33 replies to this topic

#31 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 02:41 PM

I spent a good part of last year developing and pitching this movie with a major director. Even worked with the show creator, who is a great guy and told fantastic stories about the show and the world of TV at that time. Final pitch to the Weinstein Co. and Mace Neufeld (whom I endlessly respect) went VERY well. Then the Weinstein Co went into a financial tailspin and wouldn't make a decision. To this day we've not heard a yes or no. Director went off to another project and I'm tapping away on CBn. As to Crowe, he never came up.

Interesting, Zen. Did they have an actor in mind for the role back then do you know?

I would have thought somebody like Brozza would have been a better fit for it than Crowe.

I sensed a lot of politics about the star. There were a lot of fathers on this project and I think a lot of informal promises had been made over the years. It was striking how much it was never discussed. Felt like it was an internal battle that was tabled for the moment. We just worked hard on the story.

#32 dodge

dodge

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5068 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 03:14 PM

To answer my own question--and, zencat, if you missed this, I'm shocked!--the reporting different wordings of McCall's ad are both right and wrong. How's that?

In the first three episodes, the ad reads clearly: GOT A PROBLEM? ODDS AGAINST YOU? CALL THE EQUALIZER. In episode four, this changes, without explanation to: ODDS AGAINST YOU? NEED HELP? CALL THE EQUALIZER. Thereafter, it gets trickier as the ad switches back and forth from episode to episode. Good advertising, I suppose, variety being the spice.

A valuable lessons, though--one that doublenoughtspy has hammered home in the past--on the absolute necessity of checking 'facts' found on line.

#33 Safari Suit

Safari Suit

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5099 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 12:20 PM

Just a quick note for any US fans who may not be aware (and indeed for any UK fans who may not be aware), the second series of The Equalizer was released on Region 2 DVD in the UK last month by a company called Fabulous Films, who will also be releasing the third series in June, and have confirmed they intend to release the final series too. There has also been a Region 4 release of the second series (by another company).

http://www.amazon.co..._pr_product_top

So good news, especially if you live in the UK or Australia, or have the wherewithal to import DVDs. And like The Equalizer obviously.

I don't know if Bill is still around, but I have dipped back into the first season DVD recently and it has indeed grown on me. It's certainly a little absurd and perhaps a touch generic, but it's enormously entertaining. It's a series you can dip in and out of, but it's founded in enough political intrigue and drama to avoid descending into total fluff. And Woodward's distinctive presence raises it a few notches. So far the Lock Box episode has particularly stood out.

Not chomping at the bit to see an Equalizer film though; take away Woodward and the pleasures and opportunities afforded by the weekly television format and you're left with something which will most likely go over very well tread territory indeed.

#34 Bill

Bill

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 257 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:47 PM

Just saw your post, Safari Suit.

Glad you enjoyed Season One. Lock Box is indeed a great episode. The scene where he walks into the adult video store, with his incredulous response when he was asked for a 50 cents cover fee, is great!

I am reserving judgment on the film--is Denzel Washington still attached? I think that would be a mistake--McCall's half British, half American parentage is an essential element to his character. So, back to my opinion from earlier posts--Timothy Dalton is perfect for the role!