CBn reviews 'SilverFin: The Graphic Novel'

#2 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 04:45 PM

Excellent review [dark]. I like what you said about Walker developing the image of Bond -- particularly in the eyes -- throughout the book. You're right. I really hope they continue with the series. For whatever reason, I look forward to a DOD graphic novel the most.

#3 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 05:25 PM

Thanks, zencat. Like I said, this is one of the first comic books I've ever read, so it was a total learning curve. But Walker's artwork is, quite simply, fantastic. He clearly understands the Young Bond universe - and the brutal way in which he shows Max Bond's capture and torture gives a damn good indication that he'd have a terrific grasp on the adult Bond as well.

Double or Die would be terrific to see adapted (I'm dying to see how he'd depict the gruesome Hunterian Museum), but Blood Fever is my Young Bond bar - the mosquito torture, the gun fight in the cave, the pirates... bring it on!

#4 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 05:27 PM

From what Charlie said recently, more graphic novels are contingent on the success of this one, so it's good to see CBn give this book the attention it deserves and get the word out. With the exceptions of K1Bond007.com and Double O Section, this major release (three years in the making) has been uniformly ignored on other Bond websites.

#5 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 05:37 PM

I really hope it is a success - it deserves to be. Does anyone know if graphic novels are popular in the UK?

(When I was in the UK, I believe that the book was being shelved in the graphic novel section - I have a feeling this might alienate its key audience. Here in Canada, bookstores stock it where it belongs: right beside Higson's novels.)

One thing I forgot to mention in my review is the book itself - it's a quality product. The pages are made of a fairly thick, glossy paper, giving the whole book a really weighty kind of feel. It's clear that the whole endeavour has been lovingly put together.

#6 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 05:38 PM

Yes, but does it have a gunbarrel sequence every ten pages? There is no point otherwise.

#7 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 05:41 PM

Yes, but does it have a gunbarrel sequence every ten pages? There is no point otherwise.

It's at the end. :(

#8 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 05:43 PM

With the exceptions of K1Bond007.com

I wouldn't give it an exception. :( I could have done way more. Too burnt out on Bond at the time though. It has largely gone without much press though. Such as a shame.

Good review dark.

#9 MarkA

MarkA

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 06:38 PM

I agree with the above, should have had way more publicity here in the UK. In a year where the major stuff disappointed me (Devil May Care, QOS) this is superb. Plus By Royal Command was pretty good too. Funny always thought Young Bond was a really lousy idea, but it has been an artistic triumph from the word go. I think it reflects the talent and passion that Charlie Higson has put into it.

#10 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 06:49 PM

Funny always thought Young Bond was a really lousy idea, but it has been an artistic triumph from the word go. I think it reflects the talent and passion that Charlie Higson has put into it.

I think that's the crux of it. Young Bond succeeded because Charlie Higson is a fan whose heart was in it from the word go. Devil May Care failed because Sebastian Faulks is not.

#11 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 02:53 AM

Good review. If Walker maintains the standard as seen in the first graphic novel, any other adaptions will be even better. I look forward to both possible Blood Fever and Double or Die adaptions the most.

#12 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 04:55 AM

Nice review, [dark]. It does indeed sound like Kev Walker shares the same unending passion for this character as Charlie Higson does in the original novels.

SilverFin: The Graphic Novel is an incredibly faithful adaptation of Higsonā€™s source material. Indeed, it may well be the most vivid and best realised take on the illustrated James Bond ever.

:(

#13 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 05:10 AM

Good review. If Walker maintains the standard as seen in the first graphic novel, any other adaptions will be even better. I look forward to both possible Blood Fever and Double or Die adaptions the most.

I can't wait for Double or Die. It really had a great back drop. I think of all of them it'll be the most amazing to see in graphic novel form. Probably the hardest for Kev Walker to do too.