18 replies to this topic

#1 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 04:59 AM

Sorry to have kept you waiting, Lazenby fans; here, from the minds of terminus, coco1997, and I comes a brand-new rewrite:

MOONRAKER (1979)

A year after the phenomenal success of The Spy Who Loved Me, EON gets a startling message: Sean Connery and Kevin McClory have finally won the rights to remake a cinematic version of Thunderball. Knowing this could jeopardize George Lazenby

#2 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 06:24 AM

Erm... anyone? :tup:

#3 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 08:19 AM

Anyone? :tup:

#4 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 08:49 AM

Be patient. This has barely been up a few hours.

#5 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 09:05 AM

Sorry, then; I guess everyone's asleep, or some such... :tup:

#6 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 08:44 PM

Well, now that everyone's awake, what do you all think? :tup:

#7 Cruiserweight

Cruiserweight

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6815 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 09:54 AM

No one can play Drax but Michael Lonsdale.No one!

#8 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 10:54 AM

Yes I agree Cruiserweight. The piece, on the whole was ok. I preffer Christoper Lee as Scarmanga and Michael Lonsdale as Drax, not the other way round.

#9 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 06:48 PM

You didn't like the YOLT homage? :tup:

#10 Cruiserweight

Cruiserweight

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6815 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 08:31 PM

Yes I agree Cruiserweight. The piece, on the whole was ok. I preffer Christoper Lee as Scarmanga and Michael Lonsdale as Drax, not the other way round.

Indeed,Drax had a dry wit to him that only Michael Lonsdale could bring to the character.

#11 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 08:37 PM

You didn't like the YOLT homage? :(

I think I preffered the countless "We have all the time in the world" references more. :tup: :tup:

#12 terminus

terminus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 08:40 PM

Some of you probably know me - but, I thought I'd reintroduce myself because Coco and Mr Blofield invited me to help them with the writing of the outline posted above. I took some notes they had made and was responsible for coming up with the outline that you see and Blofield then gave it a polish - you could say that I'm the Christopher Woods here :tup:

Anyway - if I recall correctly, then there were some differences to the version of the outline that I finished to the version posted above. Mostly minor differences, but you might find them interesting:

- I opened the movie in the Bahamas and, at one point, paid homage to FRWL with it appearing to be Bond who stole the missiles. I can't remember if I changed that in later drafts, though.

- I think the Switzerland sequences remained intact through to the outline posted above though I think it might have been clear that it was Vasilev, not Bond, from the beginning.

- I seem to recall I'd suggested Kate Bush as a candidate to sing the theme given she'd reportedly been approached to sing the theme.

- I didn't have a scene at Tracy's grave.

- I don't recall having Bond go rogue at the beginning of the picture, it was one aspect of the notes that I got sent that sat uncomfortably with me so the mission was authorised by M and Sir Frederick.

- Scotland was Ireland in an early draft, I think.

- Mary Goodnight was Gala Brand in my version of the outline if I remember right, trying to use as much of the MR novel as possible, but she was American I think.

- The 'Sydney? I've been there.' 'I know' exchange was in my draft of the outline but the car tyres getting gutted wasn't. In my draft, Bond stays at the castle of his own volition.

- I didn't use Smithers, the role here was essentially filled by Gala Brand who is revealed to be an undercover CIA operative and friend of Felix Leiter's.

- Not sure this is right, but I think in my draft that, at the point Bond sees Thomas, he saw Vasilev and, Drax catches Bond and Gala in bed (homage to AVTAK) and, by default, Vasilev doesn't die.

- Krebs does, however, after the deadly croquet match (which was in the notes that I got sent).

- Bond and Gala try to get away in the car, but the tyres have now been slashed and they have to escape on foot, pursued by the dogs. Gala has found Drax's original documents and gives them to Bond.

- Bond dumps Gala and ends up in Cairo where he tracks down Holly Goodhead who is a scientist, not someones undercover sister (which is far too familiar to GF for my liking).

- Events run as described but Bond has two Bond girls on his side, Gala (who leads some UN troops into the base) and Holly (an astronaut).

- the movie ends with Bond washing up on the beach and being found by a beautiful Greek girl whom I wanted to call Ariadne (after Ariadne in 'Colonel Sun').

#13 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 08:56 PM

Some of you probably know me - but, I thought I'd reintroduce myself because Coco and Mr Blofeld invited me to help them with the writing of the outline posted above. I took some notes they had made and was responsible for coming up with the outline that you see and Blofeld then gave it a polish - you could say that I'm the Christopher Woods here :D

Either that, or George MacDonald Fraser. :(

Anyway - if I recall correctly, then there were some differences to the version of the outline that I finished to the version posted above. Mostly minor differences, but you might find them interesting:

I know I do. :tup:

- I opened the movie in the Bahamas and, at one point, paid homage to FRWL with it appearing to be Bond who stole the missiles. I can't remember if I changed that in later drafts, though.

It still opens in the Bahamas, except the thief is now an actual character.

- I think the Switzerland sequences remained intact through to the outline posted above though I think it might have been clear that it was Vasilev, not Bond, from the beginning... I don't recall having Bond go rogue at the beginning of the picture, it was one aspect of the notes that I got sent that sat uncomfortably with me so the mission was authorised by M and Sir Frederick.

I thought it tied in well with some aspects of YOLT, and I thought it gave Bond some better character motivations.

- Scotland was Ireland in an early draft, I think.

I felt it was a nice parody of Sean Connery. :)

- Bond dumps Gala and ends up in Cairo where he tracks down Holly Goodhead who is a scientist, not someones undercover sister (which is far too familiar to GF for my liking).

Actually, in your outline, Gala gets abducted, if I remember correctly. Also, I felt having Bond being directly involved in her death (lighter ignites the rocket fuel she's painted with) gave an added burden to his character.

- Events run as described but Bond has two Bond girls on his side, Gala (who leads some UN troops into the base) and Holly (an astronaut).

Actually, your outline didn't have Drax as a Russian; I thought it was a nice homage to the novel, albeit with a changed ethnicity. :tup:

As for Mharkin, I put in all the references (as well as the YOLT-inspired ending) thinking of you. :D

#14 terminus

terminus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 10:26 PM

Hmmm, I knew I'd put the discovery of the papers down in my outline so must've not stuck in where he was from or hadn't decided whether to keep him as a Nazi (as the original novel) or change him to a Soviet.

Ah, yes, Gala gets abducted - thought it would be nice to keep the novels main girl to the end which is why I did that.

#15 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 10:35 PM

Hmmm, I knew I'd put the discovery of the papers down in my outline so must've not stuck in where he was from or hadn't decided whether to keep him as a Nazi (as the original novel) or change him to a Soviet.

Ah, yes, Gala gets abducted - thought it would be nice to keep the novels main girl to the end which is why I did that.

I liked your outline a lot, but I wanted a more intense Bond, with better character motivations, so a few things had to be changed around. :tup:

#16 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 12:04 AM

One of the last ones, folks; do pay attention. :tdown:

Now, please, get ready for coco1997, terminus, and I's latest (and long overdue) rewrite, For Your Eyes Only! :tdown:B)

#17 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 12:39 AM

Still waiting...

#18 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers