Judgement on Marc Forster's own terms?

8 replies to this topic

#1 Alfred Blacking

Alfred Blacking

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 30 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 07:09 PM

I've just started watching all the documentaries on QoS that I saved til after seeing it. I'm beginning to understand what Marc Forster was trying to do, although that doesn't mean I like it. But one quote from him in a Sky 1 documentary (QoS Special, Sat 1 Nov 3pm) is really curious. It states what his aim was in the film:

It's all about this emotional connection with Daniel. Because if you don't have that connection the movie wouldn't really work. And I always focused on that emotional connection between Daniel and the audience, who can root for him and care for him.

This is weird, because this is precisely what some (including me) feel is what doesn't work with the film. I'm interested to know, even for those who did rate the film, do you think that he succeeds by his own measure?

If pro-QoSers believe that it does work on this level, and anti-QoSers think that it doesn't, then Marc may have explained why the movie works for some but not others.

For those that think we're going over old ground, I apologise, but I believe there are new interesting ideas coming out from posts all the time.

#2 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 07:33 PM

That's an interesting approach, Alfred Blacking.
As a "pro-QoSer", I think Forster succeeded on this level. I felt connected with Bond's emotions, better than I did during CR, I must say (I never really understood why Bond was so much in love with Vesper, in fact; the only moment of true connection was the scene of her death).

#3 avl

avl

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 07:42 PM

Yes, I think he succeeds. There seems to be a fundamental misapprehension at play with some, who think QoS is a botched revenge movie, when in fact it is a film about Bond (painfully) subsuming his desire for revenge into his duty - a very Fleming scenario. Craig brought all of that across to me, and Forster amplified it with his consummate skill in the editing room, and his stylish eye.

#4 TheHildebrandRarity

TheHildebrandRarity

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 71 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 07:46 PM

I think he tried hard to make it work, especially with the connection with vesper and 007's emotion, but i'm not totally sold. Although I can see what he was trying to achieve, the plot was very loose and disjointed, but what makes it worse is the fast pace and quick editing (especially the begining).
For people to say he's a great story teller, great drama director and great at camera work and visuals was lying lol.

Overall he did his best, but he didn't really deliver for me, and i'm glad he's not back for Bond 23.

#5 avl

avl

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 07:50 PM

I think he tried hard to make it work, especially with the connection with vesper and 007's emotion, but i'm not totally sold. Although I can see what he was trying to achieve, the plot was very loose and disjointed, but what makes it worse is the fast pace and quick editing (especially the begining).
For people to say he's a great story teller, great drama director and great at camera work and visuals was lying lol.

Overall he did his best, but he didn't really deliver for me, and i'm glad he's not back for Bond 23.

Whereas I thought the plot was very tight, and the visuals were hugely stylish. Were we watching the same film, I only asked because I am becoming genuinely bemused by the negativity (not just you, THR), it just is so at odds with my own experience of QoS.

#6 Fiona Volpe lover

Fiona Volpe lover

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 347 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 10:37 PM

Well I really disliked QOS but I'm tempted to say Forster really did try with this movie-after all I thought Finding Neverland was very good and Stranger Than Fiction was fairly good. I just think he failed monumentally in almost every respect.

#7 Pierce - Daniel

Pierce - Daniel

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 10:49 PM

I think Forster archieved this, now I think the tide is against QOS, but like TLD and LTK the love will soon start flowing in.
QOS is maybe the most powerfull Bond movie, the direction is of a very high standard, examples od this come through in the Palio scenes as well as the Tosca parts. Bond has a emotional journey. He isn't some self indulgent character who tells the world how he's feeling, he's Bond, he keeps his mouth :( and his feelings to himself, hense why the little notions inforce Craig's Bond more then anything else. I love the scene with the Dead Fields on the the bed, Dan's acting is of such a high class. The way his eyes glisten on the plane scene, the tear running down his cheek as he cradles the dead Mathis, the way he can't look at Slate while he drains his blood but still the cold emotive way Froster hovvers the camera on him after Mitchell bites the bullet. Not to mention the Yusef scene, pretty amazing, I was quite scarred of Bond in that scene, any emotion hard to evoke in a 007 flick. But for me the moment Bond's mind runs to suicde is highly emotive and powerfull and I can symathise with Bond all the way through, there's no way he'll let anyone get the better hand even if it means loosing himself. Love it. I think the line: "Dead don't care about revenge" is so moving. Craig is the defintive Bond and Forster and him go hand in hand.

#8 dee-bee-five

dee-bee-five

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2227 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 11:30 PM

I've just started watching all the documentaries on QoS that I saved til after seeing it. I'm beginning to understand what Marc Forster was trying to do, although that doesn't mean I like it. But one quote from him in a Sky 1 documentary (QoS Special, Sat 1 Nov 3pm) is really curious. It states what his aim was in the film:

It's all about this emotional connection with Daniel. Because if you don't have that connection the movie wouldn't really work. And I always focused on that emotional connection between Daniel and the audience, who can root for him and care for him.

This is weird, because this is precisely what some (including me) feel is what doesn't work with the film. I'm interested to know, even for those who did rate the film, do you think that he succeeds by his own measure?.

Yes, for me absolutely. I regard QoS as possibly the most emotionally complex and satisfying of all the Bonds. And it's fascinating how it's polarising people because I simply can't understand how people don't get this and you probably can't understand how I can.

Well I really disliked QOS but I'm tempted to say Forster really did try with this movie-after all I thought Finding Neverland was very good and Stranger Than Fiction was fairly good. I just think he failed monumentally in almost every respect.

Whereas I think he succeeded spectacularly in what is the best-directed Bond film (for me).

#9 avl

avl

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 09:57 AM

I think Forster archieved this, now I think the tide is against QOS, but like TLD and LTK the love will soon start flowing in.
QOS is maybe the most powerfull Bond movie, the direction is of a very high standard, examples od this come through in the Palio scenes as well as the Tosca parts. Bond has a emotional journey. He isn't some self indulgent character who tells the world how he's feeling, he's Bond, he keeps his mouth :( and his feelings to himself, hense why the little notions inforce Craig's Bond more then anything else. I love the scene with the Dead Fields on the the bed, Dan's acting is of such a high class. The way his eyes glisten on the plane scene, the tear running down his cheek as he cradles the dead Mathis, the way he can't look at Slate while he drains his blood but still the cold emotive way Froster hovvers the camera on him after Mitchell bites the bullet. Not to mention the Yusef scene, pretty amazing, I was quite scarred of Bond in that scene, any emotion hard to evoke in a 007 flick. But for me the moment Bond's mind runs to suicde is highly emotive and powerfull and I can symathise with Bond all the way through, there's no way he'll let anyone get the better hand even if it means loosing himself. Love it. I think the line: "Dead don't care about revenge" is so moving. Craig is the defintive Bond and Forster and him go hand in hand.

Totally agree :)