Wood's First Editions

14 replies to this topic

#1 bpetta1

bpetta1

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 40 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 04:24 AM

As some of you know, I've just begun my time and money consuming quest to get all of the Bond books in first edition (though not always first impression) hardbacks, both UK and US.

I was wondering whether Woods' novelizations (and the Gardner/Benson novelizations, for that matter) even have US 1st edition hardcovers? Can anyone help me on this?

Also, how much would be a reasonable price to pay for a 1st of JB,TSWLM or JB&MR? I've seen them from $150-$1000?

Thanks, any help on tracking down any of these would be appreciated,
bpetta1

#2 FLEMINGFAN

FLEMINGFAN

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 05:28 AM

The Woods were only available in hardcover in the UK and SPY (with an un-clipped DJ) is the most expensive going for about US$400.00 or more. The MOONRAKER can be had for about half that, but they are both creeping up there.

All the Gardners and Bensons (and the Pearson 007 Biography) had US hardcover first editions and are, still, fairly easy and reasonably priced to obtain.

All of them usually pop up on E-bay at any given time.

Hope that helps.

#3 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 06:33 AM

All the Gardners and Bensons (and the Pearson 007 Biography) had US hardcover first editions and are, still, fairly easy and reasonably priced to obtain.

They are very easy to get. I wasn't even trying to get first editions when I acquired mine. All mint (or close to) and I really didn't pay that much. I probably paid under 100 for all of them. I'm missing a couple Gardner's though, specifically Licence Renewed which I had in paperback so didn't bother trying to acquire the hardcover. I should really go back and get the rest.

#4 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 10:36 AM

The only note of caution I would add on Wood's Spy is the ability to get a copy in anything like presentable condition at a reasonable price. I understand that the vast majority went to UK libraries and consequently come with library markings and usual rough and tumble use library books seem to suffer. If you don't mind the condition or the markings, it is feasible to obtain a copy at a fair price. However, due to the overall scarcity, obtaining a non-library copy in good condition is quite hard without shelling of

#5 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 10:50 AM

Yes, I've got a library Spy; only cost a couple of quid.

#6 ACE

ACE

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4543 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 11:09 AM

Firstly, let me direct your attention to the finest (book)shop in the world:

http://www.harringtonbooks.co.uk/
I urge you to visit this place when in London. It is a completely unstuffy, friendly but gorgeous enviroment. Ask for their resident expert and enthusiast, Mr Jon Gilbert, and he will give you Savile Row service.

Or, I suggest, the equally superb Mr James Pickard* of GoldenEye Books

http://www.goldeneyebooks.com/

The UK hardcover books trump the paperbacks by their rather beautiful Bill Botten dust-jacket paintings. Of course, both are graced by the excellent Christopher Wood writing (I urge Fleming fans to read these books).

The price varies but James Bond, The Spy Who Loved Me (JBSWLM) was predominantly ex-library (although, while at the shop just yesterday, they have three mint JBSWLM's in). I think their website is a good guide.

James Bond And Moonraker is easier to come by. Again, look at the website for price guides.

Variations include signatures (they had copies signed by Richard Kiel, Bill Botten and Christopher Wood - BTW, read his non-Bond recent books, they're very funny) and frontispiece paintings by Bill Botten - those push these books to the

#7 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 05:26 PM

I can only imagine what the print runs were on these two UK first editions. Besides R.D. Mascott's [book=29]003

#8 bpetta1

bpetta1

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 40 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 06:13 PM

I read somewhere that the First UK of Goldeneye was really rare, then I looked on eBay and even the BCA editions were selling for upwards of $100. Can anyone shed any light on this?

#9 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 07:29 PM

I read somewhere that the First UK of Goldeneye was really rare, then I looked on eBay and even the BCA editions were selling for upwards of $100. Can anyone shed any light on this?

The Book Club edition for Goldeneye is a special case in that many believe it actually preceded the UK Hodder & Stoughton hardback (noting that the BCA was released in 1995, while the Hodder edition came out in 1996).

As a result of that, some Bond fans and eBay sellers say that the BCA edition is actually the "true" 1st edition of Goldeneye.

I've found that one can get a mint BCA edition of Goldeneye between $60 - $80 (although it is often listed for a bit higher).

The Hodder 1st is, in my opinion, more expensive to come by. I often see that one listed for $110 - $140.

Check out this page: http://www.goldeneye...ibliography.htm

Hope that helps a bit.

#10 FLEMINGFAN

FLEMINGFAN

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 07:41 PM

In regards to any of the movie tie-ins, they all tend to be a bit pricey. From LICENCE TO KILL and beyond, the hardcover copies of those had very small runs.

In fact, there are five hardcover versions of LICENCE TO KILL. Only the Charter version is the most approachable, which is really a hardcover version of the paperback. The other four were released by the Mysterious Bookshop.

Naturally, I am referring only to English language versions.

ABE Books is another source for these, as well.

Now if you want to get into the foreign versions...............

#11 bpetta1

bpetta1

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 40 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 10:00 PM

So, all of the novelizations (except for Woods') have UK and US hardback 1st editions? I've seen some of the UK ones floating around but I haven't, to my knowledge, seen any US versions. Do they have the same cover-art as the UK editions? Who are their publishers?

#12 bpetta1

bpetta1

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 40 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 10:18 PM

Is there any sites that list information and pictures of the US Editions of all the books? Goldeneyebooks.com only has the UK editions, and The Bond Market has UK and US info on just the Flemings.

#13 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 02:05 AM

So, all of the novelizations (except for Woods') have UK and US hardback 1st editions? I've seen some of the UK ones floating around but I haven't, to my knowledge, seen any US versions. Do they have the same cover-art as the UK editions? Who are their publishers?

The novelizations:

James Bond, The Spy Who Loved Me
James Bond and Moonraker
Licence to Kill - Publication history on CBn
Goldeneye - Publication history on CBn
Tomorrow Never Dies - Publication history on CBn
The World is not Enough - Publication history on CBn
Die Another Day - Publication history on CBn

There were no US 1st hardback printings for any of the novelizations except in the case of the limited Licence to Kill editions.

#14 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 02:42 AM

[quote name='ACE' post='870634' date='15 May 2008 - 04:09']Variations include signatures (they had copies signed by Richard Kiel, Bill Botten and Christopher Wood - BTW, read his non-Bond recent books, they're very funny) and frontispiece paintings by Bill Botten - those push these books to the

#15 jochemgr

jochemgr

Recruit

• Crew
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 01:48 AM

What size are the Wood first editions? Are they the same size as the Fleming books or the slightly larger size of the early Gardner Cape editions?