This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

what happened to composers writing the theme?

2 replies to this topic

#1 rafterman

rafterman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1963 posts

Posted 18 August 2002 - 02:15 PM

in GE, Serra didn't write the theme, that was Bono and the Edge..in TND Sheryl Crowe did it while Arnold had to deal with end titles, but Arnold got to cowrite TWINE with Don Black and now we're back to the superstar coming up with a title track that will have little to no relation with the score...why?
why can't the composer write the score and just bring in the "superstar" to sing it? Shirley didn't write her own songs, Tom Jones didn't write his and groups like A-Ha and Duran Duran collaborated, so there'd be some cohesion....
let's get back to letting the composer do the theme, especially since Arnold did a great job with TWINE...

#2 boeserzwilling

boeserzwilling

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 233 posts

Posted 18 August 2002 - 09:29 PM

EXACTLY!!!

#3 Mourning Becomes Electra

Mourning Becomes Electra

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 18 August 2002 - 09:56 PM

Was Eric Sierra not writing the theme a bad thing? :) Wasn't it bad enough he did the score and the end song? Bond and the Edge on the other hand provided the best music in the film.

Barry had one hell of a time with A-Ha and Duran Duran, in fact he wished he didn't have to collaborate with them at all.

The KD Lang song Surrender was meant to be the theme song and is used thematically in the score. It was an MGM decision I believe to use Sheryl Crow's as the title song, a mistake IMO.

Oh and Paul McCartney wrote LALD I believe w/o Bond composer help. And the composer was able to use it in the score abundantly.

Madonna wrote and recorded the title song to DAD months ago when Arnold was just starting on the score so if I he wanted to he could use it thematically.

So there's no hard and fast rule although I prefer it when the the title song is used thematically within the score and I expect Arnold to do just that.