7 replies to this topic

#1 Carver

Carver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1470 posts

Posted 18 September 2002 - 08:12 PM

Given my lack of knowledge with the Bond books (I didn't even know about Gardener, Amis and Benson before I joined these forums) you'll have to bear with me here. We've had best Bond girl (films), but what about the best fictional Bond girls? I'd say (in my collection) I like Tylyn from NDOD. I think that Domino from Tb is very good, she is slightly different from the film one, and Sunni from ZMt is ok. So, what are your ideas?

#2 Mourning Becomes Electra

Mourning Becomes Electra

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 18 September 2002 - 08:35 PM

My favorites:

Tiffany from DAF
Gala Brand from Moonraker
Domino from TB
Ariadne from Colonel Sun.

#3 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 18 September 2002 - 08:41 PM

Tracy and Kissy are the best; Bond's two wives. Tiffany Case is also fascinating. For Non-Fleming Sunni Pei from Zero Minus Ten is by far the best. Gardner's best were Cedar Leiter and Flicka, but Gardner's women never really did much for me.

#4 Mourning Becomes Electra

Mourning Becomes Electra

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 18 September 2002 - 08:57 PM

I haven't read all of Gardner's but his women are usually twits or flakes, they start of allegedly strong for about 2 pages (sometimes 2 lines) and then become sobbing incompetent ninnies. Exceptions are Cedar Leiter and Paula Vacker.

As for Benson's women, they're not much better, either they're bland or well skanky, either way they're more cipher than character with little wit or intelligence. But of the bunch I'd take the one from Facts Of Death... so memorable I forgot her name, oh yes Niki. Oh I take that back I do like Helena Marksbury!

#5 Double-0 Six

Double-0 Six

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 411 posts

Posted 18 September 2002 - 09:13 PM

I can't remember her name now, but the Japanese agent in The Man With The Red Tattoo who
Spoiler
was interesting. Benson's best so far.

I was really disappointed with the way things turned out for her.

#6 Mourning Becomes Electra

Mourning Becomes Electra

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 18 September 2002 - 09:22 PM

Double-O-Six, yes dissapointing. In fact I find on whole Benson's secondary women like Helena Marksbury or Bond's shrink in Doubleshoot far more interesting than his main women.

#7 Jeff007

Jeff007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2076 posts

Posted 18 September 2002 - 09:41 PM

I like Domino TB also Vesper Lynn CR to name a few for now.

#8 brendan007

brendan007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1512 posts

Posted 19 September 2002 - 07:50 AM

i always like vivienne michel. reading her background in the first half of the spy who loved me was very entertaining
as for bensons women, my faviourite is tylin minouge from NDOD with Hope Kendall from HTTK. sunni pei was also an interesting variation for a bond girl, although she lost this originality when benson created her copy in TMWTRT
as for gardners women none of them are particularly memorable, a lot like the books themselves