4 replies to this topic

#1 Adam

Adam

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 335 posts

Posted 02 March 2002 - 12:28 AM

I read in one of the other postings on this forum about Diana Rigg not liking Lazenby?? What's that all about, I've never heard that

#2 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 02 March 2002 - 08:30 AM

Yes, I think it was a minor joke made by Rigg to Lazenby. Combined with his friction to the producers after announcing he would no longer be Bond, the press thought that even the leading lady 'hated' him.

Just think of what happened during the filming of 'The Godfather'! :)

#3 Arrant

Arrant

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 266 posts

Posted 02 March 2002 - 01:09 AM

It was generally reported at the time that Diana Rigg and George Lazenby did not really get on with each other during the making of OHMSS.
In true tabloid newspaper fashion what was really a total difference in attitudes to their work was blown up into an alleged feud between the stars, which cumulated in the oft told story that before filming a particularly intimate love scene Rigg had a large quantity of garlic with her lunch so she could breath fumes all over Lazenby.
Over the years both stars have said that the alleged bitter hatred for each other was exaggerated.
Reading between the lines I think the main problem was that, despite her action girl background, Rigg was a formally trained Shakespearean actress who took her work very seriously whilst Lazenby was a former male model whose only previous acting experience had been humping a big crate up a beach as the

#4 RossMan

RossMan

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 02 March 2002 - 01:16 AM

In the Essential Bond, it states that the garlic came when they were at lunch and Diana said "Hey George, I'm having garlic, I hope you are!" Probably taken out of context by the tabloids.

#5 White Persian

White Persian

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 06 March 2002 - 10:18 AM

Lois Maxwell hinted in an interview some years ago that in fact Lazenby and Rigg had a little fling on location, which cooled during filming due to his attention to other girls, but that Diana later joined George on holiday after filming finished.

Whether true or not, Lazenby always speaks fondly of her.