83 replies to this topic

#31 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 19 August 2002 - 05:57 PM

It funny because Glen directed OCTOPUSSY and I think that film is pitch perfect. I don't think Glen every really found the right tone with Dalton and the Dalton films. He did a good job with TLD, but LTK was definitely not his kind of film. I think he was also pretty tired. I really think LTK should have been directed by someone other than Glen. This could have made all the difference.

#32 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 19 August 2002 - 05:59 PM

Someone who could have made it more than it was. Critics were saying that summer that Bond was over, tired, washed up. The direction of that thing felt so creaky. They should have got someone like Peter Hunt--God Rest His Soul--to come back in and liven it up. If Hunt could make Lazenby work as Bond in his movie, that guy could do anything.

#33 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 19 August 2002 - 06:07 PM

Creaky is well put. I think they should have used someone completely outside of the Bond box. Someone like, oh, I don't know...whoever was the Bret Ratner of 1989. You know, some young hot director who badly wanted to do a Bond and would have really treated it as his moment to shine. They wanted to "re-invent" Bond with LTK, but how could this happen when you're using a director and crew who had just done 4 in a row (3 of which were Moore films)?

Still, I like LTK for what it is and think it's a very unique part of the Bond canon.

#34 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 19 August 2002 - 06:09 PM

Afer LTK tanked in US, there was a lot of talk about getting someone like...believe it or not....John Landis, Roger Spotiswoode, or even John Badham to come in and see what they could do to it. I'm not crazy about those directors, and I hope to God none of the other 2 get their mits on Bond in any shape or form.

#35 Bondpurist

Bondpurist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 19 August 2002 - 06:15 PM

I found LTK to be quite the opposite of tired - I thought its seriousness enlivened the series. Perhaps John Glen was a bit tired but he didn't affect the film too much. It was still great. Awful pun by the way.

#36 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 19 August 2002 - 06:16 PM

Which awful pun are you refering to? I read over your post and didn't find any pun whatsoever. Speaking of tired, don't you ever get tired of watching the same 2 Bond films?

#37 Bondpurist

Bondpurist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 19 August 2002 - 06:19 PM

No, in your post!

Afer LTK tanked in US

What is that if it isn't a pun?

#38 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 19 August 2002 - 06:24 PM

Okay, should I have said a bomb, a flop, a crushing disappointment? No, wait there were bombs in the movie, a few people flopped after they died, and the movie was still a disappointment:(

#39 Bondpurist

Bondpurist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 19 August 2002 - 06:27 PM

Well there were specificially tankers. There are bombs in most Bond films.

#40 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 19 August 2002 - 06:29 PM

Okay, I think we're agreed it was a disappointment--not a tanker or a flop--in the US. What about dud? Can I use the word dud when talking about it here in the US?

#41 Bondpurist

Bondpurist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 19 August 2002 - 06:33 PM

Certainly not !! :)

#42 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 19 August 2002 - 06:35 PM

Okay. We'll just call it the last Bond to be made for 6 yrs until they could come up with something better.

#43 Bondpurist

Bondpurist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 19 August 2002 - 06:37 PM

That had nothing to do with and you know it. The 6 year gap was because of the legal battle. Not LTK!!

#44 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 19 August 2002 - 06:40 PM

Down, Bondpurist, down! Now you sit over there and take a pill! Don't be so touchy! In my opinion they did come up with something better. Yes, there were legal battles, and there were other matters, too. I am sure someone will write a book one day about them and tell the truth. Until then, you and I can speculate.

#45 Bondpurist

Bondpurist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 19 August 2002 - 06:42 PM

The company that owned the rights to the Bond films were bought out. The new owners wanted to sell the rights to the Bond films - the Broccolis battled it out and won. Hence the delay.

#46 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 19 August 2002 - 06:46 PM

Thank you for that hysterical {read, historical} review of events, Bondpurist. A similar chain of events occurred in 1975 when Brocolli and Saltzman parted ways and there were some legal battles there, hence 3 yrs between Golden Gun and Spy Who Loved Me.

#47 Bondpurist

Bondpurist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 19 August 2002 - 06:48 PM

How was that hysterical? All I said was:
'The company that owned the rights to the Bond films were bought out. The new owners wanted to sell the rights to the Bond films - the Broccolis battled it out and won. Hence the delay.'

#48 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 19 August 2002 - 06:50 PM

Originally posted by ChandlerBing
Thank you for that hysterical {read, historical} review of events, Bondpurist.  A similar chain of events occurred in 1975 when Brocolli and Saltzman parted ways and there were some legal battles there, hence 3 yrs between Golden Gun and Spy Who Loved Me.

Please read the above posting very carefully. I WAS making an intentional bad pun there. Geez, you buy these kids books, you send them to school....

#49 Bondpurist

Bondpurist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 19 August 2002 - 06:52 PM

YOU don't because you live in another country. That was **** humour anyway.

#50 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 19 August 2002 - 06:55 PM

If you mean that was 4 star humor, flattery will get you nowhere, Bondpurist. I wasn't expecting you to say that, but thank you. Yes, I do live in another country. Thank you for noticing.

#51 Bondpurist

Bondpurist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 19 August 2002 - 06:57 PM

Ha bloody ha. Smart *** yank. You don't pay for anyone in Britain to go to school.

#52 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 19 August 2002 - 06:59 PM

Oh, that censor...they won't just let anything go by, will they? You should have wrote :). If I did pay for you to go to school, you might notice something different in your life--like actually having one!

#53 Bondpurist

Bondpurist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 19 August 2002 - 07:00 PM

English schools are much better than American schools. We actually learn something.

#54 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 19 August 2002 - 07:02 PM

If that is true, you're not being very convincing so far.

#55 IrishCrown

IrishCrown

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 19 August 2002 - 07:06 PM

Wow, so this is what it's like to sit on the sidelines while Bondpurist gets his panties in a bunch. Wow. I'm sorry I've been away from the boards for a while. If you would like, Bondpurist, I can probably come up with some reasons of my own why Dalton sucked *** as Bond.

#56 Bondpurist

Bondpurist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 19 August 2002 - 07:11 PM

Well I don't think you two ganging up on me would be very sporting. You have already told us your 'reasons' that Dalton was 'bad', and quite frankly they were laughable. Without evidence, examples, credibility.....

#57 IrishCrown

IrishCrown

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 19 August 2002 - 07:13 PM

Well, I find you laughable, Bondpurist, that's why I frequent these boards because you keep posting these things that make me laugh. I'm laughing, you're getting pissed off, see the difference? And BTW, my feelings are hurt, I thought I was being credible. I am sorry I don't have your YEARS of experience.

#58 14 20 02

14 20 02

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 104 posts

Posted 19 August 2002 - 07:25 PM

Dalton was okay.
Bondpurist, calm down with the Dalton stuff, some people just don't like Dalton.

#59 Bondpurist

Bondpurist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 19 August 2002 - 07:34 PM

I don't appreciate being called laughable. I'm not particularly pissed off - I know you're never going to agree with me and I don't really care anymore. I am calm anyway - I haven't really gone on a big rant in ages. Why do you keep delibrately trying to wind me up? Can't we just agree to disagree? :)

#60 Roebuck

Roebuck

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1870 posts

Posted 19 August 2002 - 08:07 PM

Wasn't there a writers strike around the time of LTK that prevented Richard Maibaum doing a final polish on the script?
Still, If I can overlook the bloomin Bondola then I think I can forgive a few lines of sloppy dialogue.