31 replies to this topic

#1 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 09:08 PM

I've been sitting on this for a while, but I just got the all clear from Disney to blab the news (as well as publisher info). So:

Double or Die coming to U.S. in April 2008

Now on the CBn main page...

Posted Image
Third Young Bond novel to be published by Hyperion

-----UPDATE-----

Posted Image
Set for release on 22 April 2008

-----UPDATE-----

Posted Image
Charlie Higson's third Young Bond novel set for a US release of 22 April

-----UPDATE-----

Posted Image
Charlie Higson's third Young Bond novel now available in US bookstores

-----UPDATE-----

Posted Image
Order the third Young Bond novel at amazon.com

-----UPDATE-----

Posted Image
Paperback debut of Charlie Higson's 'Double or Die', plus new editions of 'SilverFin' and 'Blood Fever'

#2 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 09:23 PM

Why the long wait I wonder? Why not say August 2007? The book is obviously already written.

#3 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 09:29 PM

Why the long wait I wonder? Why not say August 2007? The book is obviously already written.

I never understood why it has always taken so long for Young Bond to be released stateside. I mean all they're really doing is changing the spelling and a few idioms here and there. That sort of thing shouldn't take months. Different publishers though. That's probably the reasoning. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if they re-released SilverFin and Blood Fever around that time with a stronger marketing campaign.

#4 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 09:30 PM

I was happy to get confirmation and publisher info, so I didn't want to push it. But I suspect something is up. I'm assuming the books are now free of the Miramax partnership and maybe Disney/Hyperion is planning a major relaunch of the series in the U.S. Maybe the Miramax deal extends through this year (with BF paperback) so they have to wait. Or maybe the whole Miramax thing has nothing to do with it. But I'm sure they have their reasons.

#5 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 10:03 PM

I would guess Disney is cutting Miramax/The Weinsteins out. Their publishing deal ends late 2007 and IIRC they only had the rights to the first two books. Disney apparently is waiting for the deal to expire before going ahead again. Maybe? :cooltongue: As I said, maybe they'll relaunch the series in the meantime.

#6 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 10:07 PM

I would guess Disney is cutting Miramax out. Their publishing deal ends late 2007 and IIRC they only had the rights to the first two books. Disney apparently is waiting for the deal to expire before going ahead again. As I said, maybe they'll relaunch the series in the meantime. :cooltongue:

Ah, excellent find, K1. There we go.

A relaunch would be sweet. Maybe new SF and BF paperbacks with all new uniform cover art to go with the DoD hardcover (if it is indeed a hardcover). I think the Young Bond series needs a whole new look in the U.S.

#7 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 10:11 PM

Now on the CBn main page...

Third Young Bond novel to be published by Hyperion

I would love to see a relaunch of the series in the US. There has been zero publicity thus far.

#8 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 10:29 PM

A relaunch would be sweet. Maybe new SF and BF paperbacks with all new uniform cover art to go with the DoD hardcover (if it is indeed a hardcover). I think the Young Bond series needs a whole new look in the U.S.

I'm sure some of you may disagree, but I think for America I would consider dropping "Young Bond" and come up with something that doesn't sound so childish. Stop treating the book as a children's book. I mean it is for young readers, but the kids I imagine reading this (not of the "never grown up variety" such as myself) probably don't want to be smacked in the face with the fact that it is. Kids like darker tones so I don't know why you'd write a book that has this sort of thing then market it with kind of a childish tone. I mean I don't really have any qualms about reading a Harry Potter book. They're not really marketed as children's book perhaps because everyone already knows or something. The characters being kids just kind of speaks for itself nowadays. But "Young Bond", when it first was announced and released, I had major reservations because I thought it was going to be too childish. I only read it because I'm a Bond fan and at that point I realized all of that about it being a childish tale wasn't the case.

I guess I'm just saying gun for a more general audience in terms of marketing rather than marketing it as "James Bond for kids". There's just something wrong about that. There are so many Bond fans that won't even read this series because of the marketing tone. It's a shame, but it's a reality.

#9 TheREAL008

TheREAL008

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1190 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 10:32 PM

Kind of a drag, as I'm JUST getting into the series too.

When I saw the headline on the front page my first thought was UK favoritism over America, but that doesn't exactly seem the case.

However if there's a relaunch: I'm hoping for hardback editions before new paperbacks.

#10 TheREAL008

TheREAL008

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1190 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 10:37 PM

I'm sure some of you may disagree, but I think for America I would consider dropping "Young Bond" and come up with something that doesn't sound so childish. Stop treating the book as a children's book. I mean it is for young readers, but the kids I imagine reading this (not of the "never grown up variety" such as myself) probably don't want to be smacked in the face with the fact that it is. Kids like darker tones so I don't know why you'd write a book that has this sort of thing then market it with kind of a childish tone. I mean I don't really have any qualms about reading a Harry Potter book. They're not really marketed as children's book perhaps because everyone already knows or something. The characters being kids just kind of speaks for itself nowadays. But "Young Bond", when it first was announced and released, I had major reservations because I thought it was going to be too childish. I only read it because I'm a Bond fan and at that point I realized all of that about it being a childish tale wasn't the case.

I guess I'm just saying gun for a more general audience in terms of marketing rather than marketing it as "James Bond for kids". There's just something wrong about that. There are so many Bond fans that won't even read this series because of the marketing tone. It's a shame, but it's a reality.

Actually, books such as Harry Potter, Eragon, Alex Rider (Who was there BEFORE Young Bond) Maximum Ride, Narnia, and even The Early Adventures of James Hook could be contributing to the lack of success of Young Bond. I'm sure there are polls about which Young Adult book sells the most...

#11 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 10:48 PM

I actually think the Young Bond novels need to be MORE aggressively marketed to kids. We've seen how this has worked in the UK, now we need a U.S. version. As is, there has been very little promotion, and the books themselves are too understated for U.S. bookstores (IMO). Create bold, colorful, action oriented covers. Play up the "Bond" aspect bigtime (Bond is the advantage here), and make sure they get some exposure on the shelves alongside the Potters, etc. I always find these books shoved somewhere in the Teen Fiction section, not the "series" section.

I'm sure Disney knows how to do this. The combo of Disney marketing and the name James Bond...this should be a no brainer.

#12 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 11:34 PM

I'm sure Disney knows how to do this. The combo of Disney marketing and the name James Bond...this should be a no brainer.

I still have a strange feeling with Disney in the mix. Hope that it doesn't become a literal "no brainer" with marketing it to death until it becomes unbearable.

'Winnie the Pooh' springs to mind...

#13 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 11:40 PM

I actually think the Young Bond novels need to be MORE aggressively marketed to kids. We've seen how this has worked in the UK, now we need a U.S. version. As is, there has been very little promotion, and the books themselves are too understated for U.S. bookstores (IMO). Create bold, colorful, action oriented covers. Play up the "Bond" aspect bigtime (Bond is the advantage here), and make sure they get some exposure on the shelves alongside the Potters, etc. I always find these books shoved somewhere in the Teen Fiction section, not the "series" section.

Not just more aggressively marketed to kids...but more aggressively marketed to ANYONE! I would never have even known there was a Young Bond series of books if I hadn't been reading sites like these. By comparison, I'm not the least bit interested in Harry Potter but I'm all too aware the seventh and final book is out this summer, and its called Deathly Hallows and something or other. This is the kind of marketing that burrows into your brain just by spending a few minutes in a bookstore here and there.
I agree the word YOUNG on the cover has a bit of stigma about it. I experienced an entirely new mode of slight embarrassment when I asked where I could find a book by Charlie Higson called Blood Fever, only to be led to the teen fiction section. I ALMOST felt I had to say to the lady "Uh, my nephew will be thrilled!"

#14 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 11:57 PM

I remember talking to a children's bookseller (I think at the UCLA Fest of Books) who said kids are crazy about series'. But a series needs to be a few books deep to get their attention. They love seeing several on the shelf. That's when they start. Get one....go back for the next. The "series" sells the first book.

This is why I think Disney might do well to relaunch the books as a very uniform set/series. Get them lined up on the shelf together. You can leave the Young, but emphasis the "BOND." And maybe follow Puffin's lead and release them first in paperback. Kids want to carry paperbacks in their backpacks. I think the idea of releasing the books in hardcover then waiting a year for a paperback is insane. A year! Do you remember how long a year was when you were a kid?

#15 Bon-san

Bon-san

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4124 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 03:49 AM

I really hope there is a hardback released at some point. My shelf needs it.

#16 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 05:56 PM

I really hope there is a hardback released at some point. My shelf needs it.

Heh.. yeah. My YB collection looks pretty sad on the shelf. SilverFin (US) hardcover, Blood Fever (US) hardcover (note the style is completely different) and then Double or Die in paperback :/ --- and then soon Hurricane Gold in UK hardcover that won't look like any of the others. Oh well...

#17 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 06:02 PM

I'm really hoping for a revamp of the U.S. series. All the books up to this point re-released in a uniform style. I hate that even the paperbacks are different sizes.

#18 Aussie21

Aussie21

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 615 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 11:55 PM

It's about time DoD makes its debut in the US. I imported mine upon release in the UK (and am reading it just now), but April 2008? I have trouble understanding what could be taking that long. It's not as if they're translating it into a different language.

Oh, and as for the hypothetical relaunch of the series in the US, I'm all for that. Hyperion/Miramax have done nothing but waste their opportunity in correctly marketing and advertising for YB. The series could be as big in the US as it has been in the UK, but only under proper supervision.

Edited by Aussie21, 21 June 2007 - 11:05 AM.

#19 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 03:08 AM

It's about time DoD makes it debut in the US. I imported mine upon release in the UK (and am reading it just now), but April 2008? I have trouble understanding what could be taking that long. It's not as if they're translating it into a different language.

Pssh.. if you have a better system for getting rid of all those 'u's and changing all those 's's to 'z's then speak up. :cooltongue:

It's a publisher thing. The deal, IIRC, was only for the first two books. After that things just stalled. They seem to be getting back in order.. but who knows.

#20 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 03:27 AM

This long wait has made me lose interest in the series. :cooltongue:

#21 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 04:06 PM

I don't know why you just don't get the book from Amazon or eBay, Righty. The price comes out to be about the same as a US hardcover.

Also, if a year wait puts you off the literary Bond...how are you surviving 3 years between films. :angry:

#22 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 01:43 AM

I don't know why you just don't get the book from Amazon or eBay, Righty. The price comes out to be about the same as a US hardcover.

Definitely. You can sometimes come across some really fair deals on eBay (even with the exchange rate between

#23 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 02:34 AM

-----UPDATE-----

Set for release on 22 April 2008

#24 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 06:00 PM

I just pre-ordered mine last night. :tup:

I haven't read a Young Bond book since Blood Fever in 2006! :tup:

#25 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 09:39 PM

I just pre-ordered mine last night. :tup:

I haven't read a Young Bond book since Blood Fever in 2006! :tup:

Enjoy. This is one is a different, but equally as enthralling read as Blood Fever.

#26 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 04:17 AM

-----UPDATE-----

Charlie Higson's third Young Bond novel now available in US bookstores

#27 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 10:48 PM

Amazon.com is now shipping it. I'm supposed to receive mine on Wednesday. :tup:

#28 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 02:34 AM

-----UPDATE-----

Order the third Young Bond novel at amazon.com

#29 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 06:04 PM

Just got my copy in the mail today. Love that cover!

#30 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 09:39 PM

Just got my copy in the mail today. Love that cover!

I got mine on Tuesday, a day early. :tup: