2 replies to this topic

#1 SPOTTER

SPOTTER

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 126 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 09:02 PM

My expectations for QOS had been extremely high following the Bond reboot that was CR. Expecting so much for me is probably why I left the cinema feeling a little disappointed. The film did not seem Bond enough to me but it was like nothing I had ever seen before. The lack of the classic Bond theme during the action scenes did not help much. From the opening blink and you miss it confusing car chase I could already sense that the film was going to be faster paced than possibly any other Bond film. Using Craig for the titles sequence was a good move and although I am not a great fan of Jack White/Alicia Keys Another Way To Die I thought it worked really well for the film. The first half an hour is where the majority of the action takes place. There are three action sequences that could have worked a lot better than they did. This is due to bad editing. I found myself struggling to follow what was going on half the time, which was unfortunate because the stunts in the movie on a whole are excellent. Although the Bond plots have always played, a secondary role to the action etc from the very beginning of QOS I found the story a little confusing and by the time Bond had worked out what Greene was up to I had literally lost the plot in more ways than one.
Although an attempt was made on characterisation and depth, this could have been done a lot better than the final result. Bond hardly had any time to reflect on his actions before getting into another action scene. Exploring the character of Bond made CR what it was. I feel that QOS sacrificed a lot of character development for pace and action.

On a positive note, Craig is once again on top form and for me is the best Bond since Connery. I also liked the performances from Mathieu Almeric and Olga Kurulenko although the former was underused throughout the film. The humour in the film (when present) is written well and Craig pulls it off with ease.
Whilst the dessert finale was very enjoyable, harking back to the old Connery/Moore era the final scenes of the film seemed rushed leading to a disappointing ending. Whilst CR finished on a cliffhanger, QOS seemed to have the opposite effect on me.

Overall, a very good action film but only a good Bond movie, which is a shame. I wish I could give it more but it is a 3.5/5 or 7/10 for me.

Mind you, I am off to see it again next week so it might grow on me. I hope so.

#2 HildebrandRarity

HildebrandRarity

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4361 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 09:53 PM

Thanks for the review, SPOTTER. :(

Appearently, the movie is about Bond's search for some quantum of solace with respect to Vesper's betrayal and suicide...as opposed to him dispatching Dominic Greene of Quantum as is normal fare in the other 21 Bond movies.

So, do you think you'll find something new if you go back for a second viewing...or are you going back because you're a Bond fan and just want to support the franchise?

#3 SPOTTER

SPOTTER

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 126 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 04:08 PM

I'd like to make the most of the film being on the big screen as I generally emjoy going to the cinema. When I watch the film again I will know what to expect so I won't be looking for an equal to CR but just hopefully watching it for what it is. I hope it grows on me.