3 replies to this topic

#1 Joey Bond

Joey Bond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 07:12 AM

Like most of you I've seen CR countless times but there is one line that I still don't understand.

M: This may be too much for a blunt instrument to understand, but arrogance and self-awareness seldom go hand in hand
Bond: So you want me to be half monk half hitman?

So is Bond saying if he can divorce arrogance and self-awareness he'll be this 'half monk half hitman' (which doesn't really make sense to me), or is he just trying to annoy M by rhyming "understand" and "hand" with "hitman"?

#2 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 07:16 AM

M was just saying that what he was doing was too direct, and implied he needed to learn some finesse. Bond got the idea, and replied with that line. No rhymes or tricks like that going on, just basic dialogue. Half monk, half hitman. In basic English it could be interpreted as being soulful and tough.

#3 dodge

dodge

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5068 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 03:33 PM

I think Bond was also responding to the irony of M's remark: she's paying him to kill folks and here she is, talking of spiritual awareness. To me, Craig's delivery was dripping with sarcasm.

#4 Judo chop

Judo chop

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7461 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 03:39 PM

I think Bond was also responding to the irony of M's remark: she's paying him to kill folks and here she is, talking of spiritual awareness. To me, Craig's delivery was dripping with sarcasm.

Correct.

Bond's playing the belligerent punk, and M senses it. Thus her response in a very notwithstanding manner, "<No>, I want you to take your ego out of the equation."