Photo

Has anyone else noticed this?

8 replies to this topic

#1 005

Cadet

• Crew
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 December 2001 - 11:19 PM

David Arnold seems to have a very good track record for ripping off his older scores. He did it with Tomorrow Never Dies and Independence Day, and I just noticed he did it with The World is Not Enough and the Beast From 20,000-I mean- Godzilla remake. Of course, his score in the remake was too drowned out for anyone to notice unless they get the score on MP3 or CD. It's not the worst thing a composer can do, but it certainly shows a lack of creativity and is distracting.

#2 Parasyte

Parasyte

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 197 posts

Posted 21 January 2002 - 11:19 PM

Arnold got an Oscar for Godzilla didnt he? Okay, so its hardly the Bond effect, but when re-hasing a winning forumula to the Bond one, is it really that bad.

the worst re-hass is the use of TND track (be damned if I can remember which) on the TWINE trailer (most obvious when pulling himself along the outside of the sub). The trailers on the TWINE CD. For those who dont have it... ye be buggered.

Plus, if barry didnt re-use (albeit someonelses) scores, then the JBTheme woulndt be, it'd be the theme to Dr. No, just as Tina Turners song is for GoldenEye.

#3 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 04 January 2002 - 09:28 PM

I believe the most obvious element of self referential work is that of James Horner who uses very strong percussion thumping at various points of his work.

For example, Commando, The Pelican Brief et al all use it to very signaturary effect.

(I don't really think that word exists, but it seems to sort of fit)

#4 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 22 January 2002 - 02:13 AM

Parasyte (21 Jan, 2002 11:20 p.m.):
Arnold got an Oscar for Godzilla didnt he?

Actually, he hasn't won an oscar yet.

That year, Life Is Beautiful won the best original dramatic score, and Shakespear In Love won the best original musical/comedy score.

The Truman Show won the Golden Globe.

#5 Parasyte

Parasyte

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 197 posts

Posted 22 January 2002 - 04:57 PM

He won a grammy. My bad.

#6 melv

melv

Cadet

• Crew
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 January 2002 - 02:45 PM

It's quite common for composers to 'reference' their earlier work or the work of others, either to maintain some sort of continuity (what would Bond be like without the familiar Bond themes?) or, I suppose, to provide interest for their fans. Professional reviewers often consider it good form, as long as it's not overdone. You'll find some easily recognisible excerpts from 'The Sinking of the Devonshire' (Tomorrow Never Dies) in 'Ice Bandits' (The World is Not Enough). More interestingly, however, Arnold subtly includes the four-notes performed by the cellos from 'Goldeneye' (i.e. sung by Tina Turner) in the opening of in 'White Night' (Tomorrow Never Dies), after the gun-barrel music.

My first post on this board!

#7 melv

melv

Cadet

• Crew
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 January 2002 - 02:22 PM

I agree that any excerpts from God . . . whatever would seem a bit out of place in Bond. I saw the film once (on TV only, not the cinema) and it wasn't particularly brilliant. Despite being a bit of an Arnold fan, I wasn't really moved to seek out the soundtrack. Perhaps you can let me know if it is any good?

#8 005

Cadet

• Crew
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 January 2002 - 04:45 AM

It's extremely difficult to find, although I've heard good things about it. Went on Audiogalaxy and downloaded a few tracks. Wasn't that impressed. I recall Arnold saying that he had difficult scoring the movie because of weak characterization of the monster. First he's bad then he's innocent. Still not that good, though.

#9 005

Cadet

• Crew
  • 11 posts

Posted 04 January 2002 - 05:49 PM

I can understand if it's within the same series like the Bond movies, but to use a touch of music from Godz---I can't call it that!--- in The World is Not Enough just doesn't make much sense.