10 replies to this topic

#1 White Persian

White Persian

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 08 June 2001 - 05:34 AM

It's true (to quote Ruby Bartlett). George Lazenby made several comebacks as James Bond, though on a small scale and unofficially.
In the 1983 TV movie "The Return of the Man From Uncle", George turns up behind the wheel of a silver Aston Martin DB5 with "J.B." plates, wearing a white tux, to wipe out some bad guys chasing "Napoleon Solo, Uncle's finest" around Las Vegas.They exchange nods, and "J.B." drives off.
In an episode of the 80's revival of Alfred Hitchcock presents, Lazenby parachutes into a ski resort under a Union Jack 'chute, wearing a tux, and gets involved in a silly "ten little Indians"style murder mystery. A running gag is that every time he introduces himself "my name's..." some loud background noise obscures the name.
There was also an episode of an 80s series with Lee van Cleef called "The Master", that I only saw a trailer for, that seemed to cast him as another Bond alike.
All of these strengthen my feeling that if he hadn't bailed - and bail he did - George might have gone the distance as the Bond of the 70s and 80s.

#2 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 21 June 2001 - 12:55 AM

I dont' find Moore's early humour that bad. It was his later stuff that annoyed me.

#3 The Mastermind III

The Mastermind III

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 34 posts

Posted 22 June 2001 - 03:23 AM

Lazenby could've been more comfortable in the role after a couple more films, but I prefer Moore,

#4 mrmoon

mrmoon

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 22 June 2001 - 11:07 AM

Moore's the man.

#5 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 08 June 2001 - 04:53 PM

White Persian (08 Jun, 2001 06:34 a.m.):
In an episode of the 80's revival of Alfred Hitchcock presents, Lazenby parachutes into a ski resort under a Union Jack 'chute, wearing a tux, and gets involved in a silly "ten little Indians"style murder mystery. A running gag is that every time he introduces himself "my name's..." some loud background noise obscures the name.

This I didn't know about. I'd like to see it.

#6 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 08 June 2001 - 10:09 PM

I knew that he'd done somethings but Wihe Persian those details are amazing!

#7 Digitarius

Digitarius

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 136 posts

Posted 11 June 2001 - 12:05 PM

But the problem is that he never returned as the OFFICIAL James Bond, the Bond which we all adore.

#8 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 12 June 2001 - 12:16 AM

It would have been good if he had. I don't think he would be hated so much as Bond and I really think he would have slipped into the role.

#9 Digitarius

Digitarius

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 136 posts

Posted 20 June 2001 - 03:45 PM

I would have preferred him than Moore's humour.

#10 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 15 August 2003 - 03:07 PM

Originally posted by White Persian
It's true (to quote Ruby Bartlett). George Lazenby made several comebacks as James Bond, though on a small scale and unofficially.
In the 1983 TV movie "The Return of the Man From Uncle", George turns up behind the wheel of a silver Aston Martin DB5 with "J.B." plates, wearing a white tux, to wipe out some bad guys chasing "Napoleon Solo, Uncle's finest" around Las Vegas.They exchange nods, and "J.B." drives off.

I remember seeing this on television and thinking it was really cool...Doesn't Solo also say something about "professional courtesy" or something.

#11 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 15 August 2003 - 07:34 PM

Originally posted by DLibrasnow

I remember seeing this on television and thinking it was really cool...Doesn't Solo also say something about "professional courtesy" or something.

I don't remember that line, just Solo doing some double takes and his female companion mentioning the situation is just like in On Her Majesty's Secret Service.