#1 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 04:33 AM

The 'Looking Back at Raymond Benson' Series

Please discuss the books in the related threads which are linked to at the bottom of each article. Thank you.

#2 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 05:32 AM

Updated with the three short stories.

#3 Harry Fawkes

Harry Fawkes

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2229 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 09:24 AM

Killing off Bond's son in Blast from the Past and putting Bond up against Draco in Never dream of Dying was what turned me off Raymond Benson, big time.

I remember thinking to myself, on both occasions: 'What bloody right has he got to turn Ian Fleming's world upside down like that and leave me, the reader, stone cold and shocked?! Somethings are sacred. Why go for such cheap shock tactics? He could have built upon those characters in a more interesting way than just simply killing one off and turning the other into a deranged revenge seeking sicko.'

Well, he lost my respect as a Bond fan for those two fouls (so to speak) which is the reason why I hold John Gardner as the best Bond writer since Fleming.

Harry

#4 eddychaput

eddychaput

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 01:14 AM

I had a couple of hours in the afternoon and I went to my local library. Out of pure instinct I did a search for some Raymond Benson material, of which I had never read. It turned out they had a copy of Doubleshot. I snatched it from the shelf, found a chair and began to read it.

I have to say, I find his use of the English language very pedestrian, and believe me, I'm no English language major or anything of the sort. I had this feeling, which I couldn't fight the more I read, that Benson had written the book for 12-14 year olds. Readers that may be mature enough for some violence, but so long as it's delivered in fairly bland language. Compared to Fleming, I thought it pailed tremendously.

The story is alright though. There is a mystery that had me hooked, although by around page 140 or so I had it figured out. Still, I really didn't like the very flat manner in which it was written.