1111 replies to this topic

#1081 Grard Bond

Grard Bond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 02 January 2016 - 02:57 PM

Last night Moonraker. I always watch my favorite Bondmovie to end my birthday.

This evening I gonna watch Goldfinger on Belgium Television.

Edited by Grard Bond, 02 January 2016 - 02:57 PM.

#1082 PrinceKamalKhan

PrinceKamalKhan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11139 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 05:35 AM

Last night Moonraker. I always watch my favorite Bondmovie to end my birthday.

Always happy to read of love and appreciation for MR. :) 

Anyway, I watched TB in honor of the 50th anniversary of its initial release. It was the first time I saw it in blu-ray and it looked magnifico.

#1083 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 24 January 2016 - 10:57 PM

Watched bits of Thunderball, YOLT, TSWLM, Goldeneye and TMWTGG with my 2 oldest kids over the weekend.

They LOVED the corkscrew car jump in Golden Gun!

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

#1084 mattjoes

mattjoes

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 243 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 02:18 AM

Tomorrow Never Dies.

Terrific fun. I didn't find Brosnan's performance too arrogant, as before... he's just Bond at his confident best. Yeoh is solid, and has good chemistry with Brosnan, albeit professional rather than sexual. Pryce is great; not really threatening, but such a lively character (kung fu!). Stamper is memorable in his own way: the dialogue about torturing Bond, how he gets stabbed three times and just keeps on going... The action is exciting (love the cellphone), and the score is flamboyant, all wah-wah trumpets and electric guitars.

There's room for some improvement, of course. I don't know if it's the writing or the acting that I don't care for in the bedroom scene, but at least the Paris subplot provides a couple of poignant, if brief moments later on, when both Kaufman and Carver mention to Bond that her death is his fault, for getting her involved, whereas in fact he tried to avoid using her for the sake of the mission. Nevertheless, considering what the film was trying to achieve, it's a blast.

Edited by mattjoes, 23 February 2016 - 02:20 AM.

#1085 Tiin007

Tiin007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1696 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 04:52 AM

Tomorrow Never Dies.

Terrific fun. I didn't find Brosnan's performance too arrogant, as before... he's just Bond at his confident best. Yeoh is solid, and has good chemistry with Brosnan, albeit professional rather than sexual. Pryce is great; not really threatening, but such a lively character (kung fu!). Stamper is memorable in his own way: the dialogue about torturing Bond, how he gets stabbed three times and just keeps on going... The action is exciting (love the cellphone), and the score is flamboyant, all wah-wah trumpets and electric guitars.

There's room for some improvement, of course. I don't know if it's the writing or the acting that I don't care for in the bedroom scene, but at least the Paris subplot provides a couple of poignant, if brief moments later on, when both Kaufman and Carver mention to Bond that her death is his fault, for getting her involved, whereas in fact he tried to avoid using her for the sake of the mission. Nevertheless, considering what the film was trying to achieve, it's a blast.

I love Tomorrow Never Dies as well.

Easily Brosnan's best, and also the only Brosnan outing that I find has real repeat value-- I can watch it over and over again and still enjoy it. I can't really say the same about his other outings, including GoldenEye which is more iconic and memorable. 

#1086 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 05:42 AM

It's about time I watched this one again, as I always enjoy it.

#1087 Surrie

Surrie

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 04:12 PM

Moonraker yesterday, but might be time to revisit TWINE tonight. 

#1088 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 12:53 AM

Good idea. Let us know how you find it. I watched the first 30 minutes the other night.

#1089 Surrie

Surrie

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 09:42 AM

Good idea. Let us know how you find it. I watched the first 30 minutes the other night.

I have a lot of time for this film. I think everyone knows by now that I grew up with Brosnan's era so it does hold a sentimental value for me anyway. Here's what I like about TWINE:

• Renard is a good character - yes the whole bullet back story is a bit strange but we've had henchmen with metal teeth before so we can get over it. 
  • Villain is well cast, and a great twist to the story. Even Bond didn't see it coming, and we get to explore M's relationship with the villain further. This movie is the epitome of "Hell hath not fury like a woman scorned'. 
  • Brosnan's 3rd outing and I think you can tell he's very much enjoying his time as Bond
  • I love the PTS - London scenes are great, Old Millenium Dome etc.
  • Garbage were a good choice for the song
  • Valentine is back!
  • Great action pieces, skiing scenes, pipeline bomb etc.

What I don't like so much: 

• The car. Brosnan is defined by BMW vehicles. Would have been nice to see a bit of variety in his movies. 
  • Denise Richards - She's an okay actress and certainly looks like a 'Bond girl', but that accent... so annoying.

That's pretty much it. I'm a sucka for a Brosnan era film. 

#1090 Grard Bond

Grard Bond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 12:30 PM

Spectre. I've been ill  now for a week, sitting at home and I've watched it five times the last couple of days.

#1091 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 02:13 PM

Been trying to watch Spectre for the first time since I saw it in theaters.  Can't seem to get into it, though.  I'll watch for a few minutes and simply lose the desire to continue moving forward with the film.  

#1092 Surrie

Surrie

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 02:56 PM

Been trying to watch Spectre for the first time since I saw it in theaters.  Can't seem to get into it, though.  I'll watch for a few minutes and simply lose the desire to continue moving forward with the film.  

Once you get past Rome, and on to the clinic, it's okay. The best part of the movie IMO runs from the clinic till when they escape Blofeld's lair.

#1093 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 05:18 PM

Once you get past Rome, and on to the clinic, it's okay. The best part of the movie IMO runs from the clinic till when they escape Blofeld's lair.

It does get better at that point, not coincidentally because Swann shows up at that point.  She's really the only saving grace of the film.

I have no idea what possessed me to walk out of the theater as high on Spectre as I was in December.  Expectations must have been lowered to an all-time low heading into it.  I think I've tried watching it three or four times and haven't gotten very far in any attempt.

#1094 Surrie

Surrie

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 08:53 PM

It does get better at that point, not coincidentally because Swann shows up at that point.  She's really the only saving grace of the film.

I have no idea what possessed me to walk out of the theater as high on Spectre as I was in December.  Expectations must have been lowered to an all-time low heading into it.  I think I've tried watching it three or four times and haven't gotten very far in any attempt.

I still really enjoy SP but I do agree upon reflection I was over-excited by it just after watching. I get like this with all Bond films when they first come out, so really I should wait until the buzz has subsided before reviewing... 

#1095 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 09:33 PM

SPECTRE comes out today in Australia so I will be buying it today and then watching it with my wife on Friday night, as she hasn't seen it yet.

#1096 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 09 March 2016 - 01:54 AM

Yep, just returned from JB Hi-Fi with it. Will be watching it tonight with my son.

#1097 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 05:11 AM

Yep, just returned from JB Hi-Fi with it. Will be watching it tonight with my son.

Yes I bought it this lunchtime from JB Hifi in Pitt Street Mall. You?

#1098 Grard Bond

Grard Bond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 11:05 AM

Skyfall yesterday.

It was even more boring than I remembered it from the last time I watched it. I can't believe people think this is the best one! The screenplay is so bad!

#1099 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 09 March 2016 - 07:59 PM

Yes I bought it this lunchtime from JB Hifi in Pitt Street Mall. You?

Got mine from the Westpoint Blacktown store.

We watched it twice in a row!

#1100 hilly

hilly

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 04:33 PM

Spectre.

I watched on dvd the other day for the first time since seeing it at the cinema in November

The pre-credits sequence is still brilliant and, for me, one of the best in a long while (since TWINE). The film looks wonderful and Mendes certainly knows how to use a location. The plot was ok, although the stitching together of all the Craig villains didn't quite work for me.

It's by no means a perfect film. I found the Austria scenes (bar the exchange with Mr White) sagged a little. But the SPECTRE board-meeting is well done as is the Rome car chase and the fight on the train. 

The regulars are all great but Waltz and Belucci are wasted. Seydoux was ok, but made little impact on me. Mr Hinx was fun and it would be good to see him back, as long as it wasn't done Jaws-style with him becoming a cartoon character.

Craig? Well, if this is the end (to quote a certain song), then it's a good one to go out on. Previous final Bond films haven't always been great (DAD, DAF and AVTAK), so he could do worse than end his Bond career by happily driving off into the sunset in the DB5...

On a personal note. One of the names on the MI6 cenotaph is mine.. There was a lovely great close-up of it when Bond sees his name sprayed over it whilst looking for Madeline. The same shot is also in the Sam Smith video.  It's probably the closest I will ever get to being in a Bond movie!

Edited by hilly, 10 March 2016 - 04:35 PM.

#1101 Yellow Pinky

Yellow Pinky

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 338 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 04:43 PM

I bought SPECTRE when it was released weeks ago in the US.  I have attempted to watch it several times since then with no degree of success at getting through it without falling asleep or allowing something...anything...to distract me.  Besides the fact that I absolutely hate the color-grading of the cinematography, I just find it impossible to get into.  I've still only seen it once all the way through and that was in the theater.  For all the vitriol heaped upon it, I find QoS (a flawed film IMHO) to be infinitely more watchable.  

#1102 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 04:50 PM

Hah - congrats on the name-scoop!

Same here, I gave SPECTRE a second go. Well, it's not a total train wreck - but it's still a pretty big letdown for me. Also overstays its welcome by at least half an hour. Let's just say it didn't improve...

That said, I now got a distinct vibe of 'closure' from it - probably just my imagination there. But when it was finally over I felt much like when I first saw that winking fish in TLD...

#1103 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 06:17 PM

I bought SPECTRE when it was released weeks ago in the US.  I have attempted to watch it several times since then with no degree of success at getting through it without falling asleep or allowing something...anything...to distract me.  Besides the fact that I absolutely hate the color-grading of the cinematography, I just find it impossible to get into.  I've still only seen it once all the way through and that was in the theater.  For all the vitriol heaped upon it, I find QoS (a flawed film IMHO) to be infinitely more watchable.  

Perfectly said.

I still haven't been able to get through the film.  I'm going to make another go of it this weekend, but its proved to be somewhat unwatchable on Blu-ray thus far.  And, as you said, the color-grading is abysmal.  This is without question the worst-looking film in the franchise, regardless of how talented Hoytema may, or may not, be as a cinematographer.

#1104 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 08:28 PM

Seems I may have actually had the better deal by not going for the blueray and taking the streaming instead...

#1105 Professor Pi

Professor Pi

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1430 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 04:01 AM

Perfectly said.

I still haven't been able to get through the film.  I'm going to make another go of it this weekend, but its proved to be somewhat unwatchable on Blu-ray thus far.  And, as you said, the color-grading is abysmal.  This is without question the worst-looking film in the franchise, regardless of how talented Hoytema may, or may not, be as a cinematographer.

Well, QoS is, what, 40 minutes shorter?  If Quantum went on for 40 more minutes, you might find it as long and boring.  Instead, due to its brevity and editing choices, we're like, "Wait, what?  That's it?"  It's over so fast, its shortcomings aren't as obvious.  But SPECTRE gives the viewer plenty of long passages to contemplate the pace of the movie, unlike QoS.

#1106 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 04:21 AM

Perfectly said.

Well, QoS is, what, 40 minutes shorter?  If Quantum went on for 40 more minutes, you might find it as long and boring.  Instead, due to its brevity and editing choices, we're like, "Wait, what?  That's it?"  It's over so fast, its shortcomings aren't as obvious.  But SPECTRE gives the viewer plenty of long passages to contemplate the pace of the movie, unlike QoS.

I don't think it has anything to do with the length of the film.  I could watch another 40 minutes of Quantum of Solace, because what is there is compelling.  The story is great, despite what people around here say, and the action, while perhaps not ideally edited (still not edited as poorly as people claim), has a great energy to it that is sorely lacking in Spectre.

Spectre's problem's don't have much to do with its length.  If anything, they needed more time to flesh out all of the half-baked plot points.  Heck, the villain only gets three scenes in a 2.5 hour film.  I think the problem with Spectre may lie in the possibility that it just might be a bad film.  Won't be able to make that judgment until I can finally sit through it from beginning to end a second time, but the attempts so far to do so haven't been promising.  

#1107 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 15 March 2016 - 03:17 AM

Watched SPECTRE with my wife and she loved it as much as I did.

I hope they carry on making movies like CR, Skyfall and SPECTRE.

#1108 PrinceKamalKhan

PrinceKamalKhan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11139 posts

Posted 17 March 2016 - 04:48 AM

Spectre. I've been ill  now for a week, sitting at home and I've watched it five times the last couple of days.

I haven't watched it from beginning to end since buying it but I have watched 29:38-37:05 a.k.a. all of Monica Bellucci's(Que bella!) footage numerous times and in 4 different languages(I think Monica did her own dubbing for the French version) since buying it. Probably my favorite part of the film. It's like Bond Meets The Godfather.

#1109 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 17 March 2016 - 04:54 AM

I haven't watched it from beginning to end since buying it but I have watched 29:38-37:05 a.k.a. all of Monica Bellucci's(Que bella!) footage numerous times and in 4 different languages(I think Monica did her own dubbing for the French version) since buying it. Probably my favorite part of the film. It's like Bond Meets The Godfather.

Yes, it's very good. I think she is great in the role and it's enough screen time for the character.

#1110 thecasinoroyale

thecasinoroyale

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14358 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 03:53 PM

'SPECTRE' on Sunday, and it left me under-whelmed after 4 months dry.