21 replies to this topic

#1 Sir James

Sir James

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 08 September 2002 - 02:34 PM

There is an interestiing article on Her Majestys Secret Servant call " The Missed Oppurtouinty." Here is the link, Let me know what u think.

http://www.hmss.com/films/ohmss67/

Now imagine this:

Posted Image

Or this?:

Posted Image

#2 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 08 September 2002 - 10:37 PM

Good posters, but not something I would have wanted to have seen personally.

#3 License To Kill

License To Kill

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1556 posts

Posted 08 September 2002 - 11:13 PM

Nor I, Blue Eyes. Especially the latter of the two. I enjoyed Diana Rigg and Telly Savalas. :)

#4 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 09 September 2002 - 01:05 AM

I liked this article a lot. I have always wondered about that, and it's a damned shame it didn't happen. If only Connery would have had a better time in Japan! Damn it!

#5 Sir James

Sir James

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 09 September 2002 - 01:50 AM

Originally posted by ChandlerBing
 If only Connery would have had a better time in Japan!  Damn it!

Well man, although Connery would have been cool in OHMSS, he wanted out one way or the other, even without Japan. More later I gtg

#6 freemo

freemo

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 2995 posts

Posted 09 September 2002 - 05:53 AM

Great posters, I wish Connery had done OHMSS actually. I too liked Diana Rigg and Telly Savalas though, I would have wanted them not to be in it either.

#7 brendan007

brendan007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1512 posts

Posted 09 September 2002 - 07:57 AM

i wouldnt change a thing about the movie, its perfect

#8 Red Grant

Red Grant

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 376 posts

Posted 09 September 2002 - 12:01 PM

Originally posted by brendan007
i wouldnt change a thing about the movie, its perfect

Nope, me neither. It is good as it is. If Connery had made OHMSS after YOLT then he would have looked older, fatter and even more bored. On the other hand if it had been made after GF as originally planned or even after TB than it may have been different. It could have been made by Terence Young or Lewis Gilbert but I'm not sure that Gilbert would have made the same film as Peter Hunt. I can forgive Lazenby's few duff readings of lines and general awkwardness in the early part of the film. The rest of the film is as good as Bond films get. Lazenby brings a kind of innocence that Connery couldn't do at this stage in his Bond career. Ok he's a better actor but I'm not sure it would have been as good.

#9 rafterman

rafterman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1963 posts

Posted 09 September 2002 - 01:54 PM

I'm really happy Connery didn't do the film. I think it's perfect as is.

#10 killkenny kid

killkenny kid

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6607 posts

Posted 09 September 2002 - 02:05 PM

Thank you Red Grant. You have me thinking out side of my Connery box. Maybe it 'sa good thing he was not Bond for OHMSS. Because he looked very bored in YOLT and I never saw it before. Guess I'm too much of aaa fan.

#11 killkenny kid

killkenny kid

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6607 posts

Posted 09 September 2002 - 02:07 PM

BOY, sorry about that last post. Time to get some sleep.

#12 Tedley King

Tedley King

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 09 September 2002 - 02:43 PM

I think it was best Connery left, although I personally think he shouldn't have returned in 1971 for DAF - there he looks his age and no-where near as good as he did several years previous. But you have to live with it, there's no point in saying ... "if only..." or "what if...". It wont change a thing. I could say ... "What if BB and/or MGW were to come up to me one day and ask me if I would play James Bond for them in Bond 21". Very little chance, unfortunately.

#13 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 09 September 2002 - 04:50 PM

Originally posted by Red Grant

Nope, me neither. It is good as it is. If Connery had made OHMSS after YOLT then he would have looked older, fatter and even more bored.

Spot on. By 1969 Connery looked utterly buggered. Too many of the folk who want Connery in this film imagine 1964 Connery rather than 1969 Connery. Can't see him in it myself, and the film's perfectly good as it stands, better than many if not the best.

#14 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 09 September 2002 - 05:16 PM

Originally posted by Jim

Spot on. By 1969 Connery looked utterly buggered. Too many of the folk who want Connery in this film imagine 1964 Connery rather than 1969 Connery. Can't see him in it myself, and the film's perfectly good as it stands, better than many if not the best.

At the risk of repeating myself, ditto.

(I really should get myself a new record)

#15 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 09 September 2002 - 05:25 PM

Personally, I'd rather see Lazenby in Diamonds Are Forever.

#16 Sir James

Sir James

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 09 September 2002 - 07:11 PM

I would have liked to see OHMSS replace YOLT. And then Connery could leave and then YOLT could be a revnege thriller with Lazenby. But I agree Connery should not have come back for DAF. His "era" was hurt so much by it. But wait if that happened, then the series would have been back in a more Fleming tone, and the series would have died in the 70's as it would have then stayed on that serious tone. OMG I JUST THOUGHT OF SOMETHING: OHMSS's FALIURE IS AN INTEGRAL PART TO THE LONGEVITY OF THE SEIRES! wow chew on that, I think we can now thank Lazenby.

#17 Rolex

Rolex

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 448 posts

Posted 10 September 2002 - 10:58 AM

You are spot on Sir James, without OHMSS and George's failure at the time i don't think Bond would have continued. In a nutshell the film was doomed to fail, as the public could not accept anyone else but Connery. By bringing him back for DAF and telling the public in advance that it was a one off gave the Bond audience time to accept. Audiences went to see DAF not only because Bond is back but as Connery's swansong performance, which is why DAF is popular film with the general public still to this day, but also to many fans it

#18 brendan007

brendan007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1512 posts

Posted 10 September 2002 - 11:05 AM

and OHMSS was hardly a failure, it was one of the top grossing films in 1969, its only compared to other bond film grosses that it shows it wasnt as successful

#19 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 10 September 2002 - 04:08 PM

If it was one of the top grossing films of 69, why did it take so long for it to make its money back? I've seen the grosses somewhere and it's kinda strange they still call it a flop. Hell, even Waterworld made its money back and some uninformed people still call it a flop.

#20 Sir James

Sir James

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 10 September 2002 - 05:46 PM

Well I know that OHMSS was number one at the box office on opening weekend. But then intrest in seeing the movie just dropped, and so did attendance. It was a success. It made 80 million dollars on a 7 million dollar budget. But when just one and two films ago you came out with the cinematic icons of Goldfinger and Thunderball that well paraphraseing 006 just plain "made more money that God." It is hard to call that a success.

#21 BondNumber7

BondNumber7

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 245 posts

Posted 30 September 2002 - 08:18 PM

I think Telly Savalas was the best Blofeld, and Tracy is certainly the greatest Bond girl. I do think others make convincing arguments on why Connery was right not to get involved with OHMSS. It was just not a good time for him to jump back into the role. To my knowledge, Roger Moore was still tied up in The Saint(or am I wrong), but it was too bad they could not get him this early in the series. One of the reasons why I don't think Connery would have been good in OHMSS is because of his reputation as a tuff and ruff Scottsman and I can't imagine him holding the dead Tracy in his arms and sheding a tear. Nor can I imagine the more comical Roger doing that scene either. Maybe Lazenby, despite his obvious arrogance which I do get a kick out of, was an acceptable choice to play Bond while Connery rested. Roger Moore secured the future of the series, but Lazenby stepped into Bond while the producers needed time to think about what should happen with the future of Bond.

#22 Sir James

Sir James

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 01 October 2002 - 11:22 AM

I really think that no other Bond actor besides Brosnan could have done well in OHMSS. It had IMO one of the series toughest roles for Bond, and the Bond there was not ment for Connery or Moore. So with that said Lazenby did not do so bad!