202 replies to this topic

#121 trevanian

trevanian

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 355 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 10:55 PM

I have a feeling QOS will be disappointing mostly because of Forster's insistence in making it as short as possible, which will in essence mean missing plot points in favour of action sequences. I find interesting that he refers to the film as an action film, whereas Campbell didn't. It tells me something among the lines of this guy took the job because Sony asked him but wasn't that interested in it, has a very narrow perception of what Bonds are and can be (Bonds aren't merely "action" films) and I for one I'm glad he won't be coming back for 23. As for Sony, they strike me as interfering more with films than MGM.

When I interviewed the guy a couple months ago, he only referred to it as an art film, saying he told the producers he only knew how to make his kind of film. If he is calling it action now, maybe it is in response to questions framing it as such?

He took the job because his longtime associates (cinematographer especially) were over the roof with excitement over the idea, and so it (and I guess the producers) grew on him.

The addition of a second editor on this film, someone who isn't from the director's group, is the only real flag I can see. Certainly the early response is mixed.

#122 sorking

sorking

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 09:20 AM

(As an aside, though, didn't Jesper Christensen say somewhere that WHITE would be the one to die at the end of the film, until they cut the scene?)

I don't think he did. Gianinni made a comment like that, I think Mathieu might have made similar comments (not sure though, could be getting confused with that infamous AOL article), but I don't think Jesper did. He did say somewhere that the interrogation would go horribly wrong, and many people assumed that meant he would die there, until we found out about the opera sequence.

Those who have seen the film already have been pretty quiet about it (especially when compared to the fates of Greene, Camille, and Yusef), but it sounds like he doesn't die.

Oh, we know he doesn't die in the finished film. But I think you're right about the quote - it wasn't the man himself, but another involved. Still, I now seriously suspect that the last scene was Bond killing White. A quiet, one-on-one scene that might have mirrored the start and the end of CR.

Maybe they both went down, who knows? (Well, we will in about six months when the DVD shows up.)

#123 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 09:25 AM

Eh Eh Eh told you guys ! And for those who don't get hot under the collar, here's a pic from the deleted ending.

I knew something was amiss ! Sony, or Eon went crazy and butchered the movie. Feel free at CBN to use my scan and make it news.

My impression is, this was the same scene as the beginning of CR, only Mr White shoots Bond. It would suddenly make sense of the whole movie.Because as I told you guys, QOS seems like a reverse deconstruction of CR. Editing is a delicate balance. If you take out one vital piece of the puzzle, the movie suddenly falls flat on it's face. Sadly, it's the case here. I can't wait for the real ending, because the current ending is a total let down. Shame on whomever deleted it from the final cut. Remember the guys on IMDB who said Bond died at the end ? Remember me saying Bond should die, FRWL novel style, in order for this movie to make 500 millions US ? That was it, and they DELETED it. I'm really pissed. I AM REALLY PISSED.

Posted Image

*prays to the gods of EON for a extended cut of Quantum of Solace to see the film as it was, quite possibly, intended.

I know they've never had one for a Bond movie before but, if Stamper is being truthful, and based on this very interesting news he is, I would like to watch this film in its full glory at some point.

:(

I really wish they hadn't of cut this out, Mr.White just disappearing in the film is probably why some reviewers have called plot holes. That pic just wets my appetite for an amazing ending that would have had me begging for 23.

I wanted an extended cut of CR but I have the feeling Eon isn't into it. I have a feeling QOS will be disappointing mostly because of Forster's insistence in making it as short as possible, which will in essence mean missing plot points in favour of action sequences. I find interesting that he refers to the film as an action film, whereas Campbell didn't. It tells me something among the lines of this guy took the job because Sony asked him but wasn't that interested in it, has a very narrow perception of what Bonds are and can be (Bonds aren't merely "action" films) and I for one I'm glad he won't be coming back for 23. As for Sony, they strike me as interfering more with films than MGM. When they bought MGM, they postponed the release of Steve Martin's Pink Panther to retool the film for a family audience, reshoots included, as it was apparently too racy (which is the way Panthers should be shouldn't they?). Even after CR's outstanding performance, they couldn't leave the thing alone. They had to prove that Hollywood knows film and we're going to teach this pitiful British company Eon how things are done: follow up with a standard American action film.
One thing's for sure, regardless of whether I like the film or not, this time around I'm not buying the first dvd release. I'm waiting until the B23 tie-in.

Spoken like a true sheep who hasn't seen the film yet. Utter rubbish.

#124 Jackanaples

Jackanaples

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 992 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 10:00 AM

"As for Sony, they strike me as interfering more with films than MGM."

They sure are! The head of Sony backed Barbara Broccoli's decision to cast Daniel Craig as Bond against a sea of rabid morons screaming for his immediate dismissal... BEFORE A FRAME OF FILM HAD EVEN BEEN SHOT.

It boggles my mind how some people go through life having a knee jerk response to everything, making their minds up before they've even gotten all the details or tried it for themselves.

When reality shows them to be WRONG what do they do? Do they decide to be more thoughtful in future? HELL NO. They pick themselves up and sprint headlong towards the next windmill as if nothing happened.

I'm glad they didn't use the Bond getting shot ending. Especially since we might have to wait even longer for the next movie.

Edited by Jackanaples, 23 October 2008 - 10:03 AM.

#125 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 10:02 AM

They sure are! The head of Sony backed Barbara Broccoli's decision to cast Daniel Craig as Bond against a sea of rabid morons screaming for his immediate dismissal... BEFORE A FRAME OF FILM HAD EVEN BEEN SHOT.

It boggles my mind how some people go through life having a knee jerk response to everything, making their minds up before they've even gotten all the details or tried it for themselves.

When reality shows them to be WRONG what do they do? Do they decide to be more thoughtful in future? HELL NO. They pici themselves up and sprint headlong towards the next windmill as if nothing happened.

And these people are voting on November 4th. Now that's the tragedy.

#126 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 12:17 PM

When Fleming wrote From Russia, with Love - people had no idea if Bond was dead on not. It was well and truly left up in the air. With the books not selling in the quantities they used to, and running out of ideas, Fleming threw everything into the book. If From Russia, with Love was not successful, he probably would have been left dead.

But with Bond now well established in the film industry, we would know he would live, but being shot would still be a great ending. It would make you think twice and would still have the ability to knock the stuffing out of the audience for shock factor alone.

#127 bondrules

bondrules

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2190 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 03:29 PM

Stamper was right....the scene was shown on the first screening

An you tell us what this scene might be?

Marc: No, you don’t want to spoil that because…it’s better just to keep it as it is. I mean it’s like I was thinking we shot the scene and it worked. I think it’s a great scene and everybody loved it and that’s the 1st screening I had was that scene and then we just felt no, let’s just end it right there on that necklace. He got his quantum of solace. That’s where it is, that’s where the movie ends and let’s not even go there.

http://www.collider....aid/9605/tcid/1

In the link above there is an additional audio link to the Forster interview...quite a long one I might add (almost 20 mns)

Edited by bondrules, 24 October 2008 - 03:43 PM.

#128 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 04:29 PM

They had it at the press screening?! :)

Lee Pfeiffer's review said that the gunbarrel at the end made sense in context. With this scene gone, will the context be removed? :(

#129 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 04:32 PM

They had it at the press screening?! :)

Lee Pfeiffer's review said that the gunbarrel at the end made sense in context. With this scene gone, will the context be removed? :(

I rather think they had it on the first test screening, without journalists.

#130 trevanian

trevanian

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 355 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 06:05 PM

When reality shows them to be WRONG what do they do? Do they decide to be more thoughtful in future? HELL NO. They pici themselves up and sprint headlong towards the next windmill as if nothing happened.

And these people are voting on November 4th. Now that's the tragedy.

Who the hell is sprinting toward the NEXT windmill, Dr Glib? Must not be me, since I still think the Craig casting is a disaster.

#131 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 01:20 PM

Because White has witnessed Bond's skills firsthand, it'd be cool if White asked Bond to join Quantum, like, forced him to work for them. Bond had no choice. Now that would be interesting.

#132 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 01:21 PM

Yes, very interesting. Then maybe, they would be able to work in the Brainwashing plot from The Man With The Golden Gun.

#133 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 12:36 PM

For those who have now seen the movie, would you have liked to see this ending tagged on? I'm still undecided.

By the way, as a little bit of trivia, I believe some of the final confrontation was filmed at a manor house Harpsden Court in Oxfordshire. Perhaps some sort of Quantum safehouse. I look forward to this DVD extra.

#134 dee-bee-five

dee-bee-five

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2227 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 12:40 PM

For those who have now seen the movie, would you have liked to see this ending tagged on?

And ruin what, for me, is the finest end to a Bond film since OHMSS? Absolutely, 100%, definitely no...

#135 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 12:42 PM

I've just realised the stupidity of my own question seeing as we don't actually know what the deleted scene entailed... Doh.

#136 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 12:43 PM

For those who have now seen the movie, would you have liked to see this ending tagged on?

No. It would have been a terribly unfortunate way to conclude the film. This proposed/actual alternative, whatever its status, would have been extremely trite.

The ending as it stands is spot on and judged to the second.

#137 dee-bee-five

dee-bee-five

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2227 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 12:45 PM

I've just realised the stupidity of my own question seeing as we don't actually know what the deleted scene entailed... Doh.

I was assuming you were referring to the speculation about Mr. White popping up and putting a bullet in Bond (apologies to Bernard Lee). But the ending is perfect as it is - well-written, beautifully-directed and with a pitch-perfect performance from Craig - so I wouldn't want anything to spoil it.

#138 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 12:47 PM

No. It would have been a terribly unfortunate way to conclude the film. This proposed/actual alternative, whatever its status, would have been extremely trite.

It's very ironic that you say that. I'm not pointing finger at anyone in particular, but when this news first broke, there were a few people both here and over at the other forums who said the change in ending was a sign of the film's poor editing and misdirection by Forster (despite their not actually seeing said ending or knowing the context of it). I asked the self-same question over a tthe other forums, and as it turns out, I got a similar response.

So what were those nay-sayers thinking when they said that, exactly?

#139 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 12:49 PM

Yes, that's what I was referring to, dee-bee-five. But it's still speculation, I guess.

Anyway, I agree with the both of you. I thought the final five minutes (from the drop-off of Greene) were perfect, and certainly amongst the best Bond finales. If anything though, despite the decent symbolism behind it, I thought the gunbarrel was slightly jarring and spoilt the ambiance of the ending somewhat.

#140 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 12:50 PM

It's very ironic that you say that. I'm not pointing finger at anyone in particular, but when this news first broke, there were a few people both here and over at the other forums who said the change in ending was a sign of the film's poor editing and misdirection by Forster (despite their not actually seeing said ending or knowing the context of it). I asked the self-same question over a tthe other forums, and as it turns out, I got a similar response.

So what were those nay-sayers thinking when they said that, exactly?

Well, they're under no obligation to agree.

#141 terminus

terminus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 12:53 PM

Maybe it would have worked as an end-of-credits scene. So we go through all of the credits and for those of us who've been loyal enough to sit there - we go into this scene, then go to black and have JAMES BOND WILL RETURN or whatever variation.

#142 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 01:05 PM

Well, they're under no obligation to agree.

Oh, of course not. I just find it very funny that they show it as definitive proof that the film will suffer greatly from the direction, only to have a lot of people come out and say the ending is great.

Yeah, I'm a bit odd like that.

#143 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 01:06 PM

Maybe it would have worked as an end-of-credits scene. So we go through all of the credits and for those of us who've been loyal enough to sit there - we go into this scene, then go to black and have JAMES BOND WILL RETURN or whatever variation.

Nope, terrible. Next to nobody would see it, and it is better placed just before the end credits.

#144 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 01:19 PM

Nope, terrible. Next to nobody would see it, and it is better placed just before the end credits.

And how many people would know it was there? I mean, when you saw IRON MAN or any of the PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN films, did any of you know about the codas? And if you did, did you stay around to watch them?

#145 quantumofsolace

quantumofsolace

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1563 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 02:50 PM

When i first read about the cut ending I was annoyed it hadn't been included .Now I've seen the movie I know they made the right decision. The ending we got was brilliant, as was the rest of the film.

#146 Agent Spriggan Ominae

Agent Spriggan Ominae

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1068 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 08:05 PM

By the way, as a little bit of trivia, I believe some of the final confrontation was filmed at a manor house Harpsden Court in Oxfordshire. Perhaps some sort of Quantum safehouse. I look forward to this DVD extra.

I wonder if the video game adaption sheds any light on what this final scene may have been. Here's the clip.

http://au.youtube.co...h?v=McVTREJg-2Y

#147 sorking

sorking

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 08:36 PM

I wonder if the video game adaption sheds any light on what this final scene may have been. Here's the clip.

http://au.youtube.co...h?v=McVTREJg-2Y

Worth noting that the game includes dialogue at the end of its credits to the effect that Bond now knows where to locate the lost cash from CR: “Seems we’re looking in the wrong man’s estate…”

Having now seen the movie, we already have a coda, a cap to the story, and it's very elegant. Bond heading off and finding White is one ending too many. White being killed? Too simplistic, and ill-fitting with what Bond's just done. Bond being 'killed'? Crass, emotionally wrong and useless as a cliff-hanger. Recovering the CR cash? Seriously, who cares about that now?!

The GB, for me, worked 'as well' as it would have done at the start. Up the front end it does it's grand old job of saying 'Bond is back, buckle up!' At the end it steps up the final point being made to something triumphant, allowing you to leave walking tall - just as The Line did in CR.

For me, the makers got it right.

#148 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 09:02 PM

Very interesting. So it seems the original plan for the ending was for Bond to head to Guy Haines' estate in the English countryside, where he also happens across Mr White.

#149 Agent Spriggan Ominae

Agent Spriggan Ominae

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1068 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 02:12 AM

Very interesting. So it seems the original plan for the ending was for Bond to head to Guy Haines' estate in the English countryside, where he also happens across Mr White.

I wonder how that would have played out? There are 2 pics floating around of this deleted scene. Perhaps Bond shows up and thinks he has the drop on Haines only to have White sitting in the corner not unlike Craig was lying in wait for Dryden at the beginning of CR. And it would have ended with White saying something like, Mr Bond, We need to talk... and then cut to black. I could have seen that happening but that yet again force them in to picking up right where they left off yet again. In the end I feel most cuts are usually for the best but I'm happy we'll be able to at least find what this was with DVD release, fingers crossed!

I really do like how White is shaping up to be a really interesting and truly classic villain. This is one of the few times I'm glad they didn't kill off a villain. I usually like to see them meet unhappy ends. lol. Thinking back to that shot of White from the deleted scene , does anyones else get a kinda dark mirror vibe with White? I don't think they should make White be the head of Quantum but it would be interesting if he was their own top operative or 007 if you will. An "anti-Bond" of sorts. So many possibilities I hope White and Quantum are back in Bond 23. I want a quantum trilogy.

#150 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 03:26 PM

From what I've read, this deleted ending is best off that way. It would feel tacked on, with Forster putting it perfectly, Bond has his solace and the film ends.