This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

I got to hold Devil May care the other day.

14 replies to this topic

#1 Quantumofsolace007

Quantumofsolace007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3488 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 02:58 PM

I got to hold and look at it briefly the other day I work at a grocery store and asked the GM manger if we were selling it he came back an hour later book in hand asking me if this is what i meant. I didn't read it (i was checking out customers) but i was able to briefly look at it. :tup:

#2 Single-O-Seven

Single-O-Seven

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1323 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 03:00 PM

I got to hold and look at it briefly the other day I work at a grocery store and asked the GM manger if we were selling it he came back an hour later book in hand asking me if this is what i meant. I didn't read it (i was checking out customers) but i was able to briefly look at it. :tup:

And you didn't run off with it? Surely it would have been worth losing your job and being charged with shoplifting. Better than waiting another two days!

#3 Quantumofsolace007

Quantumofsolace007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3488 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 03:03 PM

I should have lol.

#4 Scrambled Eggs

Scrambled Eggs

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 03:04 PM

I'm suprised noone has appeared on these forums saying that they've already read DMC. I used to work in a bookshop and, whilst I never nicked any books, it would be pretty easy to trouser a copy whilst in a storeroom or something.

#5 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 03:10 PM

Get a look at the chapter listing by any chance?

#6 Quantumofsolace007

Quantumofsolace007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3488 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 03:21 PM

the chapters are named. the back cover has this quote from (working off of memory) M "Bond it's good to see you back"

Honestly I'm going to qwork in few minutes i'll see if i can get ahold of it again and i'll tell you all more.

#7 SilencedPPK

SilencedPPK

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 474 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 06:27 PM

I work at Barnes & Noble and we have a few boxes in receiving and I wanted to open it up so badly. I asked one of my managers if I could open it to look at it, and she said no. I'm guessing this is a big deal. I think I might open it up and then retape it.

#8 Scrambled Eggs

Scrambled Eggs

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 06:38 PM

I work at Barnes & Noble and we have a few boxes in receiving and I wanted to open it up so badly. I asked one of my managers if I could open it to look at it, and she said no. I'm guessing this is a big deal. I think I might open it up and then retape it.

The boxes are bound to be opened before the 28th surely?

Won't they put them on shelves the night before? That'll be your chance mate. Pinch one when noone's looking then, after they go on sale, put your money in the till.
Its not stealing, its borrowing.

#9 ImTheMoneypenny

ImTheMoneypenny

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1352 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 06:42 PM

I went over to my local bookstore at our mall, judging by the looks of the place they couldn't care less DMC was coming out. They stopped stocking the Flemings as well to make room for more Murder She Wrote books on the shelf. :tup: I thought for sure when I reserved my copy the staff were going to have a good laugh. They had other books on display as well as listed as coming out the same week, but not a thing on DMC. I had to ask them if they were even going to sell it.

#10 SilencedPPK

SilencedPPK

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 474 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 06:42 PM

They either put the books on the shelves the night before or before the store opens on that morning. I think I might ask if I can check it out. Employees are able to check books out for about a week or two. That would work perfectly because I am going to Israel and Egypt, and it will kill some time on the plane. :tup:

#11 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 06:52 PM

I went over to my local bookstore at our mall, judging by the looks of the place they couldn't care less DMC was coming out. They stopped stocking the Flemings as well to make room for more Murder She Wrote books on the shelf. :tup: I thought for sure when I reserved my copy the staff were going to have a good laugh. They had other books on display as well as listed as coming out the same week, but not a thing on DMC. I had to ask them if they were even going to sell it.

Barnes & Noble and Borders in the United States are both betting pretty big on Devil May Care so if any of you definitely want a copy on May 28th to buy in-store, those are the two stores you should go to. Also, Border's system says it's being released on the 27th so you may be able to get it early there. Actually a lot of Border's stores if you check their online status will say that the book is "likely on the shelf" right now. (I went to mine and it wasn't, but the lady there said they had a ton of them)

#12 SilencedPPK

SilencedPPK

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 474 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 07:12 PM

At our Barnes & Noble store, we have about 50 copies in the store, and only two people (including myself) pre-ordered it. I hope it sells well. It always makes me really happy to see a Fleming book that was purchased, or another Bond book. Hopefully this will do well. I think it will be 30% off for the first two weeks, depending on sales. :tup:

#13 ImTheMoneypenny

ImTheMoneypenny

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1352 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 10:55 PM

Barnes & Noble and Borders in the United States are both betting pretty big on Devil May Care so if any of you definitely want a copy on May 28th to buy in-store, those are the two stores you should go to. Also, Border's system says it's being released on the 27th so you may be able to get it early there. Actually a lot of Border's stores if you check their online status will say that the book is "likely on the shelf" right now. (I went to mine and it wasn't, but the lady there said they had a ton of them)

Thanks for the low down on Borders. :( My town only has Books-A-Million and WaldenBooks. Though WaldensBooks seems to be affiliated with Borders, I have a borders card through them, they barely have advertised DMC. They've even chopped their Bond collection to nearly nil. BAM isn't much better either. It's the downside to living in a podunk town I guess. But I'm heading back Wednesday and scooping up my copy as soon as the store opens! My friend says he thinks I'm the only person in the county who'll buy it. :tup: I guess I have martini tastes in a beer town.

#14 SilencedPPK

SilencedPPK

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 474 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 05:50 AM

today I was able to check out DMC. I read the first two chapters on my lunch break, and I was very pleased with how it started out. :tup:

#15 Quantumofsolace007

Quantumofsolace007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3488 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 04:21 PM

I'm honestly unsure of when i will read it bought it today and i'm just finnishing up with Colonel Sun. We'll see one interestuing not looking at a few thing might DMC be combo of Fleming last non bond storry (the poppy one) and stuff from his notes. could this mean DMC could easily be bond 23?