10 replies to this topic

#1 RoboDan

RoboDan

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 28 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 02:50 PM

Hello everyone,

Just thought I would share. This past weekend in New York, was the Big Apple Convention at Penn Plaza. I was invited to it last minute for some work I edited in a submission to its film festival. Little did I know, that 007 himself, George Lazenby would be there! I totally flipped when I heard the news. As well, there were some other guests such as Gloria Hendry from Live And Let Die, and Lynn-Holly Johnson from For Your Eyes Only.

And to my surprise, Geoffrey Holder was there as well! It was a Bond weekend for sure, with Quantum of Solace on Friday, and then meeting all these great folks on Saturday. There was a one hour panel with all four of them discussing how they got involved in the series, and what their thoughts on it were. It was a great time to be had for sure.

George was looking pretty good for his age. He was sharing jokes, and had that classic Australian swagger about him. He kept on making sex jokes with the girls while I was there speaking with them. Hehe, what a guy. Here's some pictures from the event!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

If you have any questions about what went on in the panel, write 'em up here and I'll do my best to answer 'em for ya! Overall, this was a very exciting weekend for me. Nothing like meeting one of your idols in person. It was a surreal experience for sure.

#2 DrNoNo

DrNoNo

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 79 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 03:34 PM

Great pics!

#3 Painted Gold

Painted Gold

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 26 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 04:39 PM

I didn't recognize Gloria but Lynn still looks like Bebe! George rocks, and I am slightly jealous as I would love to meet him. I wonder if other Bond stars would be as friendly and down to earth as George? Anyone here met Timothy, Sean, Roger or Pierce?

#4 crheath

crheath

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 04:44 PM

Did he say anything about QOS? Just curious.

#5 Bondian

Bondian

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8019 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 04:44 PM

Excellent pics, RoboDan. :(

Must have been quite an experience. :)

#6 RoboDan

RoboDan

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 28 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 05:15 PM

Most definitely an experience, Bondian! I've never met any of the actors who portrayed Bond, so to meet George first was a real honor for me. I simply can't get enough of O.H.M.S.S.

crheath, during the panel a person in the audience asked him what he felt about Daniel Craig playing the new James Bond. He mentioned that he has not yet seen Quantum of Solace, but that he enjoy Daniel Craig in the role of Bond because he brings about that brash, quick thinking killer approach that he felt Bond always needed to have on screen. He went on to say that he's pleased with him, and that Ian Fleming would enjoy his performance.

When asked how he thought Craig compared to Brosnan, he said "No comment". I think some fans were egging him on to say something mean about Pierce, but he didn't head in that direction at all. Classy guy.

#7 solace

solace

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 284 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 09:42 PM

Great pics. Ohmss is actually my fav film so I would have pay'd good money to have been their.

#8 Cruiserweight

Cruiserweight

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6815 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 12:37 AM

Figures bond would come to NYC when i don't have anyway to NYC anymore.

:(

#9 Bondian

Bondian

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8019 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 01:05 AM

I didn't recognize Gloria but Lynn still looks like Bebe! George rocks, and I am slightly jealous as I would love to meet him. I wonder if other Bond stars would be as friendly and down to earth as George? Anyone here met Timothy, Sean, Roger or Pierce?

Gloris still look damn good as well. :(

I met Pierce in 1995. Most down-to-earth person and fun. Even joked with me when I said "you know, it was between you and I for Bond?" (I was arrogant then :)). He replied "I'd had heard". :)

He was purchasing one of his sons a guitar in 'Denmark Street'. I was a Theatrical Agent then. ;)

Most definitely an experience, Bondian! I've never met any of the actors who portrayed Bond, so to meet George first was a real honor for me. I simply can't get enough of O.H.M.S.S.

I would love to meet Sir Rog. Almost did in the early nineties, but I was on a shoot and had to get to the set. Left a note for him with some money in for 'UNICEF'.

#10 NecroVMX

NecroVMX

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 70 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 06:14 AM

That's pretty damn cool, I have to second the poster who asked if George had any thoughts on QoS also, did he mention anything? I kind of imagine he'd like it.

#11 TheSaint

TheSaint

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3067 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 08:34 AM

Met Pierce very briefly at the '95 Creation Bond con in NYC, I've met George at a few cons, and got to shake Sir Roger's hand and pose with him for a photo at the Pinewood event this past October.