concerned, the eras of the different actors are based upon the years their films were released, not whether they were "classic" or "solid".

Do you have to get quite so offended everytime someone casually praises Connery?

I just get tired of people describing his era as "classical". To me, Connery's era was no more "classy" than Moore's, Brosnan's or anyone else. If you're equating "classical" with "old" . . . I can buy that.

The first 4 Bond movies are certainly "classics" and by "classics" and I don't mean "old" or "classy". They are very much classics (esp. the first 3) in the same way that Casablanca and Citizen Kane are classics. They were movies that changed the way movies were made and they influenced culture. None of the later Bond movies starring Lazenby, Moore, Dalton, Brosnan or Craig made the cultural impact that the first 4 Bond films starring Connery made. So yes, Connery certainly had the "classic" era.

#42 Safari Suit

Safari Suit

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5099 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 09:49 AM

I don't know if he had the only classic era, but he certainly had a classic era, and by most standards had the classic era.

#43 hdmyg8586

hdmyg8586

Recruit

• Crew
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 02:13 AM

This clock projects the time, date, or temp on the wall or ceiling http://www.liangdian...om/clocks_1.htm some people call
it a ceiling clock but I call it a digital projection clock. I got the black one because at the time that was the only color
they had. But now they have them in black and also in white.

#44 DavidSomerset

DavidSomerset

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 04:06 AM

Yes, Lazenby has and deserves his own era.
It is called Serpukhovian era (326 million years ago).
http://en.wikipedia....niferous#Plants

This was when the first large primitive trees came into existence. Wooden things and wooden acting started from that era. :(

Posted Image

#45 Alex Zamudio

Alex Zamudio

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 06:30 AM

Well maybe not an era, but OHMSS is a fine film, loved and considered a classic by many 007 fans and praised by many critics (and fellow Bond actors) as a strong entry in the series. Lazenby just needed to grow into the role, which he chose not to...
OHMSS is on my top 5 Bond films.

#46 dodge

dodge

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5068 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 05:21 PM

Well maybe not an era, but OHMSS is a fine film, loved and considered a classic by many 007 fans and praised by many critics (and fellow Bond actors) as a strong entry in the series. Lazenby just needed to grow into the role, which he chose not to...OHMSS is on my top 5 Bond films.

Well said. And after seeing QOS I would also add: it only took Lazenby one film to be a one-Bond wonder. So far it's taken Craig two. And unless he redeems himself with his third...:(

#47 Professor Pi

Professor Pi

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1430 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 05:52 PM

While Lazenby may not have an era, OHMSS is the most referenced film (after Goldfinger) in the entire Bond canon. There's explicit references in TSWLM, FYEO, and LTK. There's subtle hints in DAF and LALD about marriage, albeit played for laughs. Then of course, there's the controversial TWINE, whose very title comes from OHMSS. Oddly, I can't recall DAD referring to OHMSS despite it's catch-all of every other Bond film. And of course, OHMSS acknowledges previous Bond adventures.

I like to think of the "continuity" in this order: ...YOLT-DAF-OHMSS-FYEO-LALD, etc. Except for the actors' ages, dated technology, and Blofeld's inability to recognize Bond with glasses, everything else makes sense this way.