11 replies to this topic

#1 mrmoon

mrmoon

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 21 March 2001 - 08:44 PM

Other than the obvious I was just wondering which other composers you thought helped develop the bond sound.

My personal favourite score is TSWLM by Marvin Hamlisch especially 'Bond 77' (over the ski chase sequence) and 'Ride to Atlantis'. My second favourite is LALD by George Martin. It's so funky but I suppose you have to be into that 70's style to like it. Both of these scores in my opinion are great achievements in their own right as they provided a break from the norm (nothing wrong with the norm however,i love john barry) which worked exceptionally well.

#2 Digitarius

Digitarius

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 136 posts

Posted 25 May 2001 - 02:43 PM

The scores to Moore's films were generally too jazzy and seventies for my liking, but as White Persian said about it lacking urgency, it just fits the film because they were characterised by light entertainment rather than heart-stopping action.

#3 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 21 May 2001 - 11:17 PM

White Persian (21 May, 2001 10:00 p.m.):
After Eric Serra's accutely disappointing score for GoldenEye, I couldn't believe how absolutely on target David Arnold's T.N.D. score was. The best Bond soundtrack since O.H.M.S.S! I'm a huge John Barry admirer and still like his later Bond scores very much (especially "The Living Daylights") but the scores for the Moore films lacked the urgency that I associate with Bond, and which Barry established with his Bond theme arrangement and the 007 theme in F.R.W.L.
Of the other non-Barry Bond scores, "Live And Let Die" has some good stuff in it (though I don't really like the Theme Song much) and, yes, Marvin Hamlisch's Bond77 ski chase music was fine. Neither were a patch on Arnold, though.

Hey White Persian, great to have you along! Thanks for joining and I hope you enjoy the site! Oh and great comment in your personal info as well :)

You know. I think you perfectly summed up my feelings. Eric Serra's score was a good one, but it wasn't Bond is what I feel though but you don't touch on that.

Arnold came along from nowhere and brought in this huge Bond score that was very Barry and very Bond! Big brassy brilliant!

Well enjoy your stay and see you around :)

#4 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 21 March 2001 - 09:32 PM

I love the TND songs. I got the albumn via Napster. I'm gradually getting all the theme tunes for all the films!

#5 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 22 March 2001 - 04:31 AM

I loved Marvin Hamlisch's work on TSWLM. David Arnold is brilliant, he has a great style for Bond. And of course John Barry. I find Arnold is very Barry - but like a modified version. Like Windows 95 and 98. They're basically the same but there's just that underlying difference!! :)

#6 mrmoon

mrmoon

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 22 March 2001 - 08:53 PM

I agree with you Blue Eyes. Watching various interviews with David Arnold I know exactly where he's coming from. His perception is identical to mine and he really does know exactly what he's doing.

#7 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 12 February 2002 - 07:14 PM

Dave (21 Mar, 2001 09:32 p.m.):
I love the TND songs. I got the albumn via Napster. I'm gradually getting all the theme tunes for all the films!

I'm doing this aswell. I'm trying to get my favourite cues from the scores.
One that has been frustratingly difficult to get hold of is "This Never Happened to the Other Feller" from OHMSS. If anyone has this and would be willing to send it to me, please reply here or e-mail me.
I will be happy to send you a track in return.
Many thanks all

#8 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 22 March 2001 - 10:08 PM

David Arnold rules!

#9 mrmoon

mrmoon

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 27 March 2001 - 09:42 PM

Blue eyes and Dave you probably know this already but for any browsers. David Arnold used to go to school with Colin Salmon AKA Robinson

#10 Digitarius

Digitarius

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 136 posts

Posted 19 May 2001 - 01:35 PM

The best theme tune was definitely OHMSS.

#11 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 20 May 2001 - 04:02 AM

I'm still trying to get OHMSS from Napster but it's sooooooo long!!

#12 White Persian

White Persian

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 21 May 2001 - 10:00 PM

After Eric Serra's accutely disappointing score for GoldenEye, I couldn't believe how absolutely on target David Arnold's T.N.D. score was. The best Bond soundtrack since O.H.M.S.S! I'm a huge John Barry admirer and still like his later Bond scores very much (especially "The Living Daylights") but the scores for the Moore films lacked the urgency that I associate with Bond, and which Barry established with his Bond theme arrangement and the 007 theme in F.R.W.L.
Of the other non-Barry Bond scores, "Live And Let Die" has some good stuff in it (though I don't really like the Theme Song much) and, yes, Marvin Hamlisch's Bond77 ski chase music was fine. Neither were a patch on Arnold, though.