Stepped in blood

6 replies to this topic

#1 Mr Ashdown

Mr Ashdown

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 68 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 04:08 PM

Unlike Macbeth who is "stepped in blood so far that he can wade no more", by the end of "Quantum of Solace", the most brutal and brusque of all the Bond films, Daniel Craig's James Bond is resolutely prepared to wade further into rivers of blood, to go wherever he is needed and to do whatever is asked of him, no matter how distasteful, to serve Queen and country as a British secret agent. Those steely blue eyes are clear of doubt. He is James Bond.

The mixed reviews for "Quantum of Solace" are understandable, because violence is divisive. And what we get in QOS is real, genuine violence. Quick, shocking, confusing, off-putting. It happens so fast, often without any warning, and comes frm unexpected directions. You can't make out what's happened until someone is lying on the ground in a pool of blood, or there's only one car left moving, or a foot chase is over because you can't chase a corpse. In previous Bond films, the violence is staged to be great fun. The bit everyone picked up on in "GoldenEye" was Pierce Brosnan calmly adjusting his tie as he rips up St Peter's Square in a Russian tank. That Bond can be a superscillious snob, with a smirk and not a hair out of place as he smashes through walls and demolishes beautiful architecture was seen by many to be the perfect idiom for the character. In QOS, Bond dumps the body of one of his only allies in a skip because "he wouldn't care". Cartoon fun has been replaced by dead men in rubbish bins.

A fight will only shock you if you don't get into fights. If you're violent, then violence is a place you will be comfortable in. To everybody else, it's a place we want to leave. We are shaken by it. After a fight, we ae left with questions. What happened? Was it really necessary? Can it be avoided next time?

Bond has taken the fight to us. He's comfortable there. He knows the speed of it, and the cost of it.

That's why the gunbarrel is at the end. That's why the last image of QOS is of James Bond stepped in blood.

Edited by Mr Ashdown, 01 November 2008 - 04:17 PM.

#2 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 04:10 PM

Interesting analogy.

It's "steeped in blood", though.

#3 Mr Ashdown

Mr Ashdown

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 68 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 04:23 PM

Interesting analogy.

My Collins Complete Shakespeare has "stepped in blood", and it's what I recall frm studying the play.

#4 Alfred Blacking

Alfred Blacking

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 30 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 04:29 PM

Bloody interesting post (as it were). You know, sometimes I think we may even look for too much in these films - but that's half the fun and I like the way you did it here.

Does anyone else have any thoughts on why the gun-barrel was at the end? Was it because he was back on board? But then, he was on board at the beginning, wasn't he?

#5 Lazenby880

Lazenby880

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 04:37 PM

Interesting analogy.

My Collins Complete Shakespeare has "stepped in blood", and it's what I recall frm studying the play.

"I am in blood
Stepped in so far that, should I wade no more,
Returning were as tedious as go o'er". (3.4.136)

#6 HildebrandRarity

HildebrandRarity

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4361 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 06:18 PM

Interesting analogy.

...but, more importantly, is it a 1 out of 10...or an 8.5? :( :)

#7 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 06:32 PM

Interesting analogy.

...but, more importantly, is it a 1 out of 10...or an 8.5? :( :)

I give Macbeth a 9, personally :)