17 replies to this topic

#1 White Persian

White Persian

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 20 November 2001 - 01:28 AM

Just curious to know which version of our man's leitmotif appeals most to Bond fans.
My own preferences:
1) OHMSS- partly sentimental, it was my first Bond film, but I just think the synthesizer treatment is very cool indeed.
2) The knock-your-socks-off David Arnold version over TWINE's end credits.Why isn't it on the CD?
3) FRWL-the version used while Bond's prowling round Istanbul.

Of course the Dr No version set the standard and is, I suppose, the "classic" rendition, just not my favourite for some reason.

#2 mccartney007

mccartney007

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3406 posts

Posted 06 December 2001 - 08:38 PM

Many people choose the Monty Norman version of the James Bond theme as their favorite. I've never really understood that because the John Barry version is much, much better. It's my personal favorite. I'm also a big fan of George Martin's James Bond theme from "Live and Let Die." AND I'm also a pretty big fan of the David Arnold versions.

#3 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 06 December 2001 - 09:16 PM

mccartney007 (06 Dec, 2001 08:38 p.m.):(edited)
Many people choose the Monty Norman version of the James Bond theme as their favorite.  I've never really understood that because the John Barry version is much, much better.  It's my personal favorite.

I have to agree with you there, mac. There is just something about that Vic Flick guitar sound that has a feeling of home about it. It is pure Bond. But I do love most all of versions of the Bond Theme used in the movies (The exception is the Eric Serra version, the best thing about it was it was better than the rest of the god-awful music.)

One of my favourite Bond Theme moments was the David Arnold version blaring over the film while Bond casually drove the DB5 in to a parking lot in Tomorrow Never Dies. Without the theme, I doubt I would even remember this scene from early in the movie. But with it, suddenly this simple scene has ties with the rest of the series going all the way back to Dr. No.

#4 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 07 December 2001 - 12:58 PM

mccartney007 (06 Dec, 2001 08:38 p.m.):
I'm also a big fan of George Martin's James Bond theme from "Live and Let Die."

Martin's rendition of the theme is my favourite. Actually, I really liked all of the one-off composer's versions.

They are had something different to add, and being one-offs they seem to stand out more.

Mccartney007 (can I call you Jordan?), may be you can confirm this, but did McCartney record the title song in one studio while Martin was recording the score next door in the same building?

The song and score had plenty of similarities, so may be there was some musical correspondence between the two.

#5 level007

level007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 723 posts

Posted 07 December 2001 - 01:09 PM

Blofeld's Cat (07 Dec, 2001 12:58 p.m.):

I'm also a big fan of George Martin's James Bond theme from "Live and Let Die."

Martin's rendition of the theme is my favourite. Actually, I really liked all of the one-off composer's versions.

They are had something different to add, and being one-offs they seem to stand out more.

Mccartney007 (can I call you Jordan?), may be you can confirm this, but did McCartney record the title song in one studio while Martin was recording the score next door in the same building?

The song and score had plenty of similarities, so may be there was some musical correspondence between the two.

Maybe you know that, but George Martin was the producer of the Beatles, so Martin and McCartney knew each other very well, and i am sure that they made the music together.

It s tru that Live and let die have some good music in it. I especialy like the track number 3 of the cd "bond meets Solitaire".

#6 Evil Doctor Cheese

Evil Doctor Cheese

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1019 posts

Posted 07 December 2001 - 02:12 PM

I like the one on the end of TWINE... really modern. I waited until the end of the credit when that came on but it must be such a cool way to exit a cinema once you've finished watching a Bond film. I remember kids running around thinking they were Bond to this music... it was cool.

I really don't like the version of the Bond theme on Arnold's tribute album... there's nothing to it... just a back beat and the odd note... it was TOO modern.

#7 White Persian

White Persian

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 12 December 2001 - 09:36 AM

Many people choose the Monty Norman version of the James Bond theme as their favorite.  I've never really understood that because the John Barry version is much, much better.  

I suspect that what people refer to as the "Monty Norman version" is actually the John Barry orchestrated version from Dr No (with Vic Flick on guitar).
The pure Monty Norman version, before John Barry punched it up in his inimitable way can be heard on the Dr No soundtrack, but you probably wouldn't even notice or recognise it. The basic "dum diddle-um dum dum-dum" notes are there but none of the driving Barry rhythm or the distinctive twanging "Ta dum ta dum ta da dah".

Doncha love my mastery of musical notation!

#8 White Persian

White Persian

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 24 November 2001 - 11:35 AM

I suppose the James Bond Theme is missing from the TSWLM Soundtrack and others because it wasn't the work of the composer of the rest of the score. I know it came as a pleasant surprise that the LTK soundtrack album included the gunbarrel theme. Wish they all did.

#9 level007

level007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 723 posts

Posted 22 November 2001 - 12:02 AM

if you guys want the james bond theme heard during end credits of TWINE, i have it. SO just e-mail me or send me a message by ICQ and i ll send it to you.
but you can find it on audiogalaxy.com and other mp3 site.

I nearly love every james bond theme.
Especially those from david Arnold.

There is also the ones from The spy who loved me, but which are no on the cd, that are good, like when bond is up to the camera to put the nuclear head in the cargo, or when Bond go to THe Water station with his jetski. (i extracted them from the dvd)

level007

#10 JAWS

JAWS

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 161 posts

Posted 01 February 2002 - 07:23 AM

That's a toughie. I remember the first time I heard the GoldenEye teaser Bond theme (I saw it on a video cassete) and thought it was great!
Favoites:
-GoldenEye teaser
-TLD's version
-Altman's "Tank Chase"
-Arnold's "Caviar Factory"
And I love the fact that the Bond theme is all over in TND's soundtrack! Though I realize it probably woudn't be to good to play the Bond theme so much in every movie, I'd like to hear this done again for Bond 20 (it is, after all, the fortieth anniversary of the theme).

Does any one else like Vic Flick's "Shaken, Not Stirred" ? I really like it towards the end when the electric guitar kicks in louder!

#11 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 10 February 2002 - 09:47 PM

On this David Arnold website
http://www.davidarno...reeserve.co.uk/
there's a sample of a version of the James Bond theme that I've never heard before and I can't find it on any CD's or music sites.
It's much in the style of Tomorrow Never Dies, but I think it was released before this as the intro is also used in the remix by Ltj Bukem.
Does anyone have this version or know of it's origin. Was it one that was originally to appear on Shaken and Stirred.

It's a shame as the sample only plays a minutes worth and it is cut right at the best bit.

#12 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 10 February 2002 - 09:50 PM

Tanger007 (10 Feb, 2002 09:47 p.m.):
a sample of a version of the James Bond theme

Go to 'media' then at the bottom 'misc'.

#13 Friedrich Baxter

Friedrich Baxter

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 426 posts

Posted 11 February 2002 - 12:30 AM

Diamonds Are Forever. Good use of the guitare, combined with very powerfull hornblowing

#14 Dmitri Mishkin

Dmitri Mishkin

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 11 February 2002 - 05:56 AM

I'd have to say the version of the theme that gets me jumping out my seat the most is the one that Barry crafted for the pre-credits of Moonraker. Rousing, fast-paced and big band-like with the blaring orchestra blended with an excellent background rhythm. That was a nice touch on the original theme.

The upbeat version of the theme Barry concocted for The Living Daylights was also some darn good stuff too.

If there's one thing I can say, it's that Mr. Barry has pulled out some pretty spectacular variations of the Bond theme over the years. :)

#15 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 12 February 2002 - 03:33 AM

Now I know someone's going to flame me for this, but: Licence to Kill's PTS theme. That was the only time the Bond theme was 'broken up' for the gunbarrel--it sounded very cool (Da-da dum....da-da dum......do-do-do-do-do etc.)
Too bad the soundtrack puts it in about three different tracks:P

Okay, if you didn't flame me for that (lol), then this'll do it. I kind of like Eric Serra's rendidtion of the Bond theme--not any of the other filth he fouled the orchestra (or was it his PC? :)) with. But the 'chanting sounds' (the ones that sound like the witch's guards in 'The Wizard of Oz') work well with his arrangement--menacing.

I also like the end of OHMSS' end titles, Goldfinger has some good arrangement in the PTS especially.

#16 scaramanga

scaramanga

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 1089 posts

Posted 20 November 2001 - 05:57 PM

[quote]7777 (20 Nov, 2001 04:18 a.m.):
[quote]White Persian (20 Nov, 2001 01:28 a.m.):
2) The knock-your-socks-off David Arnold version over TWINE's end credits.Why isn't it on the CD? quote]

I also love this version too, and I can't understand why it isn't on the CD either, perhaps they will release the entire score just like they did with TND.[/quote]

I'm sure it was just put in at the last minute. The end credits was going to be 'Only Myself to Blame' by Scott Walker, which can be found on the soundtrack.

#17 MDSmith

MDSmith

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 177 posts

Posted 20 November 2001 - 04:17 AM

[quote]White Persian (20 Nov, 2001 01:28 a.m.):
2) The knock-your-socks-off David Arnold version over TWINE's end credits.Why isn't it on the CD? quote]

I also love this version too, and I can't understand why it isn't on the CD either, perhaps they will release the entire score just like they did with TND.

#18 scaramanga

scaramanga

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 1089 posts

Posted 06 December 2001 - 08:27 PM

My favourite version of the James Bond theme? The original and best - The Monte Norman version.
I also love the way the theme creeps into the FRWL tune during the bellydancer titles.