10 replies to this topic

#1 mrmoon

mrmoon

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 17 August 2002 - 07:40 PM

As our regular members here may know - Im a huge Jamiroquai fan :), and before Madonna got the gig:(, I was constantly plugging them for it, and it is now my mission to get EON to let them do Bond21:).

As you may or may not know they apparently sent a demo song for TWINE to EON - which incidently appeared on their album synkronized, with the title Destitute Illusion. How close this is to the Bond tune they submitted is unkown.

Back in February at a gig at the Manchester Evening News arena (where I met them;).) They had done an interview with a fan for MTV show fanatic. In the interview there was a little snippet concerning Bond - Ive finally got a recorded copy - so here it is. btw for those who don't know JK is jamiroquai's front man.

Interviewer- I'm a big James Bond fan.

JK- ah good.

Interviewer - and Ive always thought you guys should do a Bond theme.

JK- do you know it man! I mean, you know, Ive got all the Bond albums at home, all the albums of the original music...

Interviewer- yeah

JK-...some of that stuff its so romantic, and so lovely, you know 'From Russia With Love'... I would want to do a more 'traditional' theme, but 'they' don't want that these days.

There you have it, a global multi-million selling act who wants to do a Bond theme. An act who love Bond, they know their stuff, they're fans and they're enthusiastic. They've shifted more records worldwide than any other UK act in the last ten years minus Oasis, and they aren't going to cause the mayhem madge has, and they certainly wont quibble about poxy cameo roles. They're quality musicians and JK is a superb songwriter.

What do you people think - do they sound like an act who could pull it off, they've got the skill, they've got the knowledge, they've got the fans, they've got the crediility, they're enthusiastic and they want to go 'Traditional'.

#2 Tim007

Tim007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4821 posts

Posted 17 August 2002 - 07:57 PM

As it will increase my number of posts, go for it, Rory! :)

#3 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 18 August 2002 - 02:08 AM

You know me, Rory, I wanted Shirley Bassey to return for Bond 20. But for Bond 21 I'm willing to give Jamorawquaeiou a chance. (If I ever could figure out how to spell their name. :) )

#4 rafterman

rafterman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1963 posts

Posted 18 August 2002 - 03:46 AM

I've never really liked their music, but the fact they want some more old school is kind of nice, I'd like to at least hear their attempt before I judged it...

#5 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 18 August 2002 - 07:13 AM

After much 'bashing' over the head by Rory :) I've become a JK fan. I write JK cause I'm in Mr *'s boat, I wouldn't have the faintest how to spell it out in full.

I wouldn't mind to hear JK do Bond 21. But I'd still really love Robbie Williams. JK would be my second choice though :)

#6 rafterman

rafterman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1963 posts

Posted 18 August 2002 - 02:06 PM

well, any way it happens, I think there should be a male singer again...

#7 Dunph

Dunph

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3826 posts

Posted 18 August 2002 - 08:16 PM

I'm all for Jamiroquai, I was excited when news filtered through back in '99 about them being candidates for the Bond Theme, they'd work with Arnold to make a danceable, retro Bond song, and I'm all for that, and although (IMHO, no offence Rory) sometimes you can pass off Jay Kay's voice for that of a woman*, I'm again, all for a male singer again.

*Note David McAlmont, co-writer of Surrender in Tomorrow Never Dies and singer of Diamonds Are Forever on Shaken And Stirred, is a bloke, yet sings alto, but he's very popular at the moment, I'm considering purchasing McAlmont and Butler's album. Womanly voices = not a bad thing.

Now...Some spelunking equipment for the large hole i've just dug myself...

#8 Bondpurist

Bondpurist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 18 August 2002 - 08:51 PM

To hell with this modern new fangled band, Elton John should do the next theme!!

#9 boeserzwilling

boeserzwilling

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 233 posts

Posted 18 August 2002 - 09:10 PM

If they work with David Arnold, they should go for it!

#10 Double-Oh-Zero

Double-Oh-Zero

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3167 posts

Posted 18 August 2002 - 09:23 PM

I think Jamiroquai would be great to do a Bond song. As long as it's not too "techno" with a lot of repetition, they'd be great. I loved their song Canned Heat, and a few others they did. I'd say put them (or just JK himself) into the running for Bond 21.:)

#11 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 18 August 2002 - 11:56 PM

I've always thought that 'Spaceman' was written with Moonraker in mind. Is there any truth to this?

Also, I think Jamiroqui would be superb. Just as long as the theme wasn't too electronic (a la Daft Punk) and the perfect mix of modern music and orchestra.