The MI6 (SIS) office staff

25 replies to this topic

#1 Havelock

Havelock

Cadet

• Crew
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 September 2002 - 08:23 PM

It seems that the replacement for Pierce as James Bond is being well discussed, but what about the other regulars at MI6?
M - At the moment she is played by Dame Judi Dench. No disrespect to her, she's a great actress but she isn't getting any younger.
British TV actress Zoe Wanamaker? would be an ideal replacement as a younger Barbara Mawdsley. She has the looks and acting abilities of Dame Judi.
She currently appears on the BBC1 comedy My Family as Susan.

Moneypenny - Samantha Bond. In my opinion she has a few more years left in her. Especially when compared to the menopausal age of Lois Maxwell by For Your Eyes Only in 1981!

Q - John Cleese. A new Q, however he also isn't young so can't be considered a long term casting. I would recommend the British comic Steve Coogan. He is relatively young (in his thirties!), funny and has paid homage to Bond in his Alan Partridge TV character with Roger Moore interviews and pictures!

#2 Carver

Carver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1470 posts

Posted 13 September 2002 - 08:34 PM

Zoe Wanamaker may be a great actress, but has she ever done serious acting? And Sam, Bond, yes, the modern MoenyPenny, definately a few more year left. John Cleese as Q should stay on for at least 5 more films, but Steve Coogan? You've got to be jokin! Q is a 'father figure' to Bond, and always wil be played by an older man. Coogan, be fair, is quite funny, but not the man to play Q, sorry:(

#3 Peter

Peter

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 445 posts

Posted 13 September 2002 - 11:18 PM

Hey, they have hit the jackpot with Judi Dench, there's no way they're firing her. A multiple nominee/Oscar winner brings considerable prestige to a widely regarded "light" series. I would say she's only in her 50s, anyway.

As for Samantha Bond's Moneypenny, I don't really care if she goes. I just haven't warmed up to her.

What about Tanner. I thought that character was supposed to be Bond's best friend in the office. The current actor is like some balding, pot-bellied suburban dad (sorry mr. actor!). Shouldn't he be a little more appealing like Bond?

#4 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 14 September 2002 - 02:20 AM

I certainly hope Michael Kitchen(er?) keeps on with his Tanner job. Best one yet, though I did find the For Your Eyes Only Tanner...amusing.

If only Bond was a tv show, then we'd have some interesting regulars in a 'normal' setting (as opposed to hollowed-out volcanoes).

#5 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 14 September 2002 - 03:53 AM

Well, Sam Bond has stated before that she'll leave when Brosnan does, so its not too early to be thinking of replacements for her.

Judi Dench, not sure what her plans are, but I think she should stay until she can no longer act anymore, its not like its a terribly deep role, and she only has to come by and work for at most, a few weeks.

John Cleese- Well, he's in his sixties right now. I'd say he has at least 20 years left, thats if he wants to stay with the series (because the role doesnt exactly require a lot of time, I doubt he'll leave the role).

#6 Havelock

Havelock

Cadet

• Crew
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 September 2002 - 09:10 AM

Dame Judi Dench is an excellent actress I know, I don't dispute that, but she is getting older like all of us.
If EON/MGM wish to persist with a female M then we have to discuss replacements now. Any ideas? I have put forward Zoe Wanamaker, a sensible choice in my opinion.

Steve Coogan would be an excellent Q. Cleese is ok for a few films but not 20 years!

James Villiers was the snooty Bill Tanner in For Your Eyes Only. Michael Kitchen is an excellent actor as Tanner. It is just a shame that he never seems to be available when the films are shooting and he is required, hence the elevation of Charles Robinson, who I do find annoying to become an analyst.

I know the whole Glidrose/Eon/heirs of Ian Lancaster Fleming thing has been discussed before but it is a shame that there can't be more input and co-operation between the literary Bond and the movies. It's all money I guess! Raymond Benson would have some excellent ideas for the films as he has already demonstrated in his novels.

:)

#7 brendan007

brendan007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1512 posts

Posted 14 September 2002 - 09:30 AM

Originally posted by Havelock
Dame Judi Dench is an excellent actress I know, I don't dispute that, but she is getting older like all of us.
If EON/MGM wish to persist with a female M then we have to discuss replacements now.  
:)

judi dench may be getting older, but shes not that old! considering she wants to, she could easily keep going for at least 10 more years, so i think looking for replacements is a little premature.
And why couldnt John Cleese go on for another 20 years. desmond lewellyn kept going into his eighties, so he could easily keep going on for a long time.

#8 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 14 September 2002 - 09:41 AM

I would never want to see actors under 50 playing either M or Q. It's just not right.

We've always had "oldish" (no disrespect) looking actors playing the characters. Bernard Lee is a fine example, he wasn't exactly in his 30's or anything.

Older and Wiser comes into my head.

This may not be the case with the real MI6 - but certainly for the Franchise, I couldn't watch a 29yr old Q. Would make me think I was watching, "James Bond Jr." or something :)

#9 Carver

Carver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1470 posts

Posted 14 September 2002 - 09:38 PM

Originally posted by Dave
I would never want to see actors under 50 playing either M or Q. It's just not right.

We've always had "oldish" (no disrespect) looking actors playing the characters. Bernard Lee is a fine example, he wasn't exactly in his 30's or anything.

Older and Wiser comes into my head.

This may not be the case with the real MI6 - but certainly for the Franchise, I couldn't watch a 29yr old Q. Would make me think I was watching, "James Bond Jr." or something :)

My thoughts exactly Dave:)

#10 HUNTER C.

HUNTER C.

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 15 September 2002 - 12:01 AM

I'm hoping they'll somehow come to an agreement with Samantha Bond to stay on as Moneypenny. Judi Dench also said she would be leaving after Bond 21 a while ago (I think ). I do not think her replacement should be another woman. If it is another woman.. definately no one made to look like a spin off of Judi's M. I'm hoping that at least a few of them stay on for future films. John Cleese, especially, I hope stays with Bond. I think he knew of the longevity of the role once he accepted it so I don't think there's a problem there. It'd be nice to continue AT LEAST seeing glimpses of Tanner(Micheal Kitchen) from film to film. I guess we'll just have to hold our breaths.

#11 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 15 September 2002 - 04:36 AM

Originally posted by Carver

My thoughts exactly Dave:)

I'll third those sentiments. Just because a new Bond comes in, why should there be a whole new set of people come in? It was understandable in GoldenEye. The series is strong again and the continuity would seem to work in its favor.

Except for Frederick Gray and a few secondary characters like Smithers in the '80s Bonds, the people in the office never made a great impression. I don't mind Tanner and Robinson, but don't think they really add much at all. Tanner was so much more important in the books, but the film series is separate and the need is just not there. Although I have to say I did like Robinson's obvious support of Bond during the pre-credits of TND. It showed somebody who had actual emotion rather than the tight-lipped impression they normally seem to give.

#12 cocklea

cocklea

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 40 posts

Posted 19 September 2002 - 05:56 AM

I agree with the Zoe Wannamaker for the role of M. She is quite a good actress. have u seen her in harry Potter. She really make a good Madam Hooch.

#13 Kara Milovy

Kara Milovy

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 02 October 2002 - 05:28 PM

Originally posted by Havelock

Dench is 58 years old.

Bernard Lee was 54 when he did Dr. No. I see no reason why Dench can't stay as long as Lee did (barring unforseen health problems).

I firmly believe that Moneypenny and Bond should be matched; and that Moneypenny should be replaced whenever Bond is replaced. I think it was a mistake for Lois Maxwell to stay as long as she did, but then, Roger Moore stayed too long as well. :) Samantha Bond and Pierce Brosnan have a fine spark, and I'll be sorry to see her go, but it makes sense to keep Moneypenny and Bond as a "couple."

OTOH, M is supposed to be older than Bond, and Q can be any age, so those two roles can be filled until the actor retires or is otherwise..ahem..unable to continue.

#14 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 02 October 2002 - 05:45 PM

I quite liked the idea of the rumoured Edward Woodward as M. With Woodward you could put a twist to the character that his M is a former Double-O.

For Q, I don't think I would really do it but I'd kind of like to see Kevin Weisman move his Marshall character from 'Alias' into the role of Q in the Bond series. Marshall is the freshest take on a Q type character since, well, Desmond Llewelyn.

For Moneypenny, I think an unknown would be approriate. And aged to match Bond, as others have suggested.

For Tanner, I've always pictured tanner as a bigger guy. Don't know who I'd get to play him but I wouldn't make him any smaller.

I wouldn't replace Robinson, I would just create a new character to fill his role.

#15 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 04 October 2002 - 06:28 PM

I'd like to see another "name" cast as the next M, not just for the sake of it but simply because I can think of so many British actors who might be fantastic: Alan Rickman, Michael Caine, John Hurt.... Otherwise, Judi Dench should continue, at least to "see in" the next actor to play Bond.

#16 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts
  • Location:Was on Saturn, now back in Belfast, Northern Ireland

Posted 04 October 2002 - 07:09 PM

What about the lady who plays Inspector Gold in The Bill. for M?

If Dench decides to stay on for another 10 years that'd be no problem because the lady who plays Inspector Gold (I don't know her real name) is, I think, only in her 50's now.

#17 Mourning Becomes Electra

Mourning Becomes Electra

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 04 October 2002 - 07:16 PM

Actually Judi Dench is 68 years old, but that doesn't matter, as said M is suppossed to be older (like Q) and the role is only a couple of weeks of work a year so it's not as if it cuts into her busy schedule. She'll most likely do it as long as she enjoys it and I hope she enjoys it for a long time. Tanner and MoneyPenny will most likely change (if they get a new Tanner at all) to be contemporaries of Bond. Colin Salmon as Robinson needn't be changed at all, he's young enough and his age won't come into play. But I will miss Samantha Bond and Michael Kitchen (heck, I miss him not being in DAD, he's an excellent actor and I love his small exchange with Bond in GE).

#18 Double oh Ten

Double oh Ten

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 90 posts

Posted 04 October 2002 - 08:33 PM

Well, returning to a man as M, I think that Edward Woodward would make a great head of MI6. If it had to stay as a woman I don't know who I would choose!
Sam Bond in my opinion is the best Penny and should stay in the role for at least the next three movies.

#19 Kara Milovy

Kara Milovy

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 05 October 2002 - 04:39 AM

Originally posted by Mourning Becomes Electra
Actually Judi Dench is 68 years old

I can't believe I made such a silly math error! :)

You know, I was looking at a picture of her and thinking, She really doesn't look great for 58, does she? LOL at myself! :)

#20 Havelock

Havelock

Cadet

• Crew
  • 14 posts

Posted 08 October 2002 - 08:14 AM

Inspector Gold that old hag who used to be Irene Raymond off Eastenders is appalling, a chain-smoking Z-list celebrity.

#21 Rolex

Rolex

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 448 posts

Posted 08 October 2002 - 10:35 AM

I know a perfect replacement for Judi how about Helen Mirren. As for Monneypenny whats her name from Cold Feet the actress who married the Irish guy. And finally Q should be John Cleese plenty of mileage in him.

#22 1q2w3e4r

1q2w3e4r

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1336 posts

Posted 08 October 2002 - 10:53 AM

Call me sexist. I want a male M, someone like bernard lee was. He WAS M right out of one of Fleming's novels. I think its great with Judi and she should stay as long as she wants... then I want a return to tradition screw all the PC ****.

#23 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 08 October 2002 - 05:16 PM

Irene off EastEnders, God no. How about Pauline Fowler or Dot Cotton?
Helen Mirren, Rolex, now THERE's a fantastic suggestion. But I do lean towars 1q2w3e4r's feeling that when Judi Dench leaves the series she should be replaced by a man.

#24 WarBird

WarBird

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 370 posts

Posted 11 October 2002 - 03:08 PM

When they picked the new Q they should have found someone younger. He's fine thought.

#25 00Evan

00Evan

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 45 posts

Posted 12 October 2002 - 06:14 AM

I have a funny feelimg that when Pierce goes, the MI6 staff will go, except for John Cleese, who I think will stay on for as long as his health lets him. For replacements, I think M should be an older gentleman, probably around 60, maybe Geoffrey Palmer will become M, echoing the Admiral Hargreaves to M transitioning of Robert Brown. For Moneypenny, I think an unknown actress who is up and coming at the time would be best. And for staff... I say keep Colin Salmon as Robinson, and I like the idea of Alan Rickman taking a role somewhere, maybe having him do Tanner.

Its just sad to think that once Pierce goes, so will the rest of the gang.

#26 MrJango

MrJango

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 31 posts

Posted 13 October 2002 - 08:49 AM

i dont mind Q being in his 40s, as long as bond is in his 30s. desmond was in his late 40s in FRWL, but that doesnt bother me considering connery was only 33.
of course, that wouldnt work with Brosnan, as he is in his late 40s himself right now, but when a new and younger bond takes over then a Q in his late 40s might work.
it would be especially convenient since he could do many more movies then cleese will be able to.