The Missing Daylights

20 replies to this topic

#1 Dkrausee

Dkrausee

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 32 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 07:39 PM

I recently recieved a DVD copy of what of I believe to be the workprint of tld. The only question I have is that it's missing the entire section where 007 pretends to kill Pushkin and escapes and then meets Felix Leitor on the boat. So, the bootleg is different, because the rare british trailer had that stuff. ALSO, the workprint has terrible contrast/color problems, and vhs grain, but the workprint has more Video Information.

The interesting thing is that I think that this is such an early workprint that they didnt even film it, OR made the title sequence, the credits, OR recorded the music. Because it's missing all of its music except in the gunbarrel sequence, and it uses AVTAK music when DALTON jumps on the truck in the PTS.

I'm thinking about adding the deleted scene from the SE dvd (MAgic Carpet?).

It's very interesting, and once I find out ripping it I might uppload it via google video, but I think I should preserve the MISSING part of it.

#2 Byron

Byron

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1377 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 06:38 AM

I recently recieved a DVD copy of what of I believe to be the workprint of tld. The only question I have is that it's missing the entire section where 007 pretends to kill Pushkin and escapes and then meets Felix Leitor on the boat. So, the bootleg is different, because the rare british trailer had that stuff. ALSO, the workprint has terrible contrast/color problems, and vhs grain, but the workprint has more Video Information.

The interesting thing is that I think that this is such an early workprint that they didnt even film it, OR made the title sequence, the credits, OR recorded the music. Because it's missing all of its music except in the gunbarrel sequence, and it uses AVTAK music when DALTON jumps on the truck in the PTS.

It's very interesting, and once I find out ripping it I might uppload it via google video, but I think I should preserve the MISSING part of it.

So is there anything in the bootleg that did not end up in the final print? Eg the Dalton jump in the gunbarrel sequence.

#3 Dkrausee

Dkrausee

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 32 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 03:26 AM

Yes, the main thing about the bootleg is other than the famous gunbarrel, Soundtrack differences and a horibble crop/angle pirated look. If I had it Id studdey the difference.

#4 RazorBlade

RazorBlade

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 11:16 AM

How do you find this stuff? It would be cool to watch something like this.

#5 Milovy

Milovy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 145 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 03:50 PM

So is this the famous bootleg version that audiences were warned about at the close of the old Odeon trailer that Royal Dalton posted on Youtube?

#6 FLEMINGFAN

FLEMINGFAN

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 04:08 PM

I was hoping that you would keep it to yourself rather than posting it around.

(By the by, all rough prints are, usually, scored with other source music. My rough print of GOLDENEYE is scored with the music from LEON: THE PROFESSIONAL. However, my OCTOPUSSY does have some correct music on it as the scoring was done earlier than post-production. Composers hate when this is done, for obvious reasons)

#7 Dkrausee

Dkrausee

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 32 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 12:52 AM

Yo, I will not share it with anyone. Though, I cant rip it anyway. But, yeah, stop posting in this if u want it, because I wont give it to anyone. Sorry folks, and FLEMINGFAN, maybe I was too excited.

#8 Ernst Stavro Blofeld Jr.

Ernst Stavro Blofeld Jr.

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 213 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 08:25 PM

Well you post that you have it so what did you think people would say. I would love to see it as I love TLD, but I don't really download stuff so I probably wouldn't do it.

I don't really see the point of this topic unless you were willing to offer it as a download for others. You are teasing people and I believe that to be very inconsiderate on your part.

#9 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 01:31 PM

So is there anything in the bootleg that did not end up in the final print? Eg the Dalton jump in the gunbarrel sequence.

I would say so...

from Wiki:

In 1987 shortly before the release a terrible version of the film surfaced in the black market. To this day not that many people have seen this version. It was a filmed workprint, missing most action sequences, all music, and a horrible buzzing noise in the soundtrack.

Though an earlier workprint has surfaced in forums around the world, this version is very very rough. It's missing the entire Tangier section starting with Bond pretending to kill General Pushkin, and it cuts to James being captured and being taken to the Middle East. This copy also uses alternate rare dialog tracks, alternate rare shots, and the famous jumping gunbarrel.

#10 doublenoughtspy

doublenoughtspy

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4122 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 02:03 PM

It also has Dalton popping the balloon next to Saunder's body and when someone says "get a stretcher!" Dalton says "Better make that two."

#11 Milovy

Milovy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 145 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 02:51 PM

I don't mind if people post that they have a copy of something rare, but at least DESCRIBE what you have, and answer questions about it. Don't just post and go "Yay, I got it, wheeeee, look at me!"

#12 MrDraco

MrDraco

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1138 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 05:08 PM

lol.

#13 byline

byline

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 07:21 PM

It also has Dalton popping the balloon next to Saunder's body and when someone says "get a stretcher!" Dalton says "Better make that two."

Because Saunders was cut in half by the door?

I guess when I originally saw "The Living Daylights," I didn't get that at all. I just figured the explosion was what killed Saunders, not the door, itself.

#14 doublenoughtspy

doublenoughtspy

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4122 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 07:33 PM

When I first saw it that is what I thought, but then someone else pointed out that he probably meant that he would find and kill the person responsible for Saunder's death and thus need a 2nd stretcher for their body too.

#15 David_M

David_M

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1064 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 07:38 PM

Ick.

I guess if they'd left the line in, I'd have taken it to mean, "In about two minutes, the guy who did this will need a stretcher, too."

Either way, it's better off cut from the film.

#16 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 07:58 PM

(By the by, all rough prints are, usually, scored with other source music. My rough print of GOLDENEYE is scored with the music from LEON: THE PROFESSIONAL.

Which is funny considering that the song Serra ends the film on is exactly the same as a piece which plays at the end of Leon! :cooltongue:

I remember seeing this video knocking around at fairs ten years ago; I couldn't really be bothered then.

#17 FLEMINGFAN

FLEMINGFAN

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 08:55 PM

When I first saw it that is what I thought, but then someone else pointed out that he probably meant that he would find and kill the person responsible for Saunder's death and thus need a 2nd stretcher for their body too.

Saunders was sliced in half and, as one of the effects team stated "it was a beautiful effect" the way he neatly fell apart. Fortunately, they left the scene out as it was a bit too graphic and classless for a Bond film. Stuff like that always seems to be trimmed out of the Bonds, like the two additional shots to Prof. Dent's back as he was sprawled on the floor.

#18 byline

byline

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 10:22 PM

Ah, good point. In the DVD commentary, John Glen goes on a fair bit about being afraid of sliding glass doors, but I honestly didn't realize that was the intended effect until I heard him say that. I thought it was the explosion, along with the exploding glass, that killed Saunders.

#19 RazorBlade

RazorBlade

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 07:29 AM

I realize that no one can legally tell me where to find something like this but I would still like to see it. Are there any websites you can go to and download this?

#20 RedKelly

RedKelly

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 678 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 12:03 PM

I realize that no one can legally tell me where to find something like this but I would still like to see it. Are there any websites you can go to and download this?

Yes I'd like to see it too.

#21 doublenoughtspy

doublenoughtspy

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4122 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 12:42 PM

Video Watchdog #68 has a very nice report on the workprint.