Tight schedule and unpredictable weather conditions lead to cancellation

#2 deth

deth

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2651 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 04:48 AM

this is really sad news... these were the scenes I was actually most looking forward to.. if for no other reason than they would be so unusual in film, and especially a Bond film.

#3 The Richmond Spy

The Richmond Spy

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1586 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 05:06 AM

I agree with deth. Sad news, but I'm sure they'll make up for it!

#4 quantumofsolace

quantumofsolace

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1563 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 05:12 AM

It's okay. They'll add a cgi tidal wave.

#5 craigbegins

craigbegins

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 114 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 05:56 AM

It's okay. They'll add a cgi tidal wave.

Thank Christ for that.

#6 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 06:21 AM

ah man, that's a bummer. :tup:

#7 Skudor

Skudor

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9286 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 07:29 AM

This is sad news. I was looking forward to this. Presumably it won't affect the movie as a whole, but the chance of using the citadel won't come up again for a while.

#8 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 07:40 AM

Ah well. For the next film perhaps.

#9 YOLT

YOLT

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1533 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 08:36 AM

So what are they doing now, resting ?

#10 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 09:26 AM

There is no rest for the wicked. :tup:

#11 Whalltt

Whalltt

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 230 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 09:27 AM

Moving on to the next location...

:tup: It's a shame, though. Machu Picchu is a breathtaking place.

#12 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 09:41 AM

What a shame.

#13 Satorious

Satorious

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 470 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 10:10 AM

No Machu Picchu. Totally gutted!

As deth said, this was the bit I was most looking forward too. I hope they send the second unit down there at some point, at the very least! :tup:

#14 Double-Oh Agent

Double-Oh Agent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4325 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 10:54 AM

This is very disappointing news. Machu Picchu was one of the things I was most looking forward to seeing. It would have been a great place to shoot a Bond film and now we won't get to enjoy it. :tup:

If the poor weather is the real reason for EON backing out of the location, then I am disappointed that they didn't think of that possibility earlier and try to film there sooner. Of course, I wonder why they simply can't postpone the filming and do it later.

On the other hand, if the protests are the real reason, then I'm disgusted with the protesters and disappointed that EON won't go through with it anyway like they did in For Your Eyes Only.

Regardless of the reason, it's a sad, sad day for us Bond fans.

#15 MarcAngeDraco

MarcAngeDraco

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3312 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 10:59 AM

Well that's disappointing...

But then, I always had some doubts that it would actually happen anyway...

#16 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 10:59 AM

This is very disappointing news. Machu Picchu was one of the things I was most looking forward to seeing. It would have been a great place to shoot a Bond film and now we won't get to enjoy it. :tup:

If the poor weather is the real reason for EON backing out of the location, then I am disappointed that they didn't think of that possibility earlier and try to film there sooner. Of course, I wonder why they simply can't postpone the filming and do it later.

On the other hand, if the protests are the real reason, then I'm disgusted with the protesters and disappointed that EON won't go through with it anyway like they did in For Your Eyes Only.

Is it really? It's not that sad. Nothing's been lost, except maybe a location manager's bonus. You don't film 'sooner' or 'later' at will. And the film is to be completed in six months time and is still in production. That is tight. Besides, a later shoot only opens up more dilemmas....increased volume of tourists, summer months increasing the humidity and decreasing daily shooting hours, transport links shift and actors subsequent commmitments.

#17 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 11:23 AM

Very disappointing that Machu Picchu won't be joining the Bond universe in QUANTUM OF SOLACE. I would be interested to find out how it was being used in the movie so that it can be removed from the schedule so easily.

#18 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 11:28 AM

Jeez, let's not go overboard here. It'll be a "sad, sad day for us Bond fans" when they announce they're not making any more Bond films. EON changing a film location, on the sadness scale, is roughly on the same level of having your pizza served with the wrong topping on it.

On a practical note, if this was supposed to be a 10 day shoot, its a pretty significant scene, or scenes. What are they going to do to replace it? Film it elsewhere in some generic, less spectacular ruins, or change the script entirely?

#19 mcdonbb

mcdonbb

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 137 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 12:03 PM

Jeez, let's not go overboard here. It'll be a "sad, sad day for us Bond fans" when they announce they're not making any more Bond films. EON changing a film location, on the sadness scale, is roughly on the same level of having your pizza served with the wrong topping on it.

On a practical note, if this was supposed to be a 10 day shoot, its a pretty significant scene, or scenes. What are they going to do to replace it? Film it elsewhere in some generic, less spectacular ruins, or change the script entirely?

yeah I agree...dont go overboard...not not a sad sad day. The only thing I wonder about is if they have to modify the script who is going to do it on the spot? Or just recreate the scene someplace else.

Probably more than just weather and if safety is involved than a move that had to be done. All in all I dont think any of us are going to notice until we hear on the commentary on the far off DVD.

#20 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 12:26 PM

yeah I agree...dont go overboard...not not a sad sad day. The only thing I wonder about is if they have to modify the script who is going to do it on the spot? Or just recreate the scene someplace else.

You'd have to reckon that since there were several "ifs" about using this location, with the big If being the weather, that they had a backup location available just in case. On the DAD dvd there's a bit about how they didn't know if they'd be able to use the Iceland location for the car chase, so they looked at some other frozen areas/lakes just in case. I bet they've done the same again here and will be ready to go. I'm guessing it'll be some less famous ruins, still a pretty exotic looking place by any standards, just not a truly unique location.

#21 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 01:02 PM

You'd have to reckon that since there were several "ifs" about using this location, with the big If being the weather, that they had a backup location available just in case. On the DAD dvd there's a bit about how they didn't know if they'd be able to use the Iceland location for the car chase, so they looked at some other frozen areas/lakes just in case. I bet they've done the same again here and will be ready to go. I'm guessing it'll be some less famous ruins, still a pretty exotic looking place by any standards, just not a truly unique location.

Pinewood backlot, anyone?

On the basis that a carpark in The Cotswolds stood in for Iceland in DUD, I cheerfully expect Machu Picchu to be filmed in oh I don't know, probably The Peak District. And then augmented by some simply lovely CGI.

#22 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 01:43 PM

Pinewood backlot, anyone?

On the basis that a carpark in The Cotswolds stood in for Iceland in DUD, I cheerfully expect Machu Picchu to be filmed in oh I don't know, probably The Peak District. And then augmented by some simply lovely CGI.

Or Brent Cross? It's a crumbling relic to a bygone era...which is why it suited Brosnan so well for the car chase in TOMORROW NEVER DIES....oh I jest.....its lunchtime...I'm allowed.

#23 Judo chop

Judo chop

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7461 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 02:15 PM

I

#24 Blonde Bond

Blonde Bond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2006 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 02:42 PM

Would've looked great in the film. Though I'm not too sad of losing the location. I just hope they can recreate an exciting sequence elsewhere.

#25 Binyamin

Binyamin

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1075 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 02:57 PM

It was probably a meeting type of scene or something like that. Dialog could easily be transplanted to another, similar location. No big deal.

I'd rather them find another way instead of trying to force it with CGI and digital grading the way they did with bad weather in Die Another Day. There is no substitute for genuine film.

I love Picchus, and Machu was the best... one... ever.

So true... right up there with Stonehenge: "One of the greatest Henges in the world!" :tup:

Edited by Binyamin, 06 March 2008 - 03:00 PM.

#26 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 03:43 PM

I can't say that I'm all that upset at the loss of a location in the film. Often times, IMO, they have too many locations packed into one movie, so losing one isn't a big deal to me, and it could actually enhance the movie by allowing the story to rely less on globe-trotting and more on just telling the story that they've set out to tell.

#27 Nicolas Suszczyk

Nicolas Suszczyk

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3735 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 03:46 PM

Hope they don't cancel in Chile :tup:

#28 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 06:51 PM

Very sad news. I was really looking forward to these scenes. :tup:

#29 YOLT

YOLT

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1533 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 06:58 PM

Maybe they can go to Mexico, there are some temples there too, not great looking like Machu Picchu though.

#30 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 07:59 PM

Since this is an Indy year I was really looking forward to Bond really being at Machu Pichu...especially since Indy's south America scenes are being shot in Hawaii with second unit pick up shots at Iguazu falls. It woulda been cool to see Bond out-locale Indy. :tup:

But...I was also worried that the scene would be too contrived. I mean, why Machu Pichu? Does it figure intelligently ino the overall plot of QOS or is it just an eye candy check list moment?