#1 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 11:34 PM

[box]

Charlie Higson: Indiana Jones vs James Bond... the transatlantic tussle of the superheroes

On the day the new Spielberg film premieres in Cannes, our columnist inspects the archaeology of cinematic action and finds a cultural chasm

In May of 1977 two friends who were well on their way to becoming the most successful film makers in the world were sitting together on a beach in Hawaii.

One of the friends was George Lucas. It was the opening weekend of Star Wars, and he was trying to escape all the hoo-ha. The other was Steven Spielberg, who had already made Jaws and Close Encounters of the Third Kind. As usual, they talked about movies, movies they had seen, movies they had loved, movies they wanted to make. "You know what would be really cool, George," said Spielberg (and I'm paraphrasing here, you understand). "What would be really cool, Steven?" said Lucas. "To make a James Bond movie," said Spielberg. "A proper one, with Sean Connery."

Lucas agreed that this would indeed be really cool, but it was never going to happen, not in the way they wanted. Cubby Broccoli had a firm grip on Bond and wasn't about to let two young movie brats in on the act. But Lucas had a better idea. "Why not just make our own?" he said, and he went on to tell Spielberg about this idea for a movie he had had knocking around in his head. "It's not James Bond. It's set in the 1930s and it's about an archeologist. It's a modern James Bond film. You'll love it."

Spielberg did indeed love the idea, and thus Indiana Jones was born, out of all the favourite bits from the movies, TV shows and Tintin books that Lucas and Spielberg had loved as kids. It's all there in the films: rope bridges across ravines, pilot-less planes, evil Nazis, death rays, runaway mining cars, tanks, poison darts, snakes ....

It's interesting that Bond was their starting point, though, and there is still a lot of Bond in the finished product, like the "film within a film" pre-credits sequence. Lucas's original idea was for Jones to be even closer to the Bond blueprint. He had envisaged a suave, sophisticated playboy type in a sharp dinner suit. Spielberg wasn't interested in that. He specıalısed in down-home, straight-talking, tough-but-tender, all-American types. He pictured a character much closer to Humphrey Bogart in The African Queen. That neither of these incarnations bore any resemblance to any real-life archaeologist was neither here nor there. James Bond, after all, never bore any resemblance to a real-life spy.

But you can see Bond and Jones as examples of two very different types of hero. Bond is the American idea of a typical European. Well-dressed, well-mannered, elegantly unruffled, supercilious, a womaniser but ever so slightly gay. Jones is the American idea of an American. Practically dressed, no-nonsense, rugged, downbeat, put-upon, but a winner. It's telling that all the villains in Raiders of The Lost Ark are Europeans

#2 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 12:48 AM

Good article. He's so right. Indy really is rooted in the American psyche as Bond is to Britan.

One thing I've always found intriguing was the choice of outfit for Indy. A fedora and bullwhip? Not what comes to mind when one thinks of an archaeologist. But I believe his outfit is successful because it evokes a cowboy, twinging that American mythological cord. In fact, I remember when I first saw a pic of Harriosn Ford as Indy (on the cover of Rolling Stone), I thought the movie was a western. Even the title -- "Raiders" -- sounded like a western. I don't remember now, but I may have even thought it was a Western right up to the moment the film began.

I also think the ripped shirt look of Temple of Doom evokes American pulp -- Doc Savage in particular.

#3 dodge

dodge

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5068 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 12:58 AM

Good article. He's so right. Indy really is rooted in the American psyche as Bond is to Britan.

One thing I've always found intriguing was the choice of outfit for Indy. A fedora and bullwhip? Not what comes to mind when one thinks of an archaeologist. But I believe his outfit is successful because it evokes a cowboy, twinging that American mythological cord. In fact, I remember when I first saw a pic of Harriosn Ford as Indy (on the cover of Rolling Stone), I thought the movie was a western. Even the title -- "Raiders" -- sounded like a western. I don't remember now, but I may have even thought it was a Western right up to the moment the film began.

I also think the ripped shirt look of Temple of Doom evokes American pulp -- Doc Savage in particular.

Precisely--as in Riders of the Purple Sage. Bullwhip, as in Lash LaRue. HF as a New Age John Wayne. Now let's ride 'em, Crystal Skull!

#4 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 02:03 AM

Interesting article, but Spielberg didn't make Indy the Rough Rider he's known as now; that was all inspired by Lucas' boyhood love of serials, which inevitably led him to dream up the project during film school, around the time he began thinking of making his "2001 meets James Bond" movie, which eventually became Star Wars. After that film was made, Lucas had decided to try to develop Indiana Jones a bit further, even sitting down with noted screenwriter Philip Kaufmann to bang out a story -- all long before his May 1977 trip to Hawaii; his little soiree with Spielberg was simply to secure the financial backing. :tup:

#5 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 02:14 AM

Interesting! "Western" was not the first that came to my mind about the whip, but I think the whip is successful because it's a non-lethal weapon. I mean, to run about in the jungle, for instance, he could have chosen a machette rather than a whip. But a machette might be too aggressive as a signature outfit, and it's less multi-purpose than a whip (as the journalist wittily describes it). I think this non-lethal, yet useful and effective character of the bullwhip seduces me.

About Indy's outfit, hasn't he a beggar's bag too? I really thought it was part of his standard equipment.

#6 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 02:27 AM

The bullwhip idea was rather obviously nicked from 'Zorro's Fighting Legion'. As was the stunt where Indy goes under the truck.

#7 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 09:22 AM

A very entertaining, informative read.

#8 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 12:32 PM

The bullwhip idea was rather obviously nicked from 'Zorro's Fighting Legion'. As was the stunt where Indy goes under the truck.

Zorro just generally has a whip, doesn't he? I think there's a good chance that they got it from him. His hat isn't even that dissimilar! :tup:

#9 Skudor

Skudor

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9286 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 01:00 PM

Nice little piece from Mr Higson. I didn't realise Starwars was James Bond in space...