21 replies to this topic

#1 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 15 August 2002 - 01:10 AM

[url="http://"http://www.rollingstone.com/news/newsarticle.asp?nid=16458"]RollingStone.Com[/url] have reported that a new 'best of' James Bond CD is to his shelves in late October.

The CD, entitled The Best of Bond -- James Bond, will be released on October 22nd and will apparently feature some very interesting material. While the usual collection of Bond title songs shall appear so will Moby's recording of The James Bond Theme. However, most interesting, is the report that a new song by Garbage will appear.

There is no word yet as to what this new song is, but you can be sure when it's announced, we'll tell you.

#2 boeserzwilling

boeserzwilling

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 233 posts

Posted 15 August 2002 - 04:03 PM

I'm afraid that this song isn't new at all. They probably called it "new" because it's the first time, we hear it on a Bond compilation. And I bet that they leave out the current title song ...again.

#3 Tedley King

Tedley King

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 16 August 2002 - 01:33 AM

I've heard of one called "The Best Of Bond + Bonus" which comes out on the 16th of September. Could these be the same thing or different? What do you think the "+ Bonus" could be? I doubt it will be the Madonna title song, but who knows?

#4 Hardyboy

Hardyboy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 472 posts

Posted 16 August 2002 - 04:23 AM

Great news, but when--WHEN--will they finally remaster ALL of the Bond soundtracks and include never-heard-before material? For that matter, when will the AVTAK soundtrack be released in the UK and the Western Hemisphere?

#5 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 16 August 2002 - 05:53 AM

I echo the exact same call Hardyboy. I only own the recent albums, and don't intend to buy any of the older ones until they remaster and re-release them with new material.

#6 Carver

Carver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1470 posts

Posted 16 August 2002 - 10:54 PM

I'm sure I've laready sen an album called the best of Bond, James Bond. Anyways, I;ve been saving up for it, and now this new one comes along, aaargh! Which shall I get?:)

#7 level007

level007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 723 posts

Posted 24 August 2002 - 05:05 PM

hi

on amazon.com the best of james bond music will be released on september 17th.

level007

#8 Victor Zokas

Victor Zokas

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 210 posts

Posted 26 August 2002 - 10:51 AM

Is this "Best Of" the only CD that is coming out to celebrate the 40th anniversary? There have been several of these compliations now, so it isn't really anything special to mark the 40th. At least the 30th compilation offered some different/rare tracks.

The few soundtracks that were extended and remastered now seem to have been withdrawn, which seems a bit odd with a new movie and the 40th just around the corner.

Is there still no news anywhere on re-releases for any of the previous soundtracks?

#9 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 26 August 2002 - 10:58 AM

It probably won't be original. But this original Garbage track does sound interesting. Maybe it's another The World is not Enough song that never made the grade.

#10 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 26 August 2002 - 03:16 PM

I read somewhere that the Jeff Fair and Starr Parodi Bond theme would be present on this compilation, is this true?

#11 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 26 August 2002 - 03:25 PM

Do we know that it's not going to include such tracks as 'Gumboldt's Safe Break', and 'Nobody Does It Better End Titles [from the beginning]'?

Can't wait to hear more, anyway.

#12 Double-Oh-Zero

Double-Oh-Zero

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3167 posts

Posted 26 August 2002 - 09:45 PM

Well, I alrerady have a CD like this, although it's more homemade, with sound clips. Anyway, the Garbage track sounds cool, perhaps the one that they were going to use but never did? I'll keep my eye on this.

#13 Rich Douglas

Rich Douglas

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1105 posts

Posted 28 August 2002 - 04:09 AM

I'd be willing to bet that this is nothing more than a compilation of already released bond theme songs for the casual bond listener. The "new" garbage song will be TWINE and somehow i doubt that the goldeneye trailer music will make it on there. If it was going to be on there, why remove it from Fair and Parodi's site? Even if it isn't, i think i can safely say that most of us already have a copy of it :-) . However, there is still hope that possibly it is a 2 disc set with unreleased material... optimistic? Hell yeah i am.
There's my prediciton..

Rich

#14 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 28 August 2002 - 01:31 PM

I was a bit disapointed with the last compilation CD. Sure it had GE and TND, but it removed "Mr Kiss Kiss Bang Bang" and the 007 theme. If I just want the Bond theme songs I'll record them from my DVD's.

#15 chronicliar

chronicliar

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 169 posts

Posted 29 August 2002 - 07:25 AM

Hate to burst everyone's bubble but the track listing for the Cd is:

1. James Bond Theme - Monty Norman Orchestra
2. Goldfinger - Shirley Bassey
3. Nobody Does It Better - Carly Simon
4. View To A Kill, A - Duran Duran
5. For Your Eyes Only - Sheena Easton
6. We Have All The Time In The World - Louis Armstrong
7. Live & Let Die - Paul McCartney & Wings
8. All Time High - Rita Coolidge
9. Living Daylights, The - A-Ha
10. License To Kill - Gladys Knight
11. From Russia With Love - Matt Monro
12. Thunderball - Tom Jones
13. You Only Live Twice - Nancy Sinatra
14. Moonraker - Shirley Bassey
15. On Her Majesty's Secret Service - John Barry Orchestra
16. Man With The Golden Gun, The - Lulu
17. Diamonds Are Forever - Shirley Bassey
18. Goldeneye - Tina Turner
19. Tomorrow Never Dies - Sheryl Crow
20. World Is Not Enough, The - Garbage (bonus track)
21. James Bond Theme - Moby (bonus track)
22. James Bond Theme - Porodi-Fair (bonus track, previously unreleased)

http://www.cdunivers...&frm=lk_mysimon

go here to see for yourself. Sorry everyone about the new G song but at least the Porodi-Fair song will be released

#16 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 29 August 2002 - 07:28 AM

...yawn...

#17 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 29 August 2002 - 09:18 AM

I echo that sentiment Jim.

#18 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 29 August 2002 - 08:07 PM

You would think that for the occasion they might at least have put up the song "Do You Know How Christmas Trees Are Grown" from OHMSS and "There Was A Man" from TLD, which are fan favorites.

Yes...this soundtrack minus the new one I haven't seen before will be a major snooze. I'd rather sleep through this, rather than the movie.

Wake me when this is over.

-- Xenobia

#19 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 30 August 2002 - 07:48 AM

Originally posted by Xenobia
You would think that for the occasion they might at least have put up the song "Do You Know How Christmas Trees Are Grown" from OHMSS ...fan favorites.

-- Xenobia

Is it? Anyway, the producers of this inspired/insipid collection might want folk to buy it and listen to it, not choke with cold, clammy horror at the news that Christmas trees are grown "with love". Round my way, they're grown "in dung". Which sums the song up neatly enough.

#20 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 01 September 2002 - 03:52 AM

I can't say I'm surprised by the content of this CD. It's so predictable. Isn't there one of these out every time a new Bond film is released?

I still think the ultimate collection is the two-disc one that came out in 1992. At least that dared to mix in some oddities with the familiar. How bad is it when Garbage's theme from TWINE is considered a bonus track? And probably the only reason the Moby track is on there is he's becoming a household name. The only thing that sounds interesting is the Porodi-Fair one.

Instead, give me more expanded releases for the films. Where is AVTAK? And I want a complete score for DAF.

#21 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 01 September 2002 - 04:49 AM

Brilliantly said Turn! I'd rather see somethign released that I haven't snapped up before!

#22 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 01 September 2002 - 07:15 AM

Despite how bad it is, I'll probably buy this anyways. Oh well, at least it has that kick *** Porodi-Fair Bond theme, I love that one!