3rd person

22 replies to this topic

#1 JLMuench

JLMuench

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 56 posts

Posted 11 September 2002 - 01:41 AM

Nightfire will be a third person shooter game! Hopefully someone will fill in on these details. I think this is awesome!! I loved the 3rd person shooter. And the car levels can be 1st person!! This is shaping up to be the best game ever!!

#2 freemo

freemo

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 2995 posts

Posted 11 September 2002 - 02:25 AM

Awww Jeez, are you sure ? First Person kicks Third Person square in the nuts. :)

#3 JLMuench

JLMuench

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 56 posts

Posted 11 September 2002 - 11:50 AM

Official Playstation 2 Magazine!!!

SHAKEN, NOT THIRD

OPS2 mixed a vodka martini with David Luoto, and asked him about the decision to incorporate the new third-person perspective during key sections of the game.

"The rationale behind it was that in some situations you want to increase the drama by forcing the players view of certain things. For instance, Bond might be moving past a window and you want him to be able to see the position of the guards behind the window so that he can time his movement correctly. If you do that in first-person, you don't know where the camera's looking at any given moment." So now you'll have a better view to a kill.

#4 1q2w3e4r

1q2w3e4r

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1336 posts

Posted 11 September 2002 - 12:55 PM

It still a FPS its just got third person elements for looking around corners etc. And I agree with freemo, first person is a MUCH better layout, for all the Max Payne's theres heaps of Tomorrow Never Dies'.

#5 rafterman

rafterman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1963 posts

Posted 11 September 2002 - 04:28 PM

Bond games are better as first person...I don't want to play a game as bad as TND again....made me happy I owned a 64 so I could go back to playing GoldenEye....

#6 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 11 September 2002 - 09:32 PM

I agree, as a rule Third person is a bad format. First person makes you feel as though you are the character and your looking through their eyes. It's great when you can turn around and all of a sudden, there's a guard!
It adds to the suspense so much more.

About third person features, do you mean like strafe and sneak?

#7 freemo

freemo

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 2995 posts

Posted 12 September 2002 - 01:50 AM

First Person is alot better, like Tanger said, I like it better as you feel you're the character, rather than merely controlling him. I'll wait until I see this "new third-person perspective during key sections of the game.
" before saying too much, I mean it could be cool, but I can't really see why it's neccesary.

#8 PaulZ108

PaulZ108

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1569 posts

Posted 12 September 2002 - 02:43 AM

Third Person works in very rare instances like Max Payne and Metal Gear Solid (it worked in the first two Tomb Raider games somewhat but since then NOTHING has worked in Tomb Raider). I don't think it'd be right for a Bond game, especially after that nightmare of Tomorrow Never Dies.

#9 freemo

freemo

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 2995 posts

Posted 12 September 2002 - 02:56 AM

Why is it when I here the words "Bond game" and the word "nightmare" do I immediatly think of the words "Tomorrow Never Dies" ? :)

#10 Carver

Carver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1470 posts

Posted 12 September 2002 - 08:37 PM

I agree with what Tanger said. 3rd person may be good for looking round corners, but you can't beat first person. Its like, you are holding the gun, you are controlling it, you are the sniper, on top of the roof etc. In 1st person, you go through doors, with only a pistol, and come face to face with a fully armed guard! 1st is amazing, and 3rd is just lame, so I think that Nightfire should be 1st person, leave 3rd on the scrapheap:p

#11 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 12 September 2002 - 09:14 PM

Not sure if any of you guys have played Command & Conquer Renegade - but in this game, you can switch between 1st and 3rd person views - very handy.

#12 scaramanga1

scaramanga1

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 104 posts

Posted 12 September 2002 - 10:37 PM

This thirdperson business is not on the whole game you guys! Its just during certain scenario's for looking round the odd corner. The developers know that firstperson has proved to be better - its just adding a twist to improve the drama and the look of the game. Plus they had to bring in a way to show pierce's face more often than just the cut scenes. I'm sure its going to be ok, and won't ruin the game.
I am really confident that Nightfire will be better than AUF - and will therefore be ver close to GE if not on a parr!

#13 Carver

Carver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1470 posts

Posted 13 September 2002 - 08:54 PM

Originally posted by Dave
Not sure if any of you guys have played Command & Conquer Renegade - but in this game, you can switch between 1st and 3rd person views - very handy.

Ah, C&C, the best games ever:D

#14 Double-Oh-Zero

Double-Oh-Zero

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3167 posts

Posted 13 September 2002 - 11:57 PM

That feature to switch between 3rd and 1st was also available in Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II. That would be nifty for a Bond game. I think Bond games belong in 1st person. That way, you're not just tagging along behind Bond, you are Bond. Although it would be nice if you could choose between the two views.

#15 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 14 September 2002 - 02:34 AM

Originally posted by freemo
First Person kicks Third Person square in the nuts.

Damn right!:)

#16 freemo

freemo

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 2995 posts

Posted 14 September 2002 - 02:54 AM

What can I say, It just came to me.

This thirdperson business is not on the whole game you guys! Its just during certain scenario's for looking round the odd corner. The developers know that firstperson has proved to be better - its just adding a twist to improve the drama and the look of the game.

After the article I realised it wasn't the whole game, still doesn't sound that good IMO.

Plus they had to bring in a way to show pierce's face more often than just the cut scenes.

Yeah, that's probably why they are doing it, and it's the dumbest thing I've ever heard, "Let's add a thrid person perspective so we can show Pierce". Still, it should be a good game regardless, and I guess that's the main thing. :)

#17 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 14 September 2002 - 09:48 AM

Originally posted by Double-Oh-Zero
That feature to switch between 3rd and 1st was also available in Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II. That would be nifty for a Bond game. I think Bond games belong in 1st person. That way, you're not just tagging along behind Bond, you are Bond. Although it would be nice if you could choose between the two views.

And how could I forget: Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast!

As Freemo said, the game will be good regardless - hopefully 500% better than AUF.

#18 Carver

Carver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1470 posts

Posted 14 September 2002 - 09:21 PM

Ah yes, Star war, Dark Forces, classic, just **** graphics.
I think that it could be a way to include Pierces face more often, so then it would please more Bond fans. BTW Freemo, I love your new sig:p

#19 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 14 September 2002 - 09:38 PM

Yeah, but the thing is - if it's 3rd person - we're only going to be seeing the back of his head :)

#20 Carver

Carver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1470 posts

Posted 14 September 2002 - 09:40 PM

Oh yeah...But the camera might pan around for head shots.

#21 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 14 September 2002 - 09:45 PM

Yeah - in the cinematic parts, but not while you're running along :)

#22 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 16 September 2002 - 08:26 AM

The third person bits can be seen in the old trailer- the one that starts with the parachute dive. You can see Bond using his sticky hands to climb up a window which is being controlled in third person. There are probably others shots of this too but I can't be bothered to look.

#23 jokemaster

jokemaster

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 43 posts

Posted 16 September 2002 - 09:37 PM

SAY IT AINT SO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
TND sucked and i DONT want to see nightfire go in its footsteps

just give the franchise back to the guys who made goldeneye