46 replies to this topic

#31 dodge

dodge

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5068 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 12:56 PM

So far, Craig's Bond is coming across as the least sexual Bond of them all. We can crunch the numbers all we like, but--up till now--aside from Vesper, he might as well be a eunuch for all the pleasure he gets out of sex. Or the pleasure we get to see him get out of sex. Whether he beds one or three women per film, it's high time for Bond to start swinging again with a big wolfish grin on his face.

#32 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 12:58 PM

So far, Craig's Bond is coming across as the least sexual Bond of them all. We can crunch the numbers all we like, but--up till now--aside from Vesper, he might as well be a eunuch for all the pleasure he gets out of sex. Or the pleasure we get to see him get out of sex. Whether he beds one or three women per film, it's high time for Bond to start swinging again with a big wolfish grin on his face.

James Bond - as played by Daniel Craig - does not need to bed everyone to be a sexy leading man.

#33 dodge

dodge

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5068 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 01:12 PM

James Bond - as played by Daniel Craig - does not need to bed everyone to be a sexy leading man.

There you go, twisting my words, Z. What I said was this: Whether he beds one or three women per film, I would like to see some of the old, freewheeeling pleasure he once took in sex. Will that meet with your approval?

#34 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 01:14 PM

but--up till now--aside from Vesper, he might as well be a eunuch for all the pleasure he gets out of sex.

Obviously, eunuchs have more fun than I thought.

Or the pleasure we get to see him get out of sex.

I admit: I never got pleasure from seeing any Bond actor getting pleasure out of sex. So I don´t care. Must be a eunuch then.

Whether he beds one or three women per film, it's high time for Bond to start swinging again with a big wolfish grin on his face.

Does that mean he has to bite a woman´s shoulder again?

On a serious note: In which scene had any Bond actor a big wolfish grin on his face after sex?

#35 dodge

dodge

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5068 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 01:23 PM

but--up till now--aside from Vesper, he might as well be a eunuch for all the pleasure he gets out of sex.

I admit: I never got pleasure from seeing any Bond actor getting pleasure out of sex. So I don´t care. Must be a eunuch then.

Whether he beds one or three women per film, it's high time for Bond to start swinging again with a big wolfish grin on his face.

On a serious note: In which scene had any Bond actor a big wolfish grin on his face after sex?

I never said he had a wolfish grin after sex, I said it was time to start swinging with a big wolfish grin. Except for Dalton, who was portrayed as slightly prudish, the Bonds often had wolish expressions when they were closing in on their prey: Laz in the Piz Gloria? Con's wolfish look when he catches Jill Masterton cheating and decides to bed her...etc. If wolfish look or expression works better for you, works for me.

#36 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 01:29 PM

I never said he had a wolfish grin after sex, I said it was time to start swinging with a big wolfish grin. Except for Dalton, who was portrayed as slightly prudish, the Bonds often had wolish expressions when they were closing in on their prey: Laz in the Piz Gloria? Con's wolfish look when he catches Jill Masterton cheating and decides to bed her...etc. If wolfish look or expression works better for you, works for me.

Before or after - who cares? The times have changed. To show Bond as a sexual predator right now would make him seem foolish, Austin Powers-like out of touch with reality.

Sure, Bond is the one who gets the women. And he enjoys it. He clearly enjoyed Vesper and - hey, who wouldn´t have? (muahahahaha)

Sorry.

He also enjoyed Fields. He was right not to enjoy Camille. And vice versa.

But I´m sure he will enjoy lots of other women in future adventures.

Wolfish or lionish. But safely and intelligently.

#37 dodge

dodge

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5068 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 04:24 PM

Before or after - who cares? The times have changed. To show Bond as a sexual predator right now would make him seem foolish, Austin Powers-like out of touch with reality.

Sure, Bond is the one who gets the women. And he enjoys it. He clearly enjoyed Vesper and - hey, who wouldn´t have? (muahahahaha)

Sorry.

He also enjoyed Fields. He was right not to enjoy Camille. And vice versa.

But I´m sure he will enjoy lots of other women in future adventures.

Wolfish or lionish. But safely and intelligently.

1) Who cares? I do, since I use language precisely. The point remains: Bond has been a sexual predator, who enjoyed sex, in all of the previous films. Eon and Craig have promised us that we will be returning to the Bond we all know and love...and they've said this repeatedly. My original comment was that it is high time to do so. Imo.
2) You make a point of stating that you get no pleasure out of seeing another man/Bond actor enjoying sex. Very well. But these are fantasy films and part of the fantasy is, no, not watching another man have sex but seeing a man live the lifestyle we ennvy, living it to the hilt. Nothing kinky or perverted about that. Why do you see Bond films? If you see them for the action, someone else might point that there's something a little bit odd about your paying to see another man fight. :(

#38 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 04:39 PM

If you see them for the action, someone else might point that there's something a little bit odd about your paying to see another man fight.

You got me. Old pervert I am...

Who cares? I do, since I use language precisely.

I do, too. Maybe re-read my post? :(

#39 Mojo

Mojo

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 31 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 09:16 PM

I find it funny that no one here got why Bond slept with Fields. It's because she wants to haul his behind back to London and he's just using her. He's not doing it for the pleasure, he wants to continue seeking revenge for Vesper. It also explains why he didn't sleep with Camille cause he didn't need anything from her. I thought the kiss was well acted out by the both of them. Bond's side especially, his kiss has a hint of desperation like he's seeking for someone to "set him free" like Camille said. But he can't ever be.

#40 danslittlefinger

danslittlefinger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3680 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 12:07 AM

Apparently we are in for a sex-fest in Bond 23...(I hope they just don't overdo it).

I think he might get it on with Moneypenny..just a feeling.

#41 honeyjes

honeyjes

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 183 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 04:46 AM

This thread is really funny, youl'd think we'd all learnt by now that Daniel's a wind up merchant, interpretting what he says literally will I think lead to disappointment for some, remember his no tux, naked and funnier comments.

#42 spynovelfan

spynovelfan

Commander CMG

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5855 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 01:06 PM

I thought he looked very wolfish when he took Solange for a spin, then ordered Champagne for two. He looked very wolfish when he asked Fields to show him where the stationery was, and caressing her back. I fail to see the issue, really. He's not leering at young girls every two seconds like Moore sometimes did, but he's not lost his appetite for women.

#43 double o ego

double o ego

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1261 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 01:25 PM

It would have left an odd taste in the mouth had BOND bedded CAMILLE - even at a closing "oh James" moment - especially in a film that suggests an off camera rape more than once.

Maybe, but suggesting a rape kinda left an odd taste too.

It was hinted at that Honey Rider was raped too or at least was targeted for rape, when she was talking to Bond about their respective pasts.

#44 double o ego

double o ego

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1261 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 01:41 PM

Hello, this is my first post. I was thinking this after seeing both of Daniel Craig's films, and I reckon EON / the writers aren't sure how to bring Bond into the 21st century sexually. Just as the series abandoned smoking as filthy, I think sleeping around is no longer considered glamorous like it was in the 1960s. Craig's Bond initially behaves like Connery, seducing the terrorist's wife to gain information before going on an emotional journey as he falls for and loses Vesper.

I personally found it so incongrous that Bond easily seduced Fields, but I supposed there were enough complaints about the 'rules' broken by Quantum of Solace that they needed one conquest (as MI6.co.uk calls it) because they chose to make Camille an ally and not a romantic partner. It's funny because Yusef works for Quantum in a manner reminiscent of the usual cinematic Bond: he romances (not seduces) women in high positions so he can (cruelly) manipulate them later. He is a sleazy mirror image.

I don't really have any conclusion other than to spark debate on how Bond has changed in the area of sex, how it relates to deepening his character, or whether EON knows how to handle it.

I don't think there 's any permanent problem there. It all had to do with characterisation, and Bond 23 is going to be a lot more 'traditional' in this sense (I believe and hope).

Still, I find the remark about Yusef interesting. As days go by since my second viewing, I can't help thinking he was underused. Look at it this way:

In all Bond history, there has been no other male character that could be considered handsome, or seductive. Other than Bond. A real lover. Who gets the girl in a bond film, other than Bond and Kerim Bey in FRWL and Leiter in LTK? Have you ever thought that maybe that's why they became real friends, appreciating each other? Who else? Bad guys (Sanchez, Gf, Scaramanga, Largo and so on) but it 's all been about creepiness.

This of course makes sense, considering Bond is not a real character, but a projection of male fantasies. Who 'd fantasise about someone else get the girl, unless he was really masochistic?

But it poses an interesting question: how would Bond react if he had competition in that matter? Those who 've read High time to Kill, have an idea, but Benson's characterisation proves to be at least poor.

Like I posted in another thread, I think it' d be a good idea if Yusef and his seducing techniques were a bigger part of the story in QoS. If Bond rivalled him in seducing a girl. Maybe an MI6 agent (also underused Fields, maybe?). Characterisation-wise it' d give plenty of opportunities. Humour could come out of it, as the two studs competed for their prey. And if (when) Bond wins in the end, it'd give him another quantum of solace too, from an ego point of view.

Bond doesn't care about fighting for a girl's affections. We all know how he treats women. He's not going to lose sleep if he doesn't have a girl fall for him. Characters like Ms Taro from Dr.No and Fiona Volpe from TB used Bond in the exact same way he used them. They weren't in love with him, hell they were merely fullfilling a duty to endanger Bond, just as he simultaneously used them to pass time and get closer to the main villain. Consentual sex with the enemy may have respective rewards and satisfaction but the end goal is still priority.

Now, for the sake of argument, fighting for the effections of a girl, Bond defeated Yusef. In, that Vesper who was duped into saving Yusef actually fell in love with Bond, a man who she initially despised and even went as far as killing her self because she loved Bond so much and was deeply sorry for betraying him. All this, when she was supposed to be Yusef's girl and did what she did to save his hide??? This clearly answers your question, Bond wins.

#45 dee-bee-five

dee-bee-five

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2227 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 02:37 PM

Since Craig can clearly get anything with a pulse into bed without even needing to try more than any other Bond (incl. Connery), maybe they feel they don't need to waste time showing him doing it... :(

#46 double o ego

double o ego

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1261 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 05:42 PM

Since Craig can clearly get anything with a pulse into bed without even needing to try more than any other Bond (incl. Connery), maybe they feel they don't need to waste time showing him doing it... :(

I disagree with this.

The girls Craig has beded weren't exactly doing him because they were instantly drawn to his sex appeal. Look at Solange, she did it because she was left humiliated by her husband and she wanted to get back at him. Look at what it took for Vesper to take off her panties for Bond. As for Fields, she was stationed in some run down, bum-end of the world country, where, she probably had enough of the cliched Alehandros and Diegos and would give it up to any articulate english speaking man or woman for that matter and it just happened to be Bond.

As for Bond's easiest conquest, it also happens to be the most painfully ridiculous and unbelievable and that is Bond bedding Jinx...first time round. That right there was fantasy at its peak.

#47 dodge

dodge

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5068 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 02:56 PM

If you see them for the action, someone else might point that there's something a little bit odd about your paying to see another man fight.

You got me. Old pervert I am...

Who cares? I do, since I use language precisely.

I do, too. Maybe re-read my post? :(

I did. That's why I responded. :)