This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

How old were you when you first read 'Nobody Lives Forever'?

4 replies to this topic

#1 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 04:39 PM

How old were you when you first read John Gardner's Nobody Lives Forever--the current book in the ?

After finally tracking down a copy of Role Of Honour (I wanted to read the Gardner Bond books in order and was able to for the most part) sometime around 2003, I was finally able to start Nobody Lives Forever, having previously picked up the US Charter paperback at a used bookstore near my house. That means I would have been around 15 years old.

While the first three Gardner novels are some of his best in my opinion, Nobody Lives Forever was became and remains my favourite. The final SPECTRE confrontation, the Key West locations, a plot that was relatively straightforward, but still very exciting (the less is more option worked well here)...

Recommended.

#2 ACE

ACE

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4543 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 05:28 PM

My Gardner history here

"Take a picture of this
The fields are empty, [January 1986]
Laying in the back seat listening to Little Willie John....
"

We knew the great Roger was no Moore.
We'd been denied a Bond novel in 1985.
This was the closest thing to a Bond drought I'd known (since being bitten by a radio-active Bond fan in 1977)

There was no internet.
There were no magazines.
There was no Bond.
There was no Bond novel.

Outer darkness.
Complete.
Nothing.

Like if James Bond was oxygen and you were in outer space....

It was during this time that I took to calling Glidrose's office and having lengthy conversations with the person in charge (whom I'm still friendly with). I was then told the title of the novel in about Spring 1986. I was thrilled. I was given a few titbits as well. I fizzed like an asprin in lemonade.

By this time, I knew about hardback books. My local public library was warned months in advance and as soon as that thing came out, I devoured the wonderfully dust-jacketed book.

I LOVED it.

NOBODY LIVES FOR EVER is my favourite of the John Gardner novels. The extra time allowed for the book shows. Gardner seems to be enjoying himself. He paints wonderful pictures of the locations. There are pithy characters. The listening of an Art Tatum CD in the Bentley was priceless. The return of the ASP 9mm and the addition of the Concealable Operations Baton - waaaay cool! Sukie Tempesta was a minx - yes I did imagine her doing what Gardner suggests in the book. Key West was nicely etched. A thoroughly enjoyable read. I like the departure from structure - this felt a looser, episodic, richer piece. Unrestrained although the plot lost logic (why have a competition if you are only going to rig it yourself?). The twists and double crosses were actually fun after their absence in ROH. I thought Gardner started to make Bond his own here by continuing to use the new elements that he had created for the series - James Boldman, Predator, the Bentley, ASP 9mm, use of tradecraft etc. Hmmmm, still my favourite.

"Rock and roll just used to be for kicks
And nowadays it's politics
And after 1986 what else could be new...
"

Summer 1986.

I think this was the first hardback book I subsequently purchased. We went on a family driving tour of Europe and visited some of the novel's locations. It sealed the deal!

#3 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 05:43 PM

You've inspired me, ACE...

1986:

I'm 21, I'm living in my first apartment in Woodland Hills, and I’m giving college another try. It’s just the local community college, Pierce College, but, hey, they offer classes in film. Who would have thought one could “study” movies? Suckers. I’m sporting a bad moustache and a Filla sweatsuit – yes, it’s the ‘80s! The talk that year is all about the search for the new Bond. My “Bondage Quarterly” tells me it looks like Pierce Brosnan is in. I walk to the local mall where I find NOBODY LIVES FOREVER in Waldenbooks. A purple cover! Who would have guessed. It takes me 20 minutes to pick out a “mint” copy. The store clerk eyeballs me as if I’m a madman as I lay out the all their copies on the floor and compare spines. Yes, I’m becoming a collector. This book is good. VERY good. I really love the women in this book. It also looks great on my growing Bond bookshelf beside my AVTAK poster.

#4 ACE

ACE

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4543 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 05:49 PM

LOVE it Zen! :cooltongue: :angry: :lol:
Film classes, eh? Who'd thunk it, years later, huh? :D

#5 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 06:11 PM

Love 'em, ACE and zen. Makes me all the more anxious for Young Bond 4 and the Centenary novel. The thrill of finding a copy in a bookstore. Ordering online does have more of the guarentee factor, but is isn't as much fun in terms of collecting.