Happy Belated Birthday, Mike. 83 years strong. :(

#62 Brian Flagg

Brian Flagg

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 04:07 PM

Amazon.com has Mannix season one on sale for $25.99, so I *finally* ordered my copy!

#63 Brian Flagg

Brian Flagg

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 05:56 PM

Got Mannix DVDs yesterday and so far have only watched the pilot and "Skid Marks On a Dry Run." I like the artsy direction, the MidMod buildings, Mike Connors (and his checked sportscoats) and the scores. I can tell that the show is lagging with the Intertect angle and I look forward to future seasons when Joe is on his own and has Peggy Fair as his secretary.

BTW, that Ernie Anderson-narrated Mannix syndication pitch is worth the price of this set alone!!!

#64 TheSaint

TheSaint

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3067 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 01:35 AM

You're a regular in this thread and it took you THIS LONG to get the dvd release? Your Intertect membership privileges have been revoked!

#65 Napoleon Solo

Napoleon Solo

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1376 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 01:53 AM

You're a regular in this thread and it took you THIS LONG to get the dvd release? Your Intertect membership privileges have been revoked!

Indeed. Lew Wickersham would be most unhappy. :(

#66 Brian Flagg

Brian Flagg

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 01:03 PM

Indeed. Lew Wickersham would be most unhappy. :(

I had "budgetary reasons" for waiting until the set went down to $25.99...Besides, Mannix himself left Intertect!!! :)

#67 TheSaint

TheSaint

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3067 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 03:09 AM

I had "budgetary reasons" for waiting until the set went down to $25.99...Besides, Mannix himself left Intertect!!! :(

I've been out of work since February and I managed to get it-DeepDiscount had their 20% sale going when Mannix came out so I was able to capitalize on that-stretch my meager unemployment insurance earnings farther.

#68 Brian Flagg

Brian Flagg

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 06:37 PM

I had "budgetary reasons" for waiting until the set went down to $25.99...Besides, Mannix himself left Intertect!!! :(

I've been out of work since February and I managed to get it-DeepDiscount had their 20% sale going when Mannix came out so I was able to capitalize on that-stretch my meager unemployment insurance earnings farther.

I paid $0.99 for mine, minus the $25.00 Amazon Gift Card I got for my birthday. Plus, Mannix was on sale for $25.99, so it helped that I waited.

#69 TheSaint

TheSaint

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3067 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 02:32 AM

I paid $0.99 for mine, minus the $25.00 Amazon Gift Card I got for my birthday. Plus, Mannix was on sale for $25.99, so it helped that I waited.

Ok-you win. Membership privileges re-instated.

#70 Brian Flagg

Brian Flagg

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 05:21 PM

Ok-you win. Membership privileges re-instated.

And for that, I give you season two news:

http://tvshowsondvd....-Season-2/10493

#71 TheSaint

TheSaint

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3067 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 07:59 PM

Welcome news indeed!

#72 Napoleon Solo

Napoleon Solo

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1376 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 02:48 AM

And for that, I give you season two news:

http://tvshowsondvd....-Season-2/10493

This is great news.

Note: while there is no transition episode (e.g. actually seeing Mannix quit Intertect), one episode in season 2 does have a brief scene at Intertect. Peggy calls in a favor with somone she knows there. The guy says something like, "If Wickersham knew what I was doing, he'd fire me" or something like that.

#73 Brian Flagg

Brian Flagg

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 01:23 PM

Check out Linda Marsh's "old" nose in her S1 Mannix appearance, "The Many Deaths of Saint Christopher" compared to her "digitally remastered" schnozzola in S2 of Five-O, "Sweet Terror." Quite a difference!

#74 Brian Flagg

Brian Flagg

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 04:26 PM

Early second season box art.

Edited by Brian Flagg, 16 September 2008 - 04:27 PM.

#75 Brian Flagg

Brian Flagg

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 10:29 PM

Amazon.com has S2 of Mannix for pre-sale.

#76 TheSaint

TheSaint

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3067 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 10:43 PM

Here's the revised box art.

#77 Brian Flagg

Brian Flagg

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 11:50 PM

I like the new box art. It's ridiculous to not inlcude Peggy Fair on the cover!

Edited by Brian Flagg, 02 October 2008 - 11:51 PM.

#78 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 03 November 2008 - 08:49 AM

In Australia Foxtel has started showing the series on Fox Classics on Tuesdays at 2PM.

AND....they are showing the series from the 1st season, which, in a way, is a pity for me, because I only found out about it today and the show started last week. Having never seeing the first season (I think) that means I've missed out watching the very first ep.

Oh well, at least I can tape the rest.

#79 TheSaint

TheSaint

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3067 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 03:31 AM

You could always purchase the first season on dvd, or is it not available in Australia?

#80 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 04 November 2008 - 08:26 AM

You could always purchase the first season on dvd, or is it not available in Australia?

Have not seen Mannix anywhere in the shops here, and I'm not really prepared to invest buying just the Season 1 box set because I'm not really interested in collecting the entire series.

#81 Brian Flagg

Brian Flagg

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 12:21 AM

Why, why, why, why, why???

Mannix - The 2nd Season DVD Set's Rear Cover Art is Here!
Music changes are indicated in the specs for this early January release
Posted by David Lambert (11/18/2008)

Mannix - The 2nd Season is on the way to DVD, set to be available starting on January 6th. CBS/Paramount has now provided the rear package art for this set, and we've got it for you below. It's worth noting, however, that the specs area near the bottom of the rear artwork has the disclaimer that "Music has been changed for this home entertainment version". That's a disclaimer which was NOT present on the first season set...a situation that may be all-too-familiar to people who bought the second season sets of CBS/Paramount releases The Fugitive or My Three Sons! Would the music changes be as drastic as it was on those two titles (i.e., wholesale removal of the underscore)? We don't know at this point in time, though, and we certainly join fans in hoping that this isn't the case!

Link to this page:
http://www.tvshowson...r-Box-Art/10890

#82 Napoleon Solo

Napoleon Solo

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1376 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 03:27 AM

Why, why, why, why, why???

Mannix - The 2nd Season DVD Set's Rear Cover Art is Here!
Music changes are indicated in the specs for this early January release
Posted by David Lambert (11/18/2008)

Mannix - The 2nd Season is on the way to DVD, set to be available starting on January 6th. CBS/Paramount has now provided the rear package art for this set, and we've got it for you below. It's worth noting, however, that the specs area near the bottom of the rear artwork has the disclaimer that "Music has been changed for this home entertainment version". That's a disclaimer which was NOT present on the first season set...a situation that may be all-too-familiar to people who bought the second season sets of CBS/Paramount releases The Fugitive or My Three Sons! Would the music changes be as drastic as it was on those two titles (i.e., wholesale removal of the underscore)? We don't know at this point in time, though, and we certainly join fans in hoping that this isn't the case!

Link to this page:
http://www.tvshowson...r-Box-Art/10890

I clicked to that URL. It has been updated. According to the updated version, the webmasters have contacted CBS/Paramount and the second-season Mannix set includes all the original scores. Good thing, too -- the first episode of season 2 includes a Lalo Schifrin score, his first since the Mannix pilot.

#83 TheSaint

TheSaint

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3067 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 04:42 AM

Mannix dodged a big bullet that time, especially after the music replacement foolishness of CBS/P releases The Fugitive S2 vol.1 and My Three Sons S1 vol.1, and the cutting of songs from The Odd Couple S2-S5.

#84 TheSaint

TheSaint

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3067 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 06:40 AM

I just finished watching "A Copy of Murder" and wondered how many times has Clifton James played a sheriff? This predates his J.W.Pepper in LALD & TMWTGG and the unnamed sheriff he plays in Superman II.

#85 TheSaint

TheSaint

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3067 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 08:16 AM

I'm watching "Death in A Minor Key" guest starring future Bond villains Yaphet Kotto and Anthony Zerbe.

#86 Brian Flagg

Brian Flagg

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 07:32 PM

Mannix: The Third Season due out October 27! I still need to pick up season two! B)

Posted Image

#87 Napoleon Solo

Napoleon Solo

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1376 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 05:11 PM

Season 3 has my favorite episode, when Mannix goes back to his hometown and has to deal with his disapproving father (Victor Jory). It's also the season when they integrate the piano into the main title theme.

#88 Napoleon Solo

Napoleon Solo

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1376 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 05:12 PM

Season 3 has my favorite episode, when Mannix goes back to his hometown and has to deal with his disapproving father (Victor Jory). It's also the season when they integrate the piano into the main title theme.

#89 Brian Flagg

Brian Flagg

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 02:57 PM

Happy Birthday to Mike Connors, who turns 84 today. With any luck, my season two DVDs will arrive in the mail in honor of the occasion.

#90 Brian Flagg

Brian Flagg

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 02:42 PM

Joe Mannix kicked in my mailbox the other day. Cleaned out my rat hole of an office and picked up my last check from Intertect. Let the beatings begin.

"The Silent Cry" is a fine start to the "relaunched" Mannix. Good performances all around. And Audree Norton--"Jody"-- was pretty! She was excellent in this.

Lalo delivered an energetic score--fantastic!

BTW, 17 Paseo Verde has the same architecture as a McDonald's location I remember from the 1970s, long-since gone...

Season two is looking like a big improvement over the Intertect phase.