16 replies to this topic

#1 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 20 March 2002 - 02:18 AM

I know people keep saying they wish Arnold would use the classic duh duh du(ok, that sucked, but you know what I mean). However, it seems apparent that Arnold(while retaining some Barry flavor) wants to be original in his own way.

What I'm saying is I think this is how the gunbarrels will be scored in the future films, Die Another Day included. Agree? Disagree? Love to hear your thoughts.

#2 Friedrich Baxter

Friedrich Baxter

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 426 posts

Posted 25 March 2002 - 12:12 AM

No! I disagree the gunbarrel was made for the da-da-dum theme. I don't know why, but that just sounds much better......much more POWERFULL, too be exactly. The Arnold gunbarrel is also not that original. The first 7 seconds of the music is the same as in The Spy Who Loved Me. And I'm sure Arnold can do a very good da-da-dum theme. Listen for instance to the motorbikechase music in TND. When 007 and Lin are ready to jump of the building with the BMW, you can hear a VERY GOOD da-da-dum. Thta sounded incredible good in the cinema!

Please......let the da-da-dum theme return!

#3 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 25 March 2002 - 01:34 AM

I'd love the John Barry gun-barrel theme to be used again. The recent films have been lacking in the gun-barrel music department and I'm longing to hear a strong brass clash to open the films again. BRING IT BACK!!!!!!

#4 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 25 March 2002 - 02:37 AM

I'm just saying it seems Arnold is trying to be different from Barry by doing the gunbarrels this way. If Die Another Day has the traditional Da Da Duh, then I will be proven wrong.

#5 Donovan

Donovan

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 26 July 2002 - 02:38 PM

What I find interesting about the way David Arnold scores the gun barrel opening is that he takes the very beginning of "The James Bond Theme" for the start, and uses the very end for the second part.

I honestly don't mind his choice. Perhaps he does this in deference to Barry. I know he has a great deal of respect for him.

Speaking of choices and John Barry, ever notice how he never used the classic guitar sound for any actor but Connery?

-Joe

#6 rafterman

rafterman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1963 posts

Posted 26 July 2002 - 02:54 PM

I like the gunbarrel just fine...:)

#7 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 26 July 2002 - 03:16 PM

One of the skills we all aquire as Bond fans is our ear for music. I'm sure I'm not alone when I say that I can identify which Bond film is being screened by the gunbarrel music alone.

As for Arnold's score, I'm not worried. The man's delivered before and I'm sure that this being the big 4-0, he's not going to let us down.

Lastly, a few favorite gunbarrel themes.

- GF
- TB
- OHMSS (although a bit mis-timed with George's turn and shoot)
- LALD
- FYEO (one of the best)
- TLD (Traditional and best classic rendition for the 25 anni. film)
- GE (dark yet familiar and the best part of Serra's score.)
- TWINE (almost moody and then blending into the spain sequence)

#8 Se

Se

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 204 posts

Posted 26 July 2002 - 06:30 PM

I just LOVED the TWINE-gunbarrel.
Listen to the wind on the background, listen to the sort-of-castagnettes that echo... it has so much.

But still, I have to admit, since I heard the GE-Gunbarrel, I dreamt about a symphonical du-du-dum gunbarrel with a little techno-things around it.

By the way, have you all noticed how much the MR- the OC- the AVTAK- en the TLD-gunbarrel look alike???

#9 Tedley King

Tedley King

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 26 July 2002 - 10:19 PM

I say leave the gunbarrels alone. Arnold seems to be doing great versions, bringing Bond music into the 21st century.

#10 Dunph

Dunph

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3826 posts

Posted 26 July 2002 - 11:20 PM

You know, it really wouldn't surprise me if Arnold did an about-turn and with all the visual nods and winks to the past 40 years, he himself created a few musical ones, par exemple the gunbarrel starting with the fanfare, and the inclusion of the 007 theme.

#11 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 27 July 2002 - 12:21 AM

I love Arnold's contributions to the Bond music as much as Barry's - and personally I wouldn't want Barry to come back and score another Bond film, except for him being the "father" of Bond music, but his music would be somewhat dated, I think. Arnold has a fresh feel, something that's bolder than Barry's Bond contributions. I'm sorry, but Arnold's action cues beat the pants off of anything Barry did for action. Backseat Driver is unequaled. As much as I like Barry's Space March and 007 Theme, I like them because they're the original (and they're good, of course).

I much prefer Arnold's take on the gunbarrel than Barry's - if only for the fact that it is like "the new Bond". One only has to listen to Barry's gunbarrel for TLD - and realize that it started to get lackluster. Arnold has evolved the Bond music - something that Barry had trouble doing. Bond music rarely "evolved" and changed. The people who changed the feel of the Bond music were the people who weren't Barry and gave refreshing perspectives.

Now, for a quick rundown of all 19 gunbarrels (don't read if you don't want to, it really is just my own opinion).

DN - The original, but poor when compared to later efforts.
FRWL - Near the original, and is closer to what Barry later does
GF - The gunbarrel standard! Excellent.
TB - A good gunbarrel
YOLT - Another good gunbarrel, and it works with the film.
OHMSS - Terrible. It sounds awful with that sound instead of a guitar.
DAF - Back to basics
LALD - Bond, and this time he's fly! The funk approach!
TMWTGG - A typical Barry gunbarrel, which is replicated times over again.
TSWLM - A new approach, but flops somewhat.
MR - Nearly the same gunbarrel as TMWTGG
FYEO - One of the most unique gunbarrels, very discoish.
OP - Nearly the same as MR and TMWTGG.
AVTAK - A sped-up version of OP.
TLD - Almost the same as OP
TLK - A wonderfully original approach, excellent and sets the tone for the film.
GE - An okay gunbarrel, too modern if anything. But it's not bad nessecarily.
TND - Excellent. Classic Bond in its own way.
TWINE - A continuation of TND, but redone.
DAD - Who knows what to expect?? Probably the same as TND and TWINE but with its own unique touch.

#12 Dalton

Dalton

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 196 posts

Posted 15 August 2002 - 05:56 PM

TND & TWINE were both good ones. I've gotta say that I trust what Arnold will come up with. But i'd like a full classic gunbarrel for the 40th anniversary.

#13 Renard

Renard

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 312 posts

Posted 15 August 2002 - 07:17 PM

I agree with all fans who want the classical bondish gunbarrel theme back! ( da da dum ) I think it would be the best choice for the 20. Bond adventure which celebrates the 40. anniversary of JAMES BOND!!! So there must be a link to the classical Bond theme music (gunbarrel theme) !!! I hope Arnold will use the classical one this time!

#14 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 26 August 2002 - 02:44 PM

Wow, took this thread a while to garner some attention, but I'm glad people felt it interesting enough to discuss.

As for my opinions on the matter, I think Arnold should pay homage to Barry, he should go full on with the electric guitar and just do something thats totally retro but also current. Maybe something sounding close to the GF gunbarrel but with hints of techno in the background.

Another idea I had was a full on orchestra for the gunbarrel, make it epic sounding and impressive, just something to let you know "the 40th anniversary is something that comes once every blue moon" Just something big and huge.

I wont be dissapointed if he expands on his own previous two gunbarrels though, theres a reason he got the job....

#15 Dmitri Mishkin

Dmitri Mishkin

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 27 August 2002 - 03:44 AM

I thought TWINE's gunbarrel made full use of the orchestra ( at least in the end notes)?

I'd like Arnold to carry on with his gunbarrel style, but I would like him to use a different instrument. The last two gunbarrels have been orchestral in nature. Let's hear something more unique, more distinctive. This 20th movie appears to be something special, so David, let's hear something special...

#16 Colonel Moon

Colonel Moon

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 404 posts

Posted 28 August 2002 - 07:49 PM

I like all gunbarrels

#17 jetsetwilly

jetsetwilly

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 88 posts

Posted 31 August 2002 - 02:39 PM

The only thing I didn't like about TWINE's gunbarrel was the little "chucka-chucka-chucka-ka" noise that plays as the white dots roll across the screen. In about twenty years time that's going to sound as dated as the twangy OHMSS or the Isaac Hayes version in LALD. But I would like the restoration of the "da dum".

The other thing I don't like about Arnold's treatment of the Bond theme (not the gunbarrel) is the way he ends it - that rising scale, as heard at the end of TWINE, just isn't as powerful as the clang of the guitar in the original.