John Barry - Top Scorer

8 replies to this topic

#1 Vargas

Vargas

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 26 posts

Posted 21 September 2001 - 01:20 PM

John Barry's contribution goes without saying - in fact, contribution seems too small a word for what his talent has given the world of James Bond.

The Bond music plays a big part in my collection and has done for many years and Barry's imput makes him the obvious favourite. Still gets the hairs at the back of the neck going when I hear 'Bond Under Disco Volante' or 'Bond Smells A Rat' or the 'OHMSS' theme.
His non-Bond material, especially of the 60s is awsome.
But with Bond he is supreme.
I love the layered pieces like 'Space March' of YOLT where there is a build up of melodies layered up on top of each other.This type of arrangement so typifies Barry and Bond.
The Brass sections in Goldfinger are pure excellence and scream BOND.
YOLT has such haunting melodies.

The little themes he gave some characters adds so much also - the chimes heard with Oddjob; Wint & Kidd's tune;
As much as I like the 'non-Barry scores' as it were, I've always had this 'what if' in the back of my mind when I see LALD or TSWLM or whatever. Would Jaws have been given a similar theme? And imagine what he could have given Columbo in FYEO. And TeeHee. Sit and wonder.

If I had to choose, today's Barry favourite score of mine is OHMSS - his approach is different to the previous scores as more romance is added for the love themes and is pitted against the driving force of the main theme of danger and duty.

#2 White Persian

White Persian

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 16 October 2001 - 03:55 AM

Couldn't agree with you more, Vargas.
the first Bond film I saw was OHMSS. The score knocked my socks off and it was in my hot little hand within half an hour of leaving the theatre - the first soundtrack LP I owned.
I wore it out!
I've indulged in the "what if..." speculation, too, and I've always thought John Barry's score for "The Deep", with its Jamaican/voodoo/underwater motifs is perhaps a clue to what he might have done with LALD.
By the same token, "The Specıalıst" is a bit of an ersatz LTK score.

#3 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 17 October 2001 - 03:11 PM

Oooops!

#4 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 17 October 2001 - 03:11 PM

Guys, what's your take on the whole Barry v Norman deal when it comes to who actually composed the Bond theme.

We know that Norman won out in the courts (McClory must be envious :)), and I have no doubt that Norman composed the piece.

But, I also have no doubt that it is Barry's input as arranger of the theme that made it so distinctive and popular.

In fact, if you are able to listen to a John Barry Seven piece called "Bees Knees" you would swear that the basis of the Bond Theme can be found in that.
It's all to do with the arranging, not necessarily the composition.

What's your take on it all?

#5 level007

level007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 723 posts

Posted 17 October 2001 - 05:06 PM

For me
the john Barry is the man behind the james bond theme. May be Norman compose the first glimpse of it, but like producers said, it was not good. So for me it s john barry that made it so famous. You just have to listen to the score of Dr No (Norman) and the one from FRWL (barry) to understand that Barry is behind the success of the JB theme.

#6 Donovan

Donovan

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 26 July 2002 - 02:31 PM

As I understand this situation, Monty Norman is directly responsible for the very beginning part of the Bond theme. In most of the Bond films, this part is heard as Bond is walking in the opening gun barrel. I had read an article somewhere that said Barry is responsible for the distinct guitar part of the song. I am content to think of it as a collaboration.

-Joe

#7 rafterman

rafterman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1963 posts

Posted 26 July 2002 - 03:19 PM

I think Norman had the idea, but Barry made it work....so they should both get the credit for it, without either of them, it wouldn't be the same....

#8 Dunph

Dunph

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3826 posts

Posted 26 July 2002 - 11:29 PM

I agree, a collab. is where I stand too. Ask me this question a few moths ago, however, and I would have told you that it was John Barry all the way, but after recently reading a VERY specific account of the hearing involving Barry and Norman that famously took place a few years ago, I now agree with most here and believe it was a collaboration. If anyone wants a link to that account of the trial, post your request on here and i'll try and fish it out for you! :)

By the way, nice sig, rafterman! It's a perfect fit on you! :)

#9 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts

Posted 27 July 2002 - 12:55 AM

Originally posted by Donovan
I had read an article somewhere that said Barry is responsible for the distinct guitar part of the song. I am content to think of it as a collaboration.

I read that it was due to Barry that Vic Flick got involved in the recording of the theme. Norman, being a show tunesman, would've had no clue that Flick even existed, let along use his guitar skills.