14 replies to this topic

#1 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 06:00 PM

I just posted my all-new interview with Charlie Higson. I've done three (and a half) interviews with Charlie, and I think this one is my favorite. It's much less formal and I found some of the off Bond discussion about the Royal Family, skiing in the 1930s, etc., fascinating. It's also interesting that, in Charlie's mind, much more happened between Bond and Roan (the maid) than what's on the page. Did James Bond lose his virginity in a Paris brothel, or between the chapters of By Royal Command? Hmmm...

On thing...MAJOR SPOILERS.

Click to read
Posted Image

(EDIT: To stay spoiler free, DO NOT read past my question about why he made Roan Irish.)

#2 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 07:02 PM

Damn you for posting a spoiler-filled interview while I'm still waiting on my copy of By Royal Command! :(

#3 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 07:27 PM

I know, I know. I was planning on waiting a few weeks, but I just finished formatting and thought it was so purdy, I just went for it. I did think specifically about you, [dark]. Sorry. But now you'll have something to read when you finish the book.

Where the freak is your book!? It takes a week for delivery to the U.S., don't know why it would take any longer for Canada. Didn't you also have a long wait for DMC? Bites.

#4 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 07:31 PM

I know, I know. I was planning on waiting a few weeks, but I just finished formatting and thought it was so purdy, I just went for it. I did think specifically about you, [dark]. Sorry. But now you'll have something to read when you finish the book.

Haha, no need to apologise! I did sneak a peek at your final question in the hopes that it was the question I thought it would be (it was), so that'll tide me over until I finish By Royal Command.

Where the freak is your book!? It takes a week for delivery to the U.S., don't know why it would take any longer for Canada. Didn't you also have a long wait for DMC? Bites.

Tell me about it! Amazon's estimated arrival date was a week after it shipped, which I thought was a bit soon, but I thought it would have been here by now.

I'm now expecting By Royal Command and my SilverFin and Blood Fever Limited Editions to all arrive in one spectacular Young Bond hit!

#5 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 08:23 PM

Splendid interview, z.

I just hope the IFP understand why the Young Bond series was so successful.

#6 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 13 September 2008 - 01:26 AM

Great interview, zen!

#7 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 01:41 AM

A nice breezy read. Thanks, John.

#8 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 05:20 PM

Tell me about it! Amazon's estimated arrival date was a week after it shipped, which I thought was a bit soon, but I thought it would have been here by now.

I'm now expecting By Royal Command and my SilverFin and Blood Fever Limited Editions to all arrive in one spectacular Young Bond hit!

Finally, By Royal Command arrived! Beautiful book it is, too!

I'll polish off my current book (the superb Penguin Classics edition of Alice's Adventures In Wonderland and Through The Looking Glass And What Alice Found There) and then get stuck in!

#9 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 05:27 PM

Finally! Great news. It is a beautiful beast. Did you see Tanner's review of the book's look at Double O Section? Good stuff.

At some point we'll all have to compare and see if anyone landed a copy with the rarer codeword.

#10 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 05:28 PM

Finally! Great news. It is a beautiful beast. Did you see Tanner's review of the book's look at Double O Section? Good stuff.

I did - I keep meaning to comment on it. Superb review - it's a gorgeous book. Can't wait to see it beside my Hurricane Gold hardcover (which, sadly, is all the way back in Australia!).

#11 spynovelfan

spynovelfan

Commander CMG

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5855 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 08:09 PM

Great interview. I am well behind on reading Young Bond - I've only read the first - but it's just so refreshing to be able to read an interview with someone as switched on, passionate and articulate about Bond and Fleming, conducted by someone equally so.

And yes, there are plenty of new directions Bond can be taken in, I'm sure.

#12 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 08:25 PM

Thank you, spynovelfan. I was thinking specifically about fans like yourself when we discussed what it was like at Goldeneye and the fact that the Fleming family knows the Royal Family, both past and current. I knew you would enjoy these insights as much as I did. It's interesting, this interview was more about Fleming than any of the past ones. I think it's because Fleming's influence is so much a part of BRC.

#13 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 03:03 AM

Finally got the chance to really jump into this interview tonight. Was reading bits and pieces here and there before.

Great interview, John. Fun, relaxed, fun, and fun.

Who would have thought when a book called SilverFin was announced that we'd all be here about four years later as devoted fans of this series? :(

#14 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 04:01 AM

Thanks Qwertz. It was very fun. Charlie is always so generous with his answers. There were also times we went "off the record," so there was more to our conversation than what you read.

I also loved doing this via iChat. It's an excellent way to conduct an international interview. So much better than over the phone. You're face to face, and it's free!

#15 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 07:11 AM

I only can repeat what has been said before: a great interview! :(
Two seasoned, die-hard fans thoroughly enjoying talking Bond and Fleming.

Yesterday my copy of 'By Royal Command' finally arrived. Unfortunately, I'll have to finish two other books first before I can comfortably settle down with it. But of course I couldn't resist the temptation to search (and find) my own little Everest in Bond-dom written down in BRC. :)