This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Just what is the score with Barry and Norman and the James Bond theme?

6 replies to this topic

#1 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts
  • Location:Was on Saturn, now back in Belfast, Northern Ireland

Posted 29 January 2002 - 11:06 PM

I'm confused, who exactly was it who wrote the James Bond theme? Was it John Barry or was it Monty Norman?

Some say it was Barry (including, I think Barry himself). However Monty Norman (in one interview I saw anyway) seems to say it was him. He seems to be saying that it is from a song he wrote that's lyrics go something like this.

(I'm working from memory, apologies if I get it slightly wrong).

"I was born with this unlucky sneeze and what is worse I came into this world the wrong way round......." (That's all the lyrics he tells us).

#2 level007

level007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 723 posts

Posted 29 January 2002 - 11:52 PM

mrmoon (29 Jan, 2002 11:28 p.m.):
Yes that's the correct lyrics. Yes Monty Norman is the man who composed the James Bond theme, John Barry simply Orchestrated the theme. He had already written it when cubby asked him to join the production, he therefore discarded the lyrics, voila the James Bond theme was born. Vic Flick played the guitar on it btw not John Barry.

John Barry simply orchastred the theme ? i am not sure. Barry not only do that, he arrange the them in a new way, because the Norman's one was slower. ANyway you can hear the one from Norman in the Dr No soundtrack, it s the track 17. And i can garanty you that the difference is quite clear. For me there is no question about who really write the james bond theme. His name ? Barry, John Barry. Period. And one more evidence is that producers ask Barry to return for From Russia With Love, and not Norman.

#3 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts

Posted 30 January 2002 - 12:05 AM

I'm not being obnoxious, but I don't know which one of you is correct.

#4 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 30 January 2002 - 04:27 AM

For the difinitive and forensic-like analysis of the whole Monty Norman V The Sunday Times court case in regards to the James Bond theme lawsuit, please check outThe John Barry Resource.

Makes for very interesting reading. There appears to be no love lost between Barry and Norman, and in parts of the court case it got quite personal.

#5 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts

Posted 30 January 2002 - 08:32 PM

Thanks, I'll have a look at that.

#6 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 31 January 2002 - 04:06 AM

Eventually we're hoping to run an article on it. It's interesting and I really don't even have a definitive view. Speak to Blofelds Cat. He's put thought into it.

#7 mrmoon

mrmoon

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 29 January 2002 - 11:28 PM

Yes that's the correct lyrics. Yes Monty Norman is the man who composed the James Bond theme, John Barry simply Orchestrated the theme. He had already written it when cubby asked him to join the production, he therefore discarded the lyrics, voila the James Bond theme was born. Vic Flick played the guitar on it btw not John Barry.