#1 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 06:12 PM

Posted Image
First 'By Royal Command' review goes live, as Charlie Higson signs non-Bond publishing deal with Puffin

#2 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 08:41 PM

Bit early for a review, isn't it? I'm going to take that with a pinch of salt, I think. Especially as it manages to mention no specific details whatsoever. Very much tempted to call it a fake.

But yeah, c'mon Charlie: we want War Bond! :tup:
The new Puffin book series sounds great though; very good news. I like the sound of horror; good to see kids getting scared being fashionable again.

#3 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 09:35 PM

Definitely great news.

Will be really interesting to see how this new non-Bond series will compare and contrast with the Young Bond adventures.

#4 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 03:40 AM

Bit early for a review, isn't it? I'm going to take that with a pinch of salt, I think. Especially as it manages to mention no specific details whatsoever. Very much tempted to call it a fake.

It's not too early for proofs to be sent out. Or it could be IFP gave Waterstones booksellers an early read. They do seem to have a good relationship with Waterstones, witness all the DMC tie-ins.

#5 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 04:10 AM

This is great news indeed if legitimate. I always thought By Royal Command had the potential to dethrone Blood Fever, with this glowing review, it looks like it may. If this instalment is the last, it would be a great way to close out what has been a great series.

#6 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 12:25 PM

I think we can safely trust Charlie to produce THE 100th Anniversary Celebration novel with By Royal Command, rather than the dire mess that was Devil May Care.

Higson is a Fleming admirer and connoisseur. Faulks isn't.

#7 Skudor

Skudor

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9286 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 12:49 PM

Higson is a Fleming admirer and connoisseur. Faulks isn't.

That's as good a summary as any.

Perhaps I should pick up the YB novels next...

#8 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 01:09 PM

I think we can safely trust Charlie to produce THE 100th Anniversary Celebration novel with By Royal Command, rather than the dire mess that was Devil May Care.

Yep, I think BRC will be worthy of that mantle. Ironic that the YB book looks to be better than the adult Bond book. I'd say Blood Fever already has achieved that in relation to most of the continuation novels.

Without a doubt. Whether an infant or senior citizen is the main protagonist, it does not change the fact that they are very enjoyable reads.

#9 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 01:19 PM

Ironic that the YB book looks to be better than the adult Bond book. I'd say Blood Fever already has achieved that in relation to most of the continuation novels.

I'd agree with that; pretty much the strongest post-Fleming Bond to actually feel like Fleming. And without having to resort to any of his Bentley/scrambled eggs/hotcoldshowers cliches.
I'm rather partial to Double Or Die as well; they're just cracking books.

#10 Skudor

Skudor

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9286 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 01:22 PM

Yep, I think BRC will be worthy of that mantle. Ironic that the YB book looks to be better than the adult Bond book. I'd say Blood Fever already has achieved that in relation to most of the continuation novels.

Without a doubt. Whether an infant or senior citizen is the main protagonist, it does not change the fact that they are very enjoyable reads.

I may just have to do that...

#11 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 01:25 PM

I'd agree with that; pretty much the strongest post-Fleming Bond to actually feel like Fleming. And without having to resort to any of his Bentley/scrambled eggs/hotcoldshowers cliches.

In fairness, they weren't cliches in Fleming's hands, simply sparingly used to emphasise Bond's character.

It is in Faulks hands that Bond is loading up on cholesterol whenever he had hunger pangs and drowning in every bathroom he enters. :tup:

#12 Sigma7

Sigma7

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 230 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 02:28 PM

Higson has been a suprise too me, i read silverfin and wasnt too impressed, but i read hurricane gold and bloodfever, and it renewed my faith in higsons abilities, eventually ill get a copy of double or die and see how that goes

#13 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 02:44 PM

In fairness, they weren't cliches in Fleming's hands, simply sparingly used to emphasise Bond's character.

Oh yes, absolutely- I didn't mean that. It's just that every bit of fan fiction and a good deal of continuations use all the black comma/Hogey Carmichael/blue grey eyes/ three gold rings/pressupsuntilhismusclesscreamed stuff so much that it seems they've just torn up pieces of paper with these Bondisms written on and pulled them out of a hat. Less so Gardner, which I found quite refreshing.

#14 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 02:49 PM

Yes; you're right- I didn't mean that. It's just that every bit of fan fiction and a good deal of continuations use all the black comma/Hogey Carmichael/blue grey eyes/ three gold rings/pressupsuntilhismusclesscreamed stuff so much that it seems they've just torn up pieces of paper with these Bondisms written on and pulled them out of a hat. Less so Gardner, which I found quite refreshing.

Yes. It has always indicated a lack of confidence in the author that he has had to resort to those kind of things. That he wants to ensure we get it that its Bond. So we get Bond painting by numbers.

We know it's James Bond, for heavens sake.

#15 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 03:05 PM

What's fun about Charlie/YB is the Bondisms are still there, but very obscure. You have to really know your Fleming to spot them. Pinaud Elixer shampoo? Love it.

One thing that bodes well for BRC is the fact that it's going to have a full-blown romance in it. In the past Charlie has said he would avoid romance in the YB series because he feared it wouldn't work with his male readers. I think he has been careful to remind himself that while we (older) Bond fans love the books, his primary readership is still kids. But the fact that he's going to now ask more of his core readership is a good indication that he is letting his own passions guide him in this book. I think he is shooting high and I expect he will nail it for all readers of all ages. I can't wait for this book.

#16 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 05:21 PM

One thing that bodes well for BRC is the fact that it's going to have a full-blown romance in it. In the past Charlie has said he would avoid romance in the YB series because he feared it wouldn't work with his male readers. I think he has been careful to remind himself that while we Bond fans love the books, his primary readership are still kids. But the fact that he's going to now ask more of his core readership is a good indication that he is letting his own passions guide him in this book. I think he is shooting high and I expect he will nail it for all readers of all ages. I can't wait for this book.

I see By Royal Command as the book that will finally convince the few remaining James Bond fans who still refuse to pick up a Young Bond novel to do so. By Royal Command is a bridge novel - one that will, as Charlie said, see James "poised on the edge of becoming Fleming’s Bond" (the involvement of MI6 may also go some way toward considering By Royal Command A James Bond novel).

While By Royal Command might be the wrong place to start reading the Young Bond series, especially given the clear evolution of the character throughout the five books, if it opens this series up to get the fan audience it deserves, mission accomplished.

#17 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 05:41 PM

Because it contains "the maid incident", I suspect many Bond fans who don't have interest in Young Bond will at least read this one book. This may be a very good way to sweep in the holdouts. Because I do think they will be hooked enough to read another, and another...

#18 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 07:10 PM

So how old is James in this one? Has it been a year a book in his life: Silverfin starting at 11 and so on?

#19 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 07:50 PM

No. The entire YB series only spans 1933 to 1934. Bond was 13 in SilverFin, 14 in BRC. He's had a busy year. :tup:

#20 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 08:09 PM

I know Double or Die brilliantly takes place over a single weekend, but what are the timespans of the other three books?