99 replies to this topic

#31 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 12:19 AM

Although I know he's said that he won't return for Bond 23, I'd love to see Forster return for another film. I loved what he did with QUANTUM OF SOLACE, and I'd love to see him give us another Bond film.

Other than Forster, I'd like to see:

Gavin Hood (RENDITION & TSOTSI)

Tony Scott (SPY GAME & MAN ON FIRE)

Michael Mann (COLLATERAL & HEAT)

#32 Sir James Moloney

Sir James Moloney

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 332 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 12:20 AM

Well, Mendes is also a very different director than Forster. He's a bit bigger, with a heftier reputation, and while Forster had a very mainstream streak, Mendes has done nothing but "serious," "worthy" material and has never at all indicated anything that leads me to believe he's the kind of director to just kick back and do something as flimsy as a Bond flick. Just sayin'.

Well yes, unfortunately you´re right Harms. He is just one of those "I wish" names on my list.

#33 Mister E

Mister E

Resigned

• Discharged
  • PipPipPip
  • 2160 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 12:22 AM

Yes, I'd welcome him back. Stallone, obviously (who could also play the head of Quantum, a chap by the name of RISICO). And I guess I could tolerate another Spottiswoode Bond flick. Eli Roth might be good, although I don't expect anyone to agree with me. And I did like MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE II (wow, I'm really showing myself up on this thread, huh?), so I suppose I'd put up with John Woo if he were hired.

Oh god Loomis, you are killing me. Elizabeth honey ! I'm comin' ta join yah !

#34 Sir James Moloney

Sir James Moloney

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 332 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 12:24 AM

Although I know he's said that he won't return for Bond 23, I'd love to see Forster return for another film. I loved what he did with QUANTUM OF SOLACE, and I'd love to see him give us another Bond film.

I wouldn´t want Tony Scott near Bond, with his blue filters and ramped shots. But Ridley on the other hand is on my wish list.

I love Michael Mann but I don´t think he is appropriate for Bond.

#35 Mister E

Mister E

Resigned

• Discharged
  • PipPipPip
  • 2160 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 12:25 AM

Scott and Hood are "meh" choices IMO. Directors who would really bring nothing to the table. As I said about Mann, too bleak.

#36 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 12:26 AM

I wouldn´t want Tony Scott near Bond, with his blue filters and ramped shots.

Same here. I find him a poor choice for Bond (and a rather mediocre director in general).

#37 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 12:28 AM

I wouldn´t want Tony Scott near Bond, with his blue filters and ramped shots. But Ridley on the other hand is on my wish list.

I actually have the exact opposite opinion. I'd love to see Tony Scott take on a Bond film, but wouldn't want Ridley Scott to direct one. But, I think its doubtful that either one of the two will ever direct a Bond film.

:(

I could also go along with Loomis' suggestion of Sylvester Stallone as a director. I thought that ROCKY BALBOA and RAMBO were two of the better films I've seen the past couple of years.

#38 Sir James Moloney

Sir James Moloney

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 332 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 12:29 AM

I actually have the exact opposite opinion. I'd love to see Tony Scott take on a Bond film, but wouldn't want Ridley Scott to direct one. But, I think its doubtful that either one of the two will ever direct a Bond film.

True, the Ridley bros won´t do it. But I´m curious tdalton, why not Ridley?

#39 Mister E

Mister E

Resigned

• Discharged
  • PipPipPip
  • 2160 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 12:31 AM

I actually have the exact opposite opinion. I'd love to see Tony Scott take on a Bond film, but wouldn't want Ridley Scott to direct one.

#40 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 12:31 AM

I've just never really been all that much of a fan of his films. Looking at the films he's directed, BLACK HAWK DOWN, HANNIBAL, and GLADIATOR are the only films that I have really liked. The rest are kind of middle-of-the-road, at best, IMO.

#41 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 12:33 AM

I could also go along with Loomis' suggestion of Sylvester Stallone as a director. I thought that ROCKY BALBOA and RAMBO were two of the better films I've seen the past couple of years.

Well, obviously, I agree. For my money, they're both better films than QUANTUM OF SOLACE - well, maybe not RAMBO, but at any rate it's more or less in the same quality ballpark. For me, at least. :(

And the thing is Stallone could also write the script and co-star. He's so multi-talented it's frightening!

I wouldn't want Ridley Scott, either (although I'd certainly prefer him to the even worse Tony). I think he's a mediocre director who's occasionally gotten lucky (BLADE RUNNER, HANNIBAL and maybe one or two others).

#42 Mister E

Mister E

Resigned

• Discharged
  • PipPipPip
  • 2160 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 12:35 AM

I've just never really been all that much of a fan of his films. Looking at the films he's directed, BLACK HAWK DOWN, HANNIBAL, and GLADIATOR are the only films that I have really liked. The rest are kind of middle-of-the-road, at best, IMO.

Personally, I would only label BLACK HAWK DOWN as the greater of his work. HANNIBAL was very good but not near his best like BLADE RUNNER, MATCHSTICK MEN, or THELMA and LOUISE. GLADIATOR was good but overrated.

#43 Sir James Moloney

Sir James Moloney

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 332 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 12:36 AM

And the thing is Stallone could also write the script and co-star. He's so multi-talented it's frightening!

And of course the man has said he likes Craig as Bond very much and that he thinks Daniel is "the future of smart action films" :) :(

#44 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 12:37 AM

Well, obviously, I agree. For my money, they're both better films than QUANTUM OF SOLACE - well, maybe not RAMBO, but at any rate it's more or less in the same quality ballpark. For me, at least. :(

I wouldn't want Ridley Scott, either (although I'd certainly prefer him to the even worse Tony). I think he's a mediocre director who's occasionally gotten lucky (BLADE RUNNER, HANNIBAL and maybe one or two others).

Well, I don't think that either are as good as QUANTUM OF SOLACE, but both are very good films indeed (and Stallone should have garnered some nomination consideration for BALBOA, whether in the acting or other categories).

I also wouldn't mind the suggestion you've brought up several times about Stallone serving as the leader of Quantum.

#45 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 12:39 AM

Personally, I would only label BLACK HAWK DOWN as the greater of his work. HANNIBAL was very good but not near his best like BLADE RUNNER, MATCHSTICK MEN, or THELMA and LOUISE. GLADIATOR was good but overrated.

In my mind, KINGDOM OF HEAVEN: DIRECTOR'S CUT - not that woefully mediocre theatrical cut - is the best film he's done since BLADE RUNNER, and probably the best of the relatively recent epics in memory (yes, better than BRAVEHEART, GLADIATOR, LORD OF THE RINGS, etc.). It's a cryin' shame that so few people have actually seen it.

Anyway, I like Ridley Scott. He's not a great director, but he's certainly a good one, and has a nice sense of style.

#46 Sir James Moloney

Sir James Moloney

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 332 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 12:40 AM

:)

Personally, I would only label BLACK HAWK DOWN as the greater of his work. HANNIBAL was very good but not near his best like BLADE RUNNER, MATCHSTICK MEN, or THELMA and LUISE. GLADIATOR was good but overrated.

Come to think of it, we would probably have Bond23, Bond23 director´s cut, Bond23 ultimate edition, Bond23 with voice-over, ... :(

#47 Mister E

Mister E

Resigned

• Discharged
  • PipPipPip
  • 2160 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 12:40 AM

Well, I don't think that either are as good as QUANTUM OF SOLACE, but both are very good films indeed (and Stallone should have garnered some nomination consideration for BALBOA, whether in the acting or other categories).

BALBOA's strength was certaintly not in the direction, it was the script.

I also wouldn't mind the suggestion you've brought up several times about Stallone serving as the leader of Quantum.

I am sorry but no, sweet lord no. Stallone is by no means a versatile actor. He can only play the "tough guy".

#48 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 12:41 AM

I would. It'd be downright laughable.

#49 Sir James Moloney

Sir James Moloney

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 332 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 12:41 AM

In my mind, KINGDOM OF HEAVEN: DIRECTOR'S CUT - not that woefully mediocre theatrical cut - is the best film he's done since BLADE RUNNER, and probably the best of the relatively recent epics in memory (yes, better than BRAVEHEART, GLADIATOR, LORD OF THE RINGS, etc.). It's a cryin' shame that so few people have actually seen it.

Anyway, I like Ridley Scott. He's not a great director, but he's certainly a good one, and has a nice sense of style.

Kingdom of Heaven director´s cut is amazing. The only really bad thing about the film is the leading man, who doesn´t lead at all :( Big casting mistake IMO.

#50 Mister E

Mister E

Resigned

• Discharged
  • PipPipPip
  • 2160 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 12:43 AM

He does really. Even his poorest work has some visual flair. I would like to him not only do Bond but make a METROID movie with almost no dialogue.

#51 Sir James Moloney

Sir James Moloney

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 332 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 12:45 AM

He does really. Even his poorest work has some visual flair. I would like to him not only do Bond but make a METROID movie with almost no dialogue.

:) Metroid by Ridley Scott, I´m there :(

#52 Mister E

Mister E

Resigned

• Discharged
  • PipPipPip
  • 2160 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 12:48 AM

I think that would be awesome but it'll never happen. Like all video game movies, stupid new characters will be added, they'll bastardize the main characters, and make a nonsenical story that makes no sense.

#53 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 12:49 AM

I would rather that EON go out and find a great director rather than just settle for an OK one that brings a "nice sense of style" to his films.

The most important thing is, though, that EON find themselves a great writer. The script for QoS was what almost kept it back from being a great film, not the direction. If the scripts for the films get stronger, then maybe they can attract better directors to the films.

#54 Sir James Moloney

Sir James Moloney

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 332 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 12:55 AM

I think that would be awesome but it'll never happen. Like all video game movies, stupid new characters will be added, they'll bastardize the main characters, and make a nonsenical story that makes no sense.

That´s true, seems to be the trend in film business. But it´s a shame.

(And Russel Crowe would have to be in it. In Bond23 he would be Blofeld and Bond would end up dead in the pre-titles)

I would rather that EON go out and find a great director rather than just settle for an OK one that brings a "nice sense of style" to his films.

The most important thing is, though, that EON find themselves a great writer. The script for QoS was what almost kept it back from being a great film, not the direction. If the scripts for the films get stronger, then maybe they can attract better directors to the films.

True, someone should start a writers thread :)

They will really have a tough job next time ´round. But that´s a good thing in my book

#55 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 12:55 AM

Well, if they have good script in place, they don't really need anything more, do they? And Scott's also decent in handling actors, as well, so it's not like he's a total wash.

It's not like Marc Forster is a truly great director. He's a good one, and a great choice for Bond, but his large contribution to Bond was mainly one of aesthetics than anything else. And I imagine that will be the case for most Bond directors to follow.

Anyway, another suggestion (and admittedly something of a reach for Bond) would be Peter Weir.

#56 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 12:59 AM

Well, if they have good script in place, they don't really need anything more, do they? And Scott's also decent in handling actors, as well, so it's not like he's a total wash.

The problem is that I don't think that we've had a great script in a Bond movie for quite some time. The only thing that elevated CR's script over those of the 1980s and 1990s was the fact that it was based on Fleming's novel, so there was a framework for the writers to work with. The original screenplays, however, have left a lot to be desired. A good director, someone like Forster, along with actors like Craig and Dench can elevate a mediocre script, but a mediocre director most likely can't.

As for Forster, I would say that he's a great director. I think that he's proven it with films such as Quantum of Solace, Stranger than Fiction, and Finding Neverland.

Edited by tdalton, 19 November 2008 - 01:04 AM.

#57 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 01:00 AM

It's not like Marc Forster is a truly great director.

Which directors currently active (if any) would you define as great?

#58 Sir James Moloney

Sir James Moloney

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 332 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 01:01 AM

Anyway, another suggestion (and admittedly something of a reach for Bond) would be Peter Weir.

THAT would really make my day. And he´s used to big productions with shootings around the world, Mosquito Coast, Master and Commander,... And having the director of Dead Poets Society doing a Bond film would be just...strange...but awesome! :(

#59 Mister E

Mister E

Resigned

• Discharged
  • PipPipPip
  • 2160 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 01:18 AM

True, someone should start a writers thread :(

I did but it was ignored. :)

Weir ? Eon could do alot better. MASTER AND COMMANDER didn't really didn't wow me that much.

#60 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 01:51 AM

It's not like Marc Forster is a truly great director.

Which directors currently active (if any) would you define as great?

It's hard to say, and depends by what parameters you define "great." Any way you do it, I think, Forster has so far failed to match up... he's a quite good director, but he has yet to make a real triumph.

I'll have to think hard about this one and get back to you. I've seen plenty of great films from recent years, but I don't know that I'd consider the filmmakers behind each one of them great filmmakers. I feel like I need perspective to make the call. Paul Thomas Anderson, maybe, or perhaps David Fincher.

Weir ? Eon could do alot better. MASTER AND COMMANDER didn't really didn't wow me that much.

MASTER AND COMMANDER, IMO, is about as perfect as movies get. It was sadly passed over, but was the best film of its year, and is certainly one of the best of the decade. I would be ecstatic if Weir was brought on board.