15 replies to this topic

#1 walther

walther

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 375 posts

Posted 17 January 2002 - 04:53 AM

I can't personally choose a favorite in this matter because I love them both. But I was curious to see which soundtrack most forum users like most. I love the dramatic scoring on TWINE, but I also love the Chinese elements on TND, along with my ultimate fave, "Backseat Driver" which IS the ultimate driving song I might add. If David Arnold does the score to Bond 20, I'd be really curious how it turns out.

#2 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 24 January 2002 - 08:11 AM

James Page (21 Jan, 2002 11:21 p.m.):

Parasyte (21 Jan, 2002 11:13 p.m.):
I can tell you where Arnolds vote goes: TND. The trailer was also scored by Arnold for TWINE, and when Bond is pulling himself along the sub, it is off the TND albulm, plus he also admitted it.

This was because the trailer was produced before the TWINE score was completed, therefore he simply pulled some of the TND score into it.

They've been doing this on Bond teaser trailers for years...

Quite; the Moonraker trailer has the music from Diamonds are Forever all over it.

#3 Parasyte

Parasyte

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 197 posts

Posted 25 January 2002 - 07:31 PM

Really? Being 14 they kinda past me by. In 87 I knew nothing of TLD, 89 and LTK was the same, GoldenEye I didnt bother with, as my interest in Bond has only been spanning 2 years or so, so knowing the TWINE trailer thing was the only one I've been old enough for:)

#4 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 25 January 2002 - 08:24 PM

TND definately. As much as I liked TWINE's cool feel to it, the brassy, Barry-esque TND score takes the cake. The music during the whole stealth-boat thing takes the cake. TND is one of my favorite Bond scores, and takes the best of the last 20 years.

~Harmsway

#5 mkkbb

mkkbb

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 19 March 2002 - 11:19 AM

Harmsway (25 Jan, 2002 08:24 p.m.):
TND definately. As much as I liked TWINE's cool feel to it, the brassy, Barry-esque TND score takes the cake. The music during the whole stealth-boat thing takes the cake. TND is one of my favorite Bond scores, and takes the best of the last 20 years.

~Harmsway

Are you forgetting the marvellous The Living Daylights score? That was incredible, and AVTAK was also good, with memorable themes.

Although I like TWINE's score very much I think it relies on electronic sounds way too much.

#6 ShockTroop22

ShockTroop22

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 1013 posts

Posted 19 March 2002 - 05:03 PM

I like both scores very much. But if i were asked to choose i favourite (which i am), then i'd choose Tomorrow Never Dies. I really, really, really, like: "Backseat Driver", and the love theme that is played when Bond is in the hotel with Paris (i dunno the name of this piece of music).
On The World is not Enough, i like "Ice Bandits", and the music from the boat chase.

#7 JAWS

JAWS

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 161 posts

Posted 01 February 2002 - 07:44 AM

What a toughie. I would have to go with TND. I think this one will also hev a longer "sell by" date. It seems more ageless then TWINE.

#8 Dunph

Dunph

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3826 posts

Posted 23 January 2002 - 10:41 PM

What I liked was the brilliant use of the chumpy rock/chilled electronic Bond theme on the GoldenEye trailers and on the TND main trailer updated by Parodi/Fair. Superb stuff...Won awards you know....now if only they released it as a single....

#9 Parasyte

Parasyte

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 197 posts

Posted 21 January 2002 - 11:13 PM

I can tell you where Arnolds vote goes: TND. The trailer was also scored by Arnold for TWINE, and when Bond is pulling himself along the sub, it is off the TND albulm, plus he also admitted it. Personally, I only REALLY like Caviar Factory and trax 2/3 on TWINE. TND has a more punchy, up beat feel to it, rather than the mood setting. DA went off track when Barbara started, ahem, 'helping' on TWINE. Wen Wilson basically left Arnold to his own devices on TND, it turned out better. Mind you, looking at it from a musicians POV, TND was a heck of a lot easier film to score for. TWINE was an average film at the best of times, jumping from action, to slow, to action, in few and far between scenes. Apted wasnt even a good choice director. Gah... he's world renowned for documentaries and real life TV Films... wtf were Broccoli and Wilson thinking. Gah... ameteaurs.... oh wait.

#10 James Page

James Page

Lt. Commander

• Crew
  • PipPipPip
  • 1456 posts

Posted 21 January 2002 - 11:18 PM

Parasyte (21 Jan, 2002 11:13 p.m.):
I can tell you where Arnolds vote goes: TND. The trailer was also scored by Arnold for TWINE, and when Bond is pulling himself along the sub, it is off the TND albulm, plus he also admitted it.

This was because the trailer was produced before the TWINE score was completed, therefore he simply pulled some of the TND score into it.

They've been doing this on Bond teaser trailers for years...

#11 rafterman

rafterman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1963 posts

Posted 27 May 2002 - 02:21 AM

I prefer Tomorrow Never Dies to The World is not Enough, but they're both fantastic, Tomorrow Never Dies is just way punchier and faster....

#12 level007

level007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 723 posts

Posted 27 May 2002 - 11:14 AM

Theses two score are different, and thanks god for that.
TND was actually a "dream come true" fro DA. When he scored it, he put in it all he wanted to do since so many years. TWINE is more a "job".
I like both. The main reason i think people prefer TND to TWINE is that TND use a lot more of The James Bond Theme. ANd to this, the TWINE cd doesn't do justice to what arnold did. First it lacks the Gunbarrel, then the ultra cool music from the swiss bank (which you can find here at http://www.welcomebond.fr.st ) and the end credits.
TWine is also a lot more darker than TWINE.
I am sure that DAD will be another very great score with a lot of guitar (the cuba sequence).

In a few days ill post on my site (see the link below) all the tracks that weren't on the two cd of TND. And i can say that you ll not believe what you heard. They are amazing !

#13 Joyce Carrington

Joyce Carrington

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4631 posts

Posted 21 June 2002 - 07:00 AM

Though TWINE was very good, I'd have to go with TND. Why?
White knight, Hamburg break-in, Hamburg break-out, Backseat driver...
Need I say more?

#14 Victor Zokas

Victor Zokas

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 210 posts

Posted 21 June 2002 - 08:48 AM

TWINE was good but TND doe have a great selection of tracks, particularly Backseat Driver which is one of the best Bond tracks ever due in no small part to The Propellerheads.

#15 Jeff007

Jeff007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2076 posts

Posted 21 June 2002 - 03:07 PM

TWINE was way better. TND, dare I say it, had too much James Bond Theme. Tracks like Submarine, Electra's Theme, Welcome to Baku to name a few a amazing in my mind. Pulse when David used the Bond theme it was at the perfect time. Although, when watching the movie it would have been nice to hear the Bond Theme in the Skiing squence.
Just my opinion.

#16 MicroGlobe One

MicroGlobe One

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 103 posts

Posted 21 June 2002 - 03:59 PM

Personally, I prefer the score for The World is Not Enough. Both scores are different, that's for sure, and they're both superb. (While two soundtrack albums for Tomorrow Never Dies have been released I'm still very thankful the DVD contains an isolated soundtrack audio track, providing us the opportunity to hear that music not included on the CDs.)

What puts the latter over for me is the phenomenal scoring throughout the extended teaser sequence. There's no better piece of soundtrack music, Bond or otherwise, than the thrilling accompanyment for the Thames boat chase. David Arnold out did himself, beating out even the Propellerheads collaboration of "Backseat Driver."

I can't wait to see what Mr. Arnold has up his sleeve for Die Another Day.