Who Bond Sees At The Opera...

20 replies to this topic

#1 Star 2350

Star 2350

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 22 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 12:19 PM

What is the deal with the link to Guy Haines (sp), who I also believe is physically featured in the video game? Was he meant to be in the movie or is it just set-up for B23?

Anybody got the other couple of names that Bond unearths via his phone? One was def Japanese....

Edited by Star 2350, 04 November 2008 - 12:21 PM.

#2 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 12:24 PM

I thought I caught the info that one of the Quantum members was a former politician from somewhere or another (an evil Peter Mandelson type, basically, which I very much like the idea of), while another was an ex-Mossad agent.

#3 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 12:25 PM

Guy Haines was said to be a close advisor to the British Prime Minister, as far as I can remember.

#4 sorking

sorking

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 03:18 PM

I suspect some of the discussion about Haines, while some of it is still in the movie, has been trimmed, because the main reason he was being established - as the game shows - was so Bond could track him to his home, encountering him with Mr. White.

Shoddy fan theory holds that this added coda (which would totally kill the coda the film already has) showed Bond being killed. One cast member quote, however, suggests it was WHITE who bought it.

#5 Innukchuck

Innukchuck

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 32 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 07:52 PM

Quantum members named in the Opera Scene:

. Gregor Karakoff.
. Moshe Serloff.
. Guy Haines.
. Dominic Greene.
. Mr. White.

#6 001carus

001carus

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 246 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 12:09 PM

. Gregor Karakoff.
. Moshe Serloff.
. Guy Haines.
. Dominic Greene.
. Mr. White.

I didn't know Mr. White was named. I thought, as the only one who didn't get up, Bond didn't even know he was present at the opera and didn't see White. Correct me if I'm wrong. I have only seen the film once.

#7 Pierce - Daniel

Pierce - Daniel

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 12:12 PM

There's a big fat guy at the Greene planent part with a Q badge who congradulates Greene after his speech and introduces him to some high rollers.

#8 bondrules

bondrules

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2190 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 01:16 PM

There's a big fat guy at the Greene planent part with a Q badge who congradulates Greene after his speech and introduces him to some high rollers.

Luis Gotti...it's his real life name, and Greene calls him Luis in the movie...art imitating life.

#9 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 01:22 PM

I wonder if any of these folks re-appear in a future Craig film?

#10 Single-O-Seven

Single-O-Seven

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1323 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 05:37 PM

. Gregor Karakoff.
. Moshe Serloff.
. Guy Haines.
. Dominic Greene.
. Mr. White.

I didn't know Mr. White was named. I thought, as the only one who didn't get up, Bond didn't even know he was present at the opera and didn't see White. Correct me if I'm wrong. I have only seen the film once.

White wasn't named, nor did he speak up during the conferencing. And since we see Bond pretty much walk right past him it's clear White has gone unnoticed.

#11 joshkhenderson

joshkhenderson

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 37 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 11:22 PM

I wonder if any of these folks re-appear in a future Craig film?

I certainly think so. I don't see how they can introduce this group and then leave them behind.

#12 Mr_Wint

Mr_Wint

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2406 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 11:32 PM

A random thought : I got a feeling that there's no real leader in Quantum. Instead, all the decisions seems to be made by voting, like in this opera scene.

#13 Pierce - Daniel

Pierce - Daniel

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 08:13 PM

the opera scene is fantastic, this and all the Hait stuff was my favorate scenes from the movies as well as the ending with Bond and Camille's suicide and the Yusef scene.
Opera was by far the best, the idea of meeting as an opera and talking over ear pieces, Bond can't find the enemy and then catches them as they walk out, cut together with Tosca, parrelling the final moments of Vesper's life. It's pretty much sheer genius.
It had the paranoia of a film like FRWL, which surely is the most paranoid film ever made, I think I'm being followed or watched every time I see it.

I think Haines works well as a plot device, Quantum have people everywhere, even the PM's most trusted advisors work for the bad guys. It just sets the organization up and makes us see how big they really are. That's all, he's pretty much forgotten about after the Mathis scene.

#14 BlackFire

BlackFire

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1300 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 11:40 PM

I also wondered, were those guys high-rank Quantum members? There was a lady as well.

In the end of the game, Guy Haines is shown with Mr. White at his state.. Guy Haines is the one who 'narrates' the game, hacking to the MI6 central computer.

Bond is seen outside and plans to enter his state where M recalls him to catch him alive.

The conversation is Haines saying that they only got his name, nothing more and white asks to see the Organization herarchy diagram.

After all this, the credits roll on and then Bond will return.. which means yes, Guy Haines could be the head of Quantum or a high member.

Edited by BlackFire, 26 November 2008 - 11:41 PM.

#15 HildebrandRarity

HildebrandRarity

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4361 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 01:07 AM

. Gregor Karakoff.
. Moshe Serloff.
. Guy Haines.
. Dominic Greene.
. Mr. White.

White wasn't named, nor did he speak up during the conferencing. And since we see Bond pretty much walk right past him it's clear White has gone unnoticed.

Correct. Mr White is not named.

Gregor Karakoff...owns most of the mines in Siberia.

Moshe Serloff...former Mosad (Israeli Secret Police) agent now telecom giant.

Guy Haines...high-ranking advisor to the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom.

Those are the three that Tanner relays to M in the now famous face-cleansing scene right after Bond lets the man he didn't know was from Special Branch - bodyguarding Haines at the opera - fall from the roof on to Greene's Jag.

#16 Pierce - Daniel

Pierce - Daniel

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 06:06 PM

How do you even know that, usrely that's made up the DVD's not even out yet.

#17 Stuart

Stuart

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 263 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 06:38 PM

Paying attention to Tanner's dialogue; quite simple really.

#18 HildebrandRarity

HildebrandRarity

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4361 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 06:51 PM

How do you even know that, usrely that's made up the DVD's not even out yet.

How? Because I saw the :(ing movie and I don't have wax in my ears.

#19 double o ego

double o ego

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1261 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 09:27 PM

I have this theory, where even though Mr White was in Bregenz he was there covertly even unto the attending quantum members, maybe just to listen in and make sure everything ran smoothly. He knew Bond was there but didn'y know where exactly. With members getting up and leaving, thus exposing themselves, I think Mr White should and would have shown signs of concern, especially if you consider that Bond managed to track and infiltrate a private meeting and earlier, (the end of CR to be exact) to track down Mr White and capture him. White looked to relaxed and comfortable, which is why I came up with this theory.

#20 Pierce - Daniel

Pierce - Daniel

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 11:34 PM

sorry, I haven't seen the films in weeks. I just forgot that part, I was only reminded the other day about Greene talking about his mu's piano teacher. Stuff slips away.

#21 Cody

Cody

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1393 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 11:57 AM

I'd like to see more of that dark haired female Quantum member. She kind of resembles Rachel Weisz.