9 replies to this topic

#1 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 12:19 AM

When is the organisation first referred to as Quantum, and how many times is it mentioned by name in the film?

Ta.

#2 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 12:56 AM

Don't quote me on it, but I recall twice. The first might have been by Greene at Tosca.

But don't quote me on it.

#3 HildebrandRarity

HildebrandRarity

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4361 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 01:12 AM

When they meet at Bregenz to discuss whether to pursue the Canadian or whether Quantum's top priority should be Bolivia, with Greene insisting on the second option.

And the second and final time is when Bond leaves Greene in the desert and he says (paraphrasing) "I answered your questions*. I told you about Quantum."

* I took that to mean where to possibly track down or find Yusef, i.e. Kazzan in Russia.

#4 BlackFire

BlackFire

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1300 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 04:22 AM

I can only recall Bond looking the Q and then Dominic saying the things about top priorities.

Then in the dessert Greene says 'I told you all you wanted to know about Quantum'

But then.. the MI6 knew about them already.

#5 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 10:56 AM

Cheers, folks.

#6 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 12:25 PM

If the name Quantum is mentioned only twice, it's understandable that plenty of people have complained that they can't see the reason for the film to be called QUANTUM OF SOLACE.

How easy would it have been to have written some dialogue for Bond or M or Leiter or someone along the lines of:

We've discovered that the organisation has a name. *Dramatic pause* Quantum.

SOMEONE ELSE: Quantum?

Yes, Quantum. Don't know why, but that's what its members call it.

SOMEONE ELSE: And they've been around for years and we've only just found out about them? Clearly we're going to have to make a quantum leap in our intelligence-gathering!

Tacky, exposition-ridden dialogue? Certainly, but many, many films would have used it.

So I guess QUANTUM OF SOLACE most definitely does not spoonfeed its audience. :(

#7 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 12:50 PM

If the name Quantum is mentioned only twice, it's understandable that plenty of people have complained that they can't see the reason for the film to be called QUANTUM OF SOLACE.

How easy would it have been to have written some dialogue for Bond or M or Leiter or someone along the lines of:

SOMEONE ELSE: And they've been around for years and we've only just found out about them? Clearly we're going to have to make a quantum leap in our intelligence-gathering!

Tacky, exposition-ridden dialogue? Certainly, but many, many films would have used it.

So I guess QUANTUM OF SOLACE most definitely does not spoonfeed its audience. :(

AFRICAN CONFLICT DIAMONDS!

#8 double o ego

double o ego

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1261 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 12:59 PM

Quantum may be the name of the organization but with regards to the film's title, it has more to do with Bond's level of emotional comfort and satisfaction. The org being called Quantum is more of an ironic twist. This film as the title clearly suggests, is all about Bond and his state of mind.

#9 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 01:03 PM

Wasn't there a scene cut from the movie that involved Mathis discussing what Quantum is to Bond on the plane?

#10 HildebrandRarity

HildebrandRarity

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4361 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 06:28 PM

So I guess QUANTUM OF SOLACE most definitely does not spoonfeed its audience. :)

Many films, as you suggest, would use your tacky dialogue. Another reason why this movie IS the best James Bond film yet.

Mentioning it twice should be more than enough. It's subtle reference and double meaning is more than you get from some other Bond movie titles.

If people don't have a grasp of the English language why should intelligent fans have to put up with tackyness (sic.)?

Be thankful that we love a movie series that has it's own set of unique and (mostly) evocative titles.

If it were the other series we'd be getting something :( like The Bourne Solace.