15 replies to this topic

#1 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 05:16 PM

On the CBn main page from doublenoughtspy...

A look back at Higson's writing for a different sort of British icon

#2 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 05:44 PM

Excellent article, spy. :tup:

How have I gone my entire life and never heard of Loadsamoney?

One wonders what Loadsamoney is doing today.

#3 doublenoughtspy

doublenoughtspy

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4122 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 07:20 PM

Thanks Zencat! I hope this might be of interest to Young Bond Dossier readers as well.

While Loadsamoney will be unknown to American audiences, they probably recognize the performer, albeit for his voice.

Harry Enfield is the voice of Travelocity's Roaming Gnome.

Delmo asked me how on earth I came up with this article.

I was in the shower a few weeks ago, and for some bizarre reason I thought of Stavros and Loadsamoney. I had seen them 20 years ago when I was in Scotland, partying, I mean studying, at the University of St. Andrews.

So I started looking for clips on youtube, etc. and I was floored when the clip with Higson came up.

I did a whole lot of digging, and I concur with one of the web sites I came across that complained about the lack of concrete info on British tv comedy in the late 80s.

#4 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 07:33 PM

Love that video that's included.

Well-researched little nugget of Bond trivia, dns. :tup:

#5 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 07:56 PM

Well he was killed! As the article says Enfield killed him off. As I remember it was on Comic Relief night and he got run over- is that right?

One of my favourite Charlie clips:

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

Yes, I know what you're thinking: British humour is rather sophisticated; you're right!

Oh go on, one more: http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

I loved these.

#6 Safari Suit

Safari Suit

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5099 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 08:37 PM

The book Wad and Peeps is hilarious if you can find it.

#7 doublenoughtspy

doublenoughtspy

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4122 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 11:03 PM

Good to hear. I ordered one for a few bucks yesterday.

#8 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 11:41 PM

Well he was killed! As the article says Enfield killed him off. As I remember it was on Comic Relief night and he got run over- is that right?

One of my favourite Charlie clips:

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

Yes, I know what you're thinking: British humour is rather sophisticated; you're right!

Oh go on, one more: http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

I loved these.

Yes, you're quite right, they killed the character off on Comic Relief night 1988, and he was indeed hit by a car. Harry Enfield and Paul Whitehouse created much funnier characters later on however, especially Smashy & Nicey and the Old Gits for example.

By the way, the inspiration for Loadsamoney came from Paul Whitehouse's friend from Newcastle, in North East England who told Paul that he had been on holiday in Spain, and lads from the South would taunt the lads from the North with money and say "Look at that. Bet you've never seen so much money before. Look at my wad!!", as, at the time, the North East was in economical dire straits, whereas London was thriving (it was the yuppie era).

Whitehouse sympathised with his friend but also thought this was very funny and would be good to take the mickey out of these cocky cockneys and so the Loadsamoney character was born.

#9 Chula

Chula

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 211 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 01:32 AM

As an American I have no idea what "The Fast Show" or Loadsamoney or who this comedian Charlie Higson was. But then I read that he had a little known band called The Higsons and I was floored. The Higsons were one of the best bands to come out of the eighties and one of my favorites.

It still is astonishing to me that the main guy from The Higsons is writing official James Bond books. The Higsons were such an ofbeat, hip, cool band and one just figured the members all just retired into poverty and obscurity as all members of cool underground bands do. It is unreal that Charlie Higson is associated with one of the world's biggest phenomenons.

I must say, I saw The Higson's live when they toured New York and I remember him quite well. His between song banter was so dry and hilarious. "And the next number is" was a phrase that he soaked for all its comedic worth. Don't ask me exactly how, but believe me, he had the crowd howling. I am not surprised he went on to a comedic TV program.

The Higsons music is very difficult to find, but if you could ever hear some, check out:
"Conspiracy
"I Don't Want To Live With Monkeys"
"It Goes Waap!"
"Tear The Whole Thing Down"
The lyrics to "Conspiracy" proved to me there were some very sharp, intelligent minds behind this band. Definitely Charlie Higson, no?

#10 doublenoughtspy

doublenoughtspy

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4122 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 12:36 PM

Could someone from Britain explain the "Eric B...on Ya Bike!" line?

I know there is a rapper named Eric B but I wasn't sure if that was the reference or not.

He does a variation of it in the Youtube Video "Loadsamoney in the country" where he tells the Vicar to get on his bike.

#11 Safari Suit

Safari Suit

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5099 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 01:09 PM

Well "On Ya Bike" was one time Chancellor (85-87) Norman Tebbit's famous quote regarding the unemployment situation at the time. He was said to have said "get on your bike and look for work" but this turned out to have been paraphrashed from a speach he made about his father.

#12 doublenoughtspy

doublenoughtspy

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4122 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 01:20 PM

Thanks Safari Suit! Mystery solved.

#13 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 05:58 PM

Thanks Zencat! I hope this might be of interest to Young Bond Dossier readers as well.

Agree. Done.

I can't seem to get Loadsamoney's voice out of my head.

#14 doublenoughtspy

doublenoughtspy

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4122 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 06:04 PM

I can't seem to get Loadsamoney's voice out of my head.

Well it popped into mine 20 years after the fact, so I totally know what you are talking about.

#15 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 08:13 PM

As an American I have no idea what "The Fast Show" or Loadsamoney or who this comedian Charlie Higson was...

For your information, ‘The Fast Show’ sometimes shows on BBC America under the name ‘Brilliant!’

#16 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 01:44 AM

The Fast Show was hit and miss, but it is definitely worth watching for the hits.

Best sketches include Ted and Ralph, Competitive Dad, the Greek News show, and Swiss Toni.