John Barry in The Living Daylights

13 replies to this topic

#1 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 16 September 2001 - 11:20 AM

I CAN'T BELIEVE THAT 'TIL NOW NO ONE HAS ANYTHING TO POST ABOUT THE MAN WHO GAVE BOND A MUSICAL SOUL.

Anyway, I've just watched TLD again (for the umpteenth time), and suddenly discovered that John Barry is in the movie.
He is the conductor of the orchestra playing in the concert hall at the end of the movie.
It's only taken me about 15 years to notice it!
Did anyone else notice?

#2 freemo

freemo

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 2995 posts

Posted 16 September 2001 - 12:22 PM

I didn't realise until someone else told me, its a pretty cool little cameo by the great man there I reakon.

#3 White Persian

White Persian

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 16 October 2001 - 03:48 AM

Yep, I spotted the great man's appearance, Blofeld's Cat. I nice touch in his Bond swansong.
Incidentally, though he's been a bit neglected recently, there has been discussion of John Barry previously. If you readjust the little window to show posts from beyond the past 60 days, you'll find the topics.
You're clearly a Barry fan, Mr Cat, what are your favourite Barry/Bond scores?

#4 PaulZ108

PaulZ108

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1569 posts

Posted 06 December 2001 - 03:55 AM

The Living Daylights has a wonderful score too. My favorite is also OHMSS, the synthesizers and all go perfect with the film and the theme is the most powerful and coolest Bond theme to date for me. (The whole moving effect of the theme with no lyrics sort of brings out the theme from the beginning that it wasn't going to be another "save the world and get the girl" romp, that this one was epic and serious)

#5 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 17 October 2001 - 02:57 PM

WP, I am definitely a John Barry fan.
My favourite Barry/Bond is, without a doubt, OHMSS.
My favourite Barry is Robin And Marian, which starred Connery and Audrey Hepburn portraying middle-aged Robin Hood and Maid Marian.
It's my favourite because it is very rare, and was last valued at US$400!
In fact this record got me started at collecting soundtrack albums. At last count I had 332 LPs, and 276 CDs.
Before coming to Indonesia 5 years ago I put my belongings into storage, but was made to insure the collection.
After inspection by an accredited valuator, I had to insure them all for AUD$19,400!
Unfortunately, since moving, I have dropped out of the collecting scene some what.
But I try to keep abreast of things on the net.

#6 Friedrich Baxter

Friedrich Baxter

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 426 posts

Posted 06 November 2001 - 08:55 AM

I really like John Barry's Bond themes. Espeically the other oo7 theme, which you can for instance hear during the boat chase on the Amazoco in 'Moonraker'. What happened with this theme! If David Arnold again the composer in Bond 20, then he should seriously consider to restyle this 007-theme again. What do you think?

#7 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts

Posted 06 November 2001 - 09:32 AM

Friedrich Baxter (06 Nov, 2001 08:55 a.m.):
I really like John Barry's Bond themes. Espeically the other oo7 theme, which you can for instance hear during the boat chase on the Amazoco in 'Moonraker'. What happened with this theme! If David Arnold again the composer in Bond 20, then he should seriously consider to restyle this 007-theme again. What do you think?

Friedrich, welcome to the CommanderBond Forums.

I agree that the 007 theme should be used more often, but I think that the likes of David Arnold would rather concentrate on their own compositions, other than "The James Bond Theme" of course, which is the series theme tune and is a given.

John Barry wrote "007" as an alternative to the JB Theme, which he didn't write. So there is a precedent for Arnold to compose his own James Bond theme. Although, I can't say I've detected one that is common in the last two movies.

#8 White Persian

White Persian

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 20 November 2001 - 01:21 AM

If Arnold *did* want to have a "Bond" theme of his own, I think White Knight from TND might be a fine basis for it.

On a different note(!), my dear wife bought me the Enigma soundtrack the other day and I can highly recommend it to Barry buffs.

#9 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 18 October 2001 - 11:50 AM

LP collections :) Wow! Bond ones seem to be always on Ebay! I never really considered buying any of them. I guess I might sometime. Just for fun :) Depends on the sleeve really I guess!

#10 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts

Posted 24 November 2001 - 02:08 PM

White Persian (20 Nov, 2001 01:21 a.m.):
On a different note(!), my dear wife bought me the Enigma soundtrack the other day and I can highly recommend it to Barry buffs.

Based on your recommendation WP, I gotta buy it now.:)

#11 White Persian

White Persian

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 26 October 2001 - 12:36 PM

[quote]blofelds_cat (17 Oct, 2001 03:57 p.m.):
My favourite Barry/Bond is, without a doubt, OHMSS.
My favourite Barry is Robin And Marian.

We seem to be of similar tastes, Blofeld's Cat. OHMSS was the first soundtrack I ever bought (I raced home from seeing the movie- my first Bond- and tore back up to the shops to by the L.P.) Wore out two copies before getting it on CD.
My copy of Robin and Marian seems to be a bootleg L.P. It has a pale green sleeve with black and white art. It's a quite beautiful score, though, of one of Connery's finest films.
Somewhere In Time would have to be well up among Barry's best as well.

#12 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts

Posted 26 October 2001 - 01:43 PM

White Persian (26 Oct, 2001 01:36 p.m.):
My copy of Robin and Marian seems to be a bootleg L.P. It has a pale green sleeve with black and white art. It's a quite beautiful score, though, of one of Connery's finest films.

That's the one! I think there were only 1000 copies made of this, and there has NEVER been an official recording other than a suite that appeared on Silva Screen's "Classic John Barry" compilation CD.
Utter sacrilege!!

Somewhere In Time would have to be well up among Barry's best as well.

This is quite good too. Barry has stated that of all his scores, "he has received more letters of appreciation concerning SIT than any other of his scores." WOW!

WP, you are obviously a fan of Mr. Prendergast (John's actual last name for those who didn't know!), and you may already know this but I got the above quote from Play It Again, a record company that published a 300 page book called "John Barry: A Life In Music". The site has a 29 page synopsis of the book! Incredible.

I only leant of its existence the other day (I posted a thread looking for anyone who knew about it), and it was going for US$98.00 on Amazon! According to the site, the book will be updated and re-released during 2002.

Do yourself a favour and check it out.

#13 Icephoenix

Icephoenix

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3144 posts

Posted 24 November 2001 - 03:52 PM

Blofeld's Cat (24 Nov, 2001 02:08 p.m.):

White Persian (20 Nov, 2001 01:21 a.m.):

Based on your recommendation WP, I gotta buy it now.:)

He should be a Door Salesman!

#14 White Persian

White Persian

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 26 November 2001 - 10:02 PM

Yeah, anybody wanna buy a door?