Looking forward to DEVIL MAY CARE

15 replies to this topic

#1 rahul007

rahul007

Recruit

• Crew
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 11:32 AM

Like everyone,I am also eagerly waiting for Devil May Care.There are so many people who believe that the original Flemming flavour will not be available this time. But I dont think so. The present novelist is eble enough to keep the same flavour. If I am not wrong, he already expressed his desire to keep the new story in the proper BOND way. If this will actually happen, there is nothing to worry. In fact, I want that more and more Bond stories should come in the future, so that we never lose perhaps the most exciting personality of thriller literature. The new Bond stories should also be transformed into movies. What do you think ?

#2 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 01:18 PM

I'm greatly looking forward to BOND 22, but I'm looking forward to DEVIL MAY CARE even more.

The literary Bond is in more than safe hands with Sebastian Faulks, one of the best novelists in the world. I'm actually a little disappointed that he'll be "writing as Ian Fleming" instead of using his own style; strikes me as a little like Prince setting out to make an album that sounds like an unreleased Jimi Hendrix LP - the result will probably be very convincing, and also amazing.... but why can't we have James Bond in Faulks' own "voice", which is more than good and interesting enough as it is?

Still, I have no doubt that DMC will be the best Bond novel since Fleming put his pen down for the final time.

I don't agree that DMC should be turned into a film. From what (little) we know of the plot, it wouldn't work for the Craig era. And I tend to think that the Eon and IFP Bonds should be kept apart.

#3 OmarB

OmarB

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1151 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 04:00 PM

I think he went for "As Ian Fleming" because many of the authors after Flem didn't have that flavor he did. Reading Amis, Pearson, Gardner, Benson, all great but they had their own voices but at times they (in my opinion) came across as a book with James Bond in it, rather than a James Bond book. Not a bad thing, I still love all the authors work but some of them are so radically different in approach I think it's great to see a concerted effort not only to have Bond inhabit the same world Flem left him in, but move on from there.

Damn, the name of the book escapes me now. The Gardner book with the trials for the supposed Nazi war criminal. Great book but was way too sad and way too long in getting out of the sad parts and into the James smashing face part.

#4 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 04:17 PM

I'm very much looking forward to Devil May Care. It is shaping up to be the best of the Bond entertainment that is coming this year. As I see it, this is probably one of the last chances we'll get to see Ian Fleming's James Bond in a brand new adventure. Also, even though I've stated before that I'd like to see DMC (assuming it's good) made into a movie, I'm starting to think now that it wouldn't be a good idea. First of all, it will have to be updated to fit into the present time frame, and action would have to be forced into the narrative somewhere to make it more cinema-friendly. Hopefully, they'll keep this new book (and any subsequent sequels) separate from the film franchise.

#5 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 06:03 PM

I think he went for "As Ian Fleming" because many of the authors after Flem didn't have that flavor he did. Reading Amis, Pearson, Gardner, Benson, all great but they had their own voices but at times they (in my opinion) came across as a book with James Bond in it, rather than a James Bond book. Not a bad thing, I still love all the authors work but some of them are so radically different in approach I think it's great to see a concerted effort not only to have Bond inhabit the same world Flem left him in, but move on from there.

Damn, the name of the book escapes me now. The Gardner book with the trials for the supposed Nazi war criminal. Great book but was way too sad and way too long in getting out of the sad parts and into the James smashing face part.

The Man From Barbarossa? I didn't like that one at all.

I think 'they' went with "Writing as Ian Fleming" because 'they' wanted a unique and curious way to put Fleming's name on the cover. The fact that Faulks, IFP, and Penguin were advertising the book as 80% (or whatever the % is) Fleming made it acceptable. 'They' probably made the decision and got Faulks to go along with it.

#6 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 02:21 PM

I'm very much looking forward to Devil May Care. It is shaping up to be the best of the Bond entertainment that is coming this year. As I see it, this is probably one of the last chances we'll get to see Ian Fleming's James Bond in a brand new adventure.

Indeed. I'm looking forward greatly to reading the book in one sitting. The whole thing is just one big damn mystery that seems will only be uncovered launch day.

#7 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 04:29 PM

The whole thing is just one big damn mystery that seems will only be uncovered launch day.

Well done to IFP for managing to keep everything so tightly under wraps. I'm still amazed the title of Double or Die didn't leak before publication day.

#8 killkenny kid

killkenny kid

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6607 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 07:08 PM

This will be a very special year for Bond fan. And along with By Royal Command and Quantum of Solace, I'm looking foward to reading Devil May Care, a special year indeed.

#9 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 09:24 AM

Well done to IFP for managing to keep everything so tightly under wraps. I'm still amazed the title of Double or Die didn't leak before publication day.

I agree. Good on them for keeping the lid on tight, so far. Anticipation is growing. It is a good old 'buy the book and find out for yourself' situation. In the age of leaks and the internet, the lack of spoilers is getting to us! :tup:

#10 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 05:59 AM

One month to DMC day. I'm getting very excited.

#11 quantumofsolace

quantumofsolace

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1563 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 06:06 AM

I'm excited too

#12 solace

solace

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 284 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 03:00 PM

I will be buying my copy soon but it may take a wee bit of time to read as Im working my way through the Fleming books first. Probably then Faulks onto Amis,gardner then Benson. Just finished LALD. Absolute Class.

#13 Single-O-Seven

Single-O-Seven

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1323 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 03:08 PM

I will be buying my copy soon but it may take a wee bit of time to read as Im working my way through the Fleming books first. Probably then Faulks onto Amis,gardner then Benson. Just finished LALD. Absolute Class.

And now you're on to Moonraker. A classic and one of my favourites.

Like everybody else here, I, too, am eagerly awaiting DMC, and have no doubts that it'll be a great read.

#14 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 03:50 PM

I can't wait. I'm expecting a real retro, throwback to the Bond of old tale.

#15 jwheels

jwheels

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1021 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 09:43 PM

I am very much looking forward to [post="Devil May Care"]DMC[/post]. I've been re-reading through the Fleming books to get set for it, and I'm almost done with [post="The Man with the Golden Gun"]TMWTGG[/post]. I'm also going to re-read [post="Colonel Sun"]CS[/post], to keep with the continuity.

Edited by jwheels, 28 April 2008 - 09:52 PM.

#16 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 01:44 PM

That's what I'd recommend people to do. Read all the Fleming's then Colonel Sun, then you're set to flow into DMC.