49 replies to this topic

#1 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 05:52 AM

I don't really know how the whole fanfiction thing works on this site, so if I'm going about this wrong, then I apologize in advance.

Anyway, after a discussion in one of the forums here about possible storylines for a true follow-up to Fleming's THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN GUN, I had an idea for a possible story of how Bond might go out for revenge against those who brainwashed him at the beginning of Fleming's TMWTGG story. The main purpose of the fan fiction would be to celebrate Fleming's centenary (although, unfortunately, a bit late).

I have a plot summary and characters ready and a very good idea about where I'm going with the story. I have a small amount completed now, and planned to, if it's permissible, to write it in a serialized fashion.

TITLE: End of the Line (working title)
SETTING: London, Tokyo, Moscow, Vladivostok, Kiyev
TIME: December 1965--March 1966

CHARACTERS:
James Bond
Audrey Belmont (an employee of MI6/Universal Exports)
Helena Vesna (a Russian woman whom Bond meets in Vladivostok)
Vladimir Petrova (a small-time criminal in the mob)
Roscoe (one of Petrova's associates)
M
Moneypenny
Tiger Tanaka

PLOT SUMMARY:
James Bond arrives back in London from his ordeal with Scaramanga in Jamaica. Despite having taken care of the world's most renowned assassin, Bond's relationship with M and MI6 is still very much in doubt because of his attempt on M's life due to being brainwashed at the hands of an unknown group of criminals in Vladivostok, Russia. Intelligence gathered by MI6 operatives in Russia point to a man named Vladimir Petrova, a small-time criminal looking for a way to make it to the big time in organized crime within Russia. As Bond begins his investigation into Petrova, he meets Helena Vesna, a woman who went through a similar brainwashing ordeal that destroyed her life. She teams up with Bond, and the two look into the small-time organization that Petrova runs with the help of a man named Roscoe. As they investigate, they learn that Petrova's criminal activities are just a small part of a much larger scheme that takes Bond from Vladivostok to Moscow and eventually to Kiyev, Ukraine.

#2 clinkeroo

clinkeroo

Commander

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 06:34 AM

Sounds great, tdalton, and serializing is often the name of the game in fan fiction. I think you'll like the instant payback of the format the team here designed for The Rough and the Smooth. Seeing your work put forward in an artistic manner and setting is a lot more rewarding that just plopping it into a straight blog.

BTW-not trying to discourage, but there was a very good fan fiction novel written a few years back by Ross Sidor called The Man from Vladivostok that covered the same time frame. Different plot, but a great read all the same. Good luck, and enjoy.

#3 ImTheMoneypenny

ImTheMoneypenny

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1352 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 01:13 PM

I'm new at this too, tdalton and I was thinking about doing a serialised adventure myself. I guess we'll both be learning the ropes. :)

I saw your discussion about a successor to TMWTGG in the DMC thread and thought you were onto something.

I've been reading Joyce Carrington's Off Balace (she was nice enough to send me a word version.) to start with, and I've checked out other stories at The Rough and The Smooth as well. My computer's Windows Vista is incompatible with Adobe so I can't view adventures in PDF format unfortunately. :(

My problem with my adventure, is I don't want to step on anyone's toes coming up with my own fan-fic. There's so much out there, that I don't know what's been done. :tup:

Good luck tdalton! I'll be looking for your posts of End of the Line! :tup:

#4 Hitch

Hitch

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1219 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 10:18 PM

My problem with my adventure, is I don't want to step on anyone's toes coming up with my own fan-fic. There's so much out there, that I don't know what's been done. :tup:

With respect, it doesn't matter. Write whatever you want and have fun doing it. :(

But don't write about a blond Bond. Too absurd for words...

:tup:

#5 ImTheMoneypenny

ImTheMoneypenny

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1352 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 11:24 PM

With respect, it doesn't matter. Write whatever you want and have fun doing it. :)

But don't write about a blond Bond. Too absurd for words...

:(

Thanks, and oh that won't be a problem. Blond Bond what blond Bond? :tup:

#6 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 06:51 AM

Thanks for the encouragement and advice. I'm currently working on it and hope to have at least a chapter or so up sometime tomorrow.

EDIT: I've posted the first chapter.

#7 ImTheMoneypenny

ImTheMoneypenny

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1352 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 11:19 AM

Thanks for the encouragement and advice. I'm currently working on it and hope to have at least a chapter or so up sometime tomorrow.

EDIT: I've posted the first chapter.

I'm going to go have a look-see! :tup:

#8 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 02:44 AM

I'm actually kind of surprised at how much writing I've gotten done today. I'm currently working on the third chapter of the story, at which point I think that the original plot summary would probably have to be tweaked a bit to be more accurate, but the overall storyline and everything that I laid out in the summary is still going to be included.

I've uploaded the second chapter for moderation, but once it's posted I'm going to have to make some minor tweaks to it because I came up with what I felt was a good idea for a third chapter which involved adding another location to the story, which means that a few minor adjustments will have to be made to the second chapter in order to make it mesh together with the third. I don't know how good the quality of the writing and/or story is at this point, but I have to say that I'm having a great time writing it. :tup:

One other note that I should also make is that, just for the purpose of this story, I'm ignoring the continuity that is established by all of the continuation novels. If anything doesn't seem to fit together with what we've come to know through the Gardner, Benson, and Faulks novels, then that is why.

#9 ImTheMoneypenny

ImTheMoneypenny

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1352 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 04:34 AM

I'm actually kind of surprised at how much writing I've gotten done today. I'm currently working on the third chapter of the story, at which point I think that the original plot summary would probably have to be tweaked a bit to be more accurate, but the overall storyline and everything that I laid out in the summary is still going to be included.

I've uploaded the second chapter for moderation, but once it's posted I'm going to have to make some minor tweaks to it because I came up with what I felt was a good idea for a third chapter which involved adding another location to the story, which means that a few minor adjustments will have to be made to the second chapter in order to make it mesh together with the third. I don't know how good the quality of the writing and/or story is at this point, but I have to say that I'm having a great time writing it. :tup:

One other note that I should also make is that, just for the purpose of this story, I'm ignoring the continuity that is established by all of the continuation novels. If anything doesn't seem to fit together with what we've come to know through the Gardner, Benson, and Faulks novels, then that is why.

So far I have liked what I've seen of this. :tup:

I always get a bit of a skeleton idea of my stories I try to stick to, but you know sometimes I think the tale tells itself and it'll move you, as an author, in a direction you never saw coming. I'm a terrible perfectionist with my stories I'll write them two or three times before I even type them into the computer, then I'll tweak it around some more later. My idea has gone through a handful of year shifts, plots, and locations, I think I've finally settled on mine, but we'll see when I finally get up the courage to post anything about it. I probably won't begin posting until I know I'll finish the story.

I figured you were keeping strictly with the Flemings line, and that's fine by me. I think there's a enough room for everybody writing what they enjoy most about Bond adventures. :(

#10 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 04:55 AM

I always get a bit of a skeleton idea of my stories I try to stick to, but you know sometimes I think the tale tells itself and it'll move you, as an author, in a direction you never saw coming. I'm a terrible perfectionist with my stories I'll write them two or three times before I even type them into the computer, then I'll tweak it around some more later. My idea has gone through a handful of year shifts, plots, and locations, I think I've finally settled on mine, but we'll see when I finally get up the courage to post anything about it. I probably won't begin posting until I know I'll finish the story.

I figured you were keeping strictly with the Flemings line, and that's fine by me. I think there's a enough room for everybody writing what they enjoy most about Bond adventures. :(

Thanks. :tup:

I wouldn't necessarily say that the story has gone in a completely different direction from where it's started, but I liked the idea of trying to link it back to YOLT considering the relatively short distance between Vladivostok and Japan. Hopefully the link to that novel works because I'm also considering another idea that stems from that link that may or may not work, so we'll see how that goes, but it won't affect the storyline presented in the plot summary at all.

One thing that I definitely know at this stage is that the title is going to have to change. I wasn't sure about it when I posted the thread, but I needed a title for a thread and this story is was always conceived from the beginning as capping off the character arc for Bond that had begun with OHMSS, or in other words the character arc was at the end of the line. I definitely need to find a more Flemingesque title for the story, and hopefully one will present itself during the writing of the story.

#11 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 05:14 AM

Added a discussion link for you / New addition available now.

#12 ImTheMoneypenny

ImTheMoneypenny

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1352 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 07:20 PM

I wouldn't necessarily say that the story has gone in a completely different direction from where it's started, but I liked the idea of trying to link it back to YOLT considering the relatively short distance between Vladivostok and Japan. Hopefully the link to that novel works because I'm also considering another idea that stems from that link that may or may not work, so we'll see how that goes, but it won't affect the storyline presented in the plot summary at all.

One thing that I definitely know at this stage is that the title is going to have to change. I wasn't sure about it when I posted the thread, but I needed a title for a thread and this story is was always conceived from the beginning as capping off the character arc for Bond that had begun with OHMSS, or in other words the character arc was at the end of the line. I definitely need to find a more Flemingesque title for the story, and hopefully one will present itself during the writing of the story.

Read your new bits. Nice! Good follow up on tying up those bits leftover from TMWTGG and that little touch of YOLT as a link.

I'm having trouble with my title. I had wanted to call mine Revenge Me Not, as in the flowers Forget-Me-Nots, but because i changed my plot and time shifted back, it no longer works. Back to the drawing board!

I try to keep to a skeleton, my stories turn off the course and back on again, but they usually end exactly as I planned unless I come up with something much better when the time gets near.

#13 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 04:04 AM

I figured you were keeping strictly with the Flemings line, and that's fine by me. I think there's a enough room for everybody writing what they enjoy most about Bond adventures. :)

Read your new bits. Nice! Good follow up on tying up those bits leftover from TMWTGG and that little touch of YOLT as a link.

I'm having trouble with my title. I had wanted to call mine Revenge Me Not, as in the flowers Forget-Me-Nots, but because i changed my plot and time shifted back, it no longer works. Back to the drawing board!

I try to keep to a skeleton, my stories turn off the course and back on again, but they usually end exactly as I planned unless I come up with something much better when the time gets near.

Thanks. :(

The third chapter is almost ready. Hopefully I'll have it up sometime tomorrow.

EDIT: I've finished the third chapter. I've broken it up into two chapters for the sake of posting it in the story section. Once the first half is added to the story then I'll go ahead and add the second part of it.

#14 ImTheMoneypenny

ImTheMoneypenny

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1352 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 02:01 PM

I figured you were keeping strictly with the Flemings line, and that's fine by me. I think there's a enough room for everybody writing what they enjoy most about Bond adventures. :D

Thanks. :)

EDIT: I've finished the third chapter. I've broken it up into two chapters for the sake of posting it in the story section. Once the first half is added to the story then I'll go ahead and add the second part of it.

I look forward to it! Can't wait! :tup:

#15 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 08:34 PM

I figured you were keeping strictly with the Flemings line, and that's fine by me. I think there's a enough room for everybody writing what they enjoy most about Bond adventures. :D

Thanks. :)

I look forward to it! Can't wait! :tup:

I'm currently working on a larger amount of the story to upload all at one time rather than doing a chapter here and a chapter there. I hope to have it up sometime within a few days of Chapter 3 being added to the story thread.

#16 ImTheMoneypenny

ImTheMoneypenny

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1352 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 08:44 PM

Smart move. That way you're ahead! :tup:

#17 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 01:42 AM

Smart move. That way you're ahead! :tup:

I've added a very short fourth chapter to the story which sets up a great deal of plotlines that will run into the main body of the story. It's gotten much more complex than I thought it would be, and it'll be interesting to see where the story goes from here.

#18 ImTheMoneypenny

ImTheMoneypenny

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1352 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 02:42 PM

Sounds good! I look forward to see where it'll go. I think it's fun when a story gets more complex and you end up finding all these angles you didn't think up at first, makes for very good adventure! Take your time, it'll be well worth the wait. :tup:

#19 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 06:36 PM

I don't really know how the whole fanfiction thing works on this site, so if I'm going about this wrong, then I apologize in advance.

Anyway, after a discussion in one of the forums here about possible storylines for a true follow-up to Fleming's THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN GUN, I had an idea for a possible story of how Bond might go out for revenge against those who brainwashed him at the beginning of Fleming's TMWTGG story. The main purpose of the fan fiction would be to celebrate Fleming's centenary (although, unfortunately, a bit late).

I have a plot summary and characters ready and a very good idea about where I'm going with the story. I have a small amount completed now, and planned to, if it's permissible, to write it in a serialized fashion.

TITLE: End of the Line (working title)
SETTING: London, Tokyo, Moscow, Vladivostok, Kiyev
TIME: December 1965--March 1966

CHARACTERS:
James Bond
Audrey Belmont (an employee of MI6/Universal Exports)
Helena Vesna (a Russian woman whom Bond meets in Vladivostok)
Vladimir Petrova (a small-time criminal in the mob)
Roscoe (one of Petrova's associates)
M
Moneypenny
Tiger Tanaka

PLOT SUMMARY:
James Bond arrives back in London from his ordeal with Scaramanga in Jamaica. Despite having taken care of the world's most renowned assassin, Bond's relationship with M and MI6 is still very much in doubt because of his attempt on M's life due to being brainwashed at the hands of an unknown group of criminals in Vladivostok, Russia. Intelligence gathered by MI6 operatives in Russia point to a man named Vladimir Petrova, a small-time criminal looking for a way to make it to the big time in organized crime within Russia. As Bond begins his investigation into Petrova, he meets Helena Vesna, a woman who went through a similar brainwashing ordeal that destroyed her life. She teams up with Bond, and the two look into the small-time organization that Petrova runs with the help of a man named Roscoe. As they investigate, they learn that Petrova's criminal activities are just a small part of a much larger scheme that takes Bond from Vladivostok to Moscow and eventually to Kiyev, Ukraine.

Sounds fantastic. Where will you serialise it, here on CBN? Or in an actual book/mag form?

It's being posted a chapter at a time in the "Fan Fiction Posting" forum. :tup:

#20 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 06:47 PM

I like your writing style, tdalton. Not too simplistic, yet not too flowery. I'm really looking forward to further chapters. When do you think the next portion will be up?

#21 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 09:55 PM

I like your writing style, tdalton. Not too simplistic, yet not too flowery. I'm really looking forward to further chapters. When do you think the next portion will be up?

I have two chapters that have been submitted for moderation (chapters 3 & 4), and the next update to it will hopefully contain at least three chapters, and I hope to have those done and submitted before the end of the weekend.

#22 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 01:46 AM

Update:

Almost finished with another chapter (chapter 5) that will be added hopefully soon.

#23 ImTheMoneypenny

ImTheMoneypenny

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1352 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 01:47 PM

Update:

Almost finished with another chapter (chapter 5) that will be added hopefully soon.

Great! I look forward to it! :tup:

#24 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 08:54 PM

New additions up now.

Sorry for the untimely delay. Was having a few unrelated issues in approving these.

#25 ImTheMoneypenny

ImTheMoneypenny

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1352 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 11:09 PM

Just read the new stuff! It was just getting good too. . .

Spoiler

#26 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 07:48 AM

New additions up now.

Sorry for the untimely delay. Was having a few unrelated issues in approving these.

No problem. I was actually getting behind on working on it anyway, so it worked out great. :tup:

Just read the new stuff! It was just getting good too. . .

Spoiler

Will hopefully finish another chapter or two and have it ready to upload sometime tomorrow.

#27 ImTheMoneypenny

ImTheMoneypenny

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1352 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 09:11 AM

Great! I look forward to it. :tup:

#28 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 09:02 PM

I've submitted another, albeit very short, chapter. I think that, at this point, the "set-up" chapters are all done and the main body of the story will be able to commence from here on out. I'm still thinking about a couple of ideas about what to do with a couple of the characters and trying to make a decision about a couple of other characters that I would like to add, but, for now, I think that the set-up to everything is complete.

#29 ImTheMoneypenny

ImTheMoneypenny

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1352 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 09:18 PM

I've submitted another, albeit very short, chapter. I think that, at this point, the "set-up" chapters are all done and the main body of the story will be able to commence from here on out. I'm still thinking about a couple of ideas about what to do with a couple of the characters and trying to make a decision about a couple of other characters that I would like to add, but, for now, I think that the set-up to everything is complete.

Cool. My chapters have been pretty short. For me, my chapters seem to find their ends depending on the feel, it can be really long or pretty short. Sounds like everything for your adventure is rolling along nicely. :tup:

It has a nice vintage tone to it. With a nice slow burn. I'm enjoying it a great deal.

#30 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 04:00 AM

New addition up now!