3 replies to this topic

#1 Whalltt

Whalltt

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 230 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 01:14 PM

I was I little bit concerned, after some reviews I read. And, don’t get me wrong – I understand people have the right of not liking the movie. But I think most of the negative reviews come from pure ignorance.

That IS Ian Fleming’s James Bond 007. For me, he already is the Bond “we know and love”. The thing is that he has an agenda of his own. Craig is truly a great actor and he really nailed the character. He is cold when needed, he is ruthless when needed, he is vulnerable is the right moments, he is impersonation of class and elegance.

I think all the other actors were great in their roles. Top grade to Dench. Her magnificent performance shows crystal clear (liked never before in any of the previous films) why sometimes she such a pain to Bond. She is desperate for results from the field. She has people to answer to. But she still cares for Bond and that shows, even when she’s angry. It’s hard to put here in words these impressions I had from these scenes, but hopefully you guys felt the same.

Amalric is also very good as Greene. Contrary to some critics opinion, I think he has the right screen time. Some of them failed to understand that “the villain” in QoS is Quantum, the organization – Green is just one of the players.
Olga Kurylenko isn´t shallow as Camille as some Bond girls were in the past. I found myself caring for her, for her motivations.

The partnership between Bond and his allies Mathis and Leiter felt very much like Fleming wrote them. Great moments there too, particularly with Mathis.

As for the action, very well staged and performed. If I had to point out something I didn´t like in the movie it would be the opening car chase (too fast cut, too confusing) but still I will accept it as a stylized version of a car chase. Also the Siena sewer tunnels/roof top chase and art gallery fight, had the same problem. It was only in those early scenes, that I felt the viewer is a bit harshly rushed through the narrative, as so many people complained about, as if that happened in the whole movie. I did’t feel that. After those scenes I think the film is very well paced, great suspenseful moments, it truly felt like an espionage thriller. Very Fleming.

Visually stunning. Forster and his team of collaborators did a great job in giving substance and texture many aspects of the movie.

What can I say more? I loved it.

I only hope that Wilson and Broccoli keep going down the “down to earth” approach to the movies, now that this chapter is closed (at the end of it I felt this emotional journey Bond made, is over).

They have the right actor for the job and they’re in the right track.

8/10

Edited by Whalltt, 07 November 2008 - 03:28 PM.

#2 Bond Bug

Bond Bug

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 02:47 PM

I was I little bit concerned, after some reviews I read. And, don’t get me wrong – I understand people have the right of not liking the movie. But I think most of the negative reviews come from pure ignorance.

I in 4 reviews listed on Rotten Tomatoes are negative. You are calling a lot of people ignorant.

#3 Whalltt

Whalltt

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 230 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 03:19 PM

Sorry. Posted in the wrong section.

I in 4 reviews listed on Rotten Tomatoes are negative. You are calling a lot of people ignorant.

Maybe I am. Maybe they are.

Anyway it's not hard do believe that 1 in 4 film critics, never read a Fleming novel, doesn't have clue about the roots of the caracter, and their notion of James Bond movies is Moonraker and Die Another Day, and review the film like any other action movie.

If the word ignorance is offensive, I apologize. But I mantain my idea.

#4 broadshoulder

broadshoulder

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 235 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 04:09 PM

Its rotten tomatoes - so I think you have just proved his point.